Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Ward in last nights programme..

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
London Irish said:
f***ing hell, what an idiotic witch-hunt :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: It's just one bloke's opinion, and a fair one at that. You're not FORCED to agree with him - and it's just his PERSONAL opinion, not that of the club, which is in the editorials and the mainstay of the coverage. Do we all have to think alike? I thick it's brilliant that the matchday magazine editor Roy Chuter prints stuff that challenges received wisdom and stirs things up a bit - too often the matchday programme is a thing you buy out of a sense of duty without really expecting to be surprised or diverted in any way. Mike Ward can at least be guaranteed to do that, and more power to him :clap: :clap:

I think we are seeing in this thread a bit of envy and jealously being directed at a well-heeled newer supporter of the club. Beautifully summed up by Dave saying he's after the media PR role at the club :lolol: :lolol: Yeah, we're all DESPERATE for a job with an 80 per cent pay cut :lol:

One man's 'idiotic witch hunt' is another man's passionate rant about something he feels strongly about

Great isn't it!!

:clap2:

dave the gaffer said:
if you read paul Cammlin's answer to my point in ASK THE CLUB, I think that explains things more.

I read it that we have to get rid of this rivalry thing because the "new supporters" were not around in the 70's and we are hoping to attract new supporters into Falmer who know nothing about the rivalry...............

...............well if they are anything like that patronising wanker Ward, then they can all feck off:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think "Insiders" answer is complete bollocks. If that's the case then the atmosphere at Falmer will be EVEN WORSE than it is at Withdean. loads of fans at Selhurst weren't born when the rivalry started but that didn't seem to make them anything less trhan passionate about the game.

And as for Ward's "I hate Cardiff more than palace" line, I couldn't care less about Cardiff now. They were merely midly objectionable at the time but they were no rivals of ours........How many did we take to Smeghurst????? and how many are we taking to Ninian Park. Point proven

Being a fan is all about rivalry - if there is none then there is no point to the game - the big games in football are not those that the Shampions League meeja like to drewl over, they are the ones that the fans regard as important - and THEY are the ones against the hated rival -England v Scotland, Liverpool v Man Utd, Just about everyone v Leeds, Birmingam v Villa, Liverpool v Everton, Arsenal v Spurs. Its like the Catholic church - you are either a believer or you are not a believer...

if Ward has failed to undertansd this then he needs some serious re-education (or of course he can feck off back to Highbury)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
London Irish said:
f***ing hell, what an idiotic witch-hunt :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: It's just one bloke's opinion, and a fair one at that. You're not FORCED to agree with him - and it's just his PERSONAL opinion, not that of the club, which is in the editorials and the mainstay of the coverage. Do we all have to think alike? I thick it's brilliant that the matchday magazine editor Roy Chuter prints stuff that challenges received wisdom and stirs things up a bit - too often the matchday programme is a thing you buy out of a sense of duty without really expecting to be surprised or diverted in any way. Mike Ward can at least be guaranteed to do that, and more power to him :clap: :clap:

I think we are seeing in this thread a bit of envy and jealously being directed at a well-heeled newer supporter of the club. Beautifully summed up by Dave saying he's after the media PR role at the club :lolol: :lolol: Yeah, we're all DESPERATE for a job with an 80 per cent pay cut :lol:

spoken like a true Journo....all stick together eh LI?

Sneaky George said:
Will someone please post what he actually said.

A quick precis.

Not entirely sure why I'm meant to hate Crystal Palace. Know and researched the history, Gerry Ryan etc. but all more than 20 years ago. When Palace come to play us here on Nov 20, do we really need to treat them with the same contempt? Is it a local rivalry? No, we just feel obliged to have a geographical rivalry - it's no Celtic v Rangers. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we beat Palace - recent win will live long in the memory. But for my personal satisfaction, beating Cardiff and Reading are higher up the list. I'm going to get a load if flak for saying this (nah, Mike not at all :lolol: ) but we do ourselves no favours credibility-wise by making such a big deal about Palace rivalry. I've been as guolty as everyone else, ordered the white shirt, got the PC celebratory wallpaper but I can't say I feel comfortable. We're treating it like some kind of historic giant-killing. Frankly, that belittles us. The sign of us thinking big will be when a victory like that becomes routine.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
A quick precis.

Not entirely sure why I'm meant to hate Crystal Palace. Know and researched the history, Gerry Ryan etc. but all more than 20 years ago. When Palace come to play us here on Nov 20, do we really need to treat them with the same contempt? Is it a local rivalry? No, we just feel obliged to have a geographical rivalry - it's no Celtic v Rangers. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we beat Palace - recent win will live long in the memory. But for my personal satisfaction, beating Cardiff and Reading are higher up the list. I'm going to get a load if flak for saying this (nah, Mike not at all :lolol: ) but we do ourselves no favours credibility-wise by making such a big deal about Palace rivalry. I've been as guolty as everyone else, ordered the white shirt, got the PC celebratory wallpaper but I can't say I feel comfortable. We're treating it like some kind of historic giant-killing. Frankly, that belittles us. The sign of us thinking big will be when a victory like that becomes routine.

Oh the words of a NEW fan......

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I say anyone who doesn't shoot advocate the shooting of Palace fans with their father's gun every day deserves to be BURNT.

Making him apologise?! Getting Dick Knight involved? Listen: get a life!:shootself

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
London Irish said:
A quick precis.

We're treating it like some kind of historic giant-killing. Frankly, that belittles us. The sign of us thinking big will be when a victory like that becomes routine.

What a crock of shit that paragraph is in itself, does the bloke not realise that whenever you beat your rival it is a BIG deal. That is what rivalries are all about, nothing to do with giantkillings.

All his article does is show the bloke up to be exactly what he is, a sad bandwagon jumper, who doesnt even understand his bandwagon!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
A quick precis.

Wht a load of SHIT. Why would he want to beat Reading more than Palace. That SMACKS of WANKER, that does.

London Irish said:

I think we are seeing in this thread a bit of envy and jealously being directed at a well-heeled newer supporter of the club.

That has to be the most stupid thing I have ever read from you. How can you lower yourself to such cheap comments when you usually are so inteligent and incisive?

dave the gaffer said:
spoken like a true Journo....all stick together eh LI?

That's right - honour among thiieves, we're renowned for it :lolol: Yeah, right!

No, the real reason why I feel some sympathy for what he is saying is that new supporters have to be given the right to say what they think without being bullied and put down. If he wants to think Cardiff and Reading are bigger rivals than Palace, then let him, it's a free country.

I actually personally don't agree with the burden of his article, I think history and tradition at a club are important to preserve.

But (and here I'm just guessing at his motivations for writing the piece) perhaps he was not enamoured by a lot of the ugly atmosphere that I'm sure we all felt while travelling to Selhurst. I'll be honest, if football was like that every week, I wouldn't go.

Lokki 7 said:
That has to be the most stupid thing I have ever read from you. How can you lower yourself to such cheap comments when you usually are so inteligent and incisive?

Fair enough, burn me too, I guess it's inevitable :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's obvious to me that Mike Ward is a CHARLTON fan. Having resorted to begging letters to Palace for a rivalry last week, the train spotters are now infiltrating our matchday programmes to wind down this rivalry from the other side in the vain hope that we'll forget about the scum.

Some hope...

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We're treating it like some kind of historic giant-killing. Frankly, that belittles us. The sign of us thinking big will be when a victory like that becomes routine. [/QUOTE]

I agree with that.

I think we should be pleased we have a national journalist supporting our club. The more the merrier. Good lad Mike.

Mar 24, 2005
I think Ward implied that the rivalry was something superficial and didn't run deep in Albion culture and that's what has got people's backs up. Our rivalry with Palace is far more deep and interesting and takes a lot more to explain than other simple 'geographic' rivalries...that's what makes it special and not something to be dismissed as easily as Ward did.

London Irish said:
Fair enough, burn me too, I guess it's inevitable :)

If you want to criticise, do so within the parameters of this thread. Man of harveys last post being an example. What has jealousy got to do with it? You seem guilty of dragging your personal quarrels into every thread regardless of topic. Just because others do this to you, please don't stoop to that level.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
London Irish said:
That's right - honour among thiieves, we're renowned for it :lolol: Yeah, right!

No, the real reason why I feel some sympathy for what he is saying is that new supporters have to be given the right to say what they think without being bullied and put down. If he wants to think Cardiff and Reading are bigger rivals than Palace, then let him, it's a free country.

I

I have no problem with that, however to say it in an official sanctioned match day program is abusing the authority he has ( that came out wrong but you know what I am getting at)

To show such a rediculous lack of basic club knowledge is both insulting and patronising to club members and supporters in general. And at the end of the day, who is he to suugest that we are in some way belittling the club by holding such views...who the hell does he think he is?

But he did the favourite trick that all shit stirrers do....he started it by saying ..." I know I am going to get slated for this but......." Its almost as bad as ..." I am going to play devils advocate...." or " ... Iam putting on my management hat here...." You as a Union Rep must recognise these all the time...I know do.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dick Knights Mum said:
We're treating it like some kind of historic giant-killing. Frankly, that belittles us. The sign of us thinking big will be when a victory like that becomes routine.

I agree with that.

I think we should be pleased we have a national journalist supporting our club. The more the merrier. Good lad Mike.
[/QUOTE]

you know you dont mean that you little tease

Lokki 7 said:
If you want to criticise, do so within the parameters of this thread. Man of harveys last post being an example. What has jealousy got to do with it? You seem guilty of dragging your personal quarrels into every thread regardless of topic. Just because others do this to you, please don't stoop to that level.

I stand by what I said 100 per cent. There are some on here having a go at him because of who he is (a recent fan with a prominent position at the club/media profile) rather than what he said. That doesn't mean I said that was your motivation - but you should be careful of the company you keep in this anti-Ward fest :)

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
London Irish said:
perhaps he was not enamoured by a lot of the ugly atmosphere that I'm sure we all felt while travelling to Selhurst. I'll be honest, if football was like that every week, I wouldn't go.

Maybe I'm some kind of atavistic neanderthal, but I enjoyed the atmosphere at that game tremendously, and it was because it was so tribal, it felt like the old days, standing on the terrace (in an aisle in this case, as the seats were full), screaming at the top of your lungs for 90 mins plus, a genuine sense of antipathy against the bastards in blue and red to the left and right of us and the absolutely unbridled, going-mental joy of the goal. Tops. I had no trouble travelling to or from - if you ain't looking for a fight, you've got to be very unlucky to find one in my experience.

I did get off a train on the way back into London as it was full of Palace 'boys' who weren't best pleased to see me, but the minor inconvenience of waiting a few extra minutes for a train was far, far outweighed by the feeling that beating the scum had engendered. Would it stop me going? Not a f***ing chance.

Ward hasn't been brought up a Brighton fan, so he doesn't understand the almost genetic dislike of that lot that many of us have. He's also a journo, so on a purely pragmatic level, he's got what he wants - reaction and discussion to something he's written. Just doing his job, however strongly we disagree with him. You don't have to buy the programme, you don't buy the Mail if you hate right-wing, middle England rhetoric do you?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
dave the gaffer said:
you know you dont mean that you little tease [/B]

I do actually. I didn't go as it happens - I have not recovered from the last visit and preferred to go to Wednesday. But the way some people carried on even after the initial euphoria - you would think we beat Real Madrid - not some tin-pot outfit from the arse-end of London.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here