Mike Ward in last nights programme..

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
But if he said "some people seem to care more about "hating" Palace than they do about staying up and/or getting Falmer", then I'd agree with him. Still can't be arsed to go and check though.

That bit is true :shootself

Given that we all seem to feel the same about this, and its us mugs that pay £3 for the progamme, shouldn't we do something about it? How about a print off of this thread sent to the editer of Seagull (Roy Chuter) and perhaps also DK? I don't want to read a Mike Ward column in the Palace edition unless there is an apology for being so out of touch with the supporters of this club.

dull boy

Oct 11, 2005
its a difficult one to be unbiaised as i dont rate his writing anyway. but the crap he come out with in the programme was a real insite into how he obviouisly doesnt get the point about being brighton. i suppose it was printed to distance the club from the trouble at palace such as it was but that doesnt excuse him fron just not understanding rivalry and supporting your club.

blokes a self advertising bore and if he cant work this kind of thing out for himself then he should just give it a rest.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
To be honest for a bloke who has only been supporting the club for a few years to say it belittles the club to have a rivalry with us is frankly disgraceful. The Palace and Brighton rivalry runs very deep on both sides and is the fabric of both clubs, he was never there on those Boxing day games in the late 70's when you could taste the rivalry in the air i have never had so much adrenaline rushing through my body as i had before, during and after those games and for an ex Arsenal glory hunting goon to have a pop at Brighton fans for it is quite honestly unforgiveable because he obviously doesnt have the first clue about the club he proclaims to support!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
He claimed that Palace dont care about the fixture either, which it certainly seemed to be the case after you beat us 5-0 and after we beat you last month. A visit to the BBS the day after would have taught him plenty about how upset Palace were at losing to us.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Albion Dan said:
He claimed that Palace dont care about the fixture either, which it certainly seemed to be the case after you beat us 5-0 and after we beat you last month. A visit to the BBS the day after would have taught him plenty about how upset Palace were at losing to us.

Palace fans were plenty upset dont you worry about that

Do you think he even went to Selhurst? Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
The problem with the rivalry is that because of the events of the past 10 years or so the younger fans at palace in any case cant understand it. They see Millwall as the scum, but to the older Palace fans its Brighton we loathe

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
So what was the general gyst of the article?

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
It seems that because he has been cocooned in his safe Highbury World where they just sit and clap if they score ( i have witnessed it), he has lost grip on what being a real football fan is like. Football without fierce rivals is like Apple Crumble without custard

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
if you read paul Cammlin's answer to my point in ASK THE CLUB, I think that explains things more.

I read it that we have to get rid of this rivalry thing because the "new supporters" were not around in the 70's and we are hoping to attract new supporters into Falmer who know nothing about the rivalry...............

...............well if they are anything like that patronising wanker Ward, then they can all feck off:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

dave the gaffer said:

I read it that we have to get rid of this rivalry thing because the "new supporters" were not around in the 70's and we are hoping to attract new supporters into Falmer who know nothing about the rivalry...............

Will these new supporters prefer it if we changed our stripes to checks which are SO this season? Would they rather we don't sing as it can cause headaches? Would they rather we kept our comments to ourselves, sat down with our prawn sandwiches and read OK magazine at half time? Would they like us to forget our past and traditions, and sell the heart and soul of our beloved football club like those !!!!! archer and bell end tried to do? If so, I'm with Dave the Gaffer.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
dave the gaffer said:
if you read paul Cammlin's answer to my point in ASK THE CLUB, I think that explains things more.

...............well if they are anything like that patronising wanker Ward, then they can all feck off:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Im a fairly new supporter (started about 2002) and did not know a lot about why the rival ran so deep. Now i have been on here and ready other places i fully understand and i too now hate the scum. Mike Ward is a wanker i read the colum last night and thought f*** off back to Arsenal you !!!! its one thing to not understand but its another to call fans stupid because your to f***ing lazy to actually research it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
See my comments on ATC

i am not going to let this berk get away with this

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Insiders reply has since been edited.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
AJ's Love Monkey said:
To be honest for a bloke who has only been supporting the club for a few years to say it belittles the club to have a rivalry with us is frankly disgraceful. The Palace and Brighton rivalry runs very deep on both sides and is the fabric of both clubs, he was never there on those Boxing day games in the late 70's when you could taste the rivalry in the air i have never had so much adrenaline rushing through my body as i had before, during and after those games and for an ex Arsenal glory hunting goon to have a pop at Brighton fans for it is quite honestly unforgiveable because he obviously doesnt have the first clue about the club he proclaims to support!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Those of us who grew up with the games in the 70s that has spawned the 'rivalry' will never forget the atmosphere generated by those games. For anyone to come in with sweeping generalisations about what it means to the fans is, quite frankly, insulting.

Mike Ward is a clever writer who has opened a number of doors regarding publicity for Falmer and for that we should be grateful.

His writing is now, imho, a tired regurgitation of many of the lines seen in Gullhanger. This is OK for the TV pages in The Star but has surely run it's course for the programme.

You have dropped a big ricket here Wardy and it will be interesting to read your response!

Mar 24, 2005
dave the gaffer said:
See my comments on ATC

i am not going to let this berk get away with this

Good on you, Dave.

I don't even understand why the club allowed the article considering elsewhere in the programme the Palace game is called legendary and the fact that they've made a few thousand out of selling the shirts from that game; the price that McShanes shirt sold for being the biggest indicator of what this meant to us.

I'm all for balanced opinions in everything I read; but I don't think you'd find many true Albion fans that would agree with Ward, not even from the younger generation who don't understand the full extent of the rivalry but still appreciate the history of the club and fans!

f***ing hell, what an idiotic witch-hunt :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: It's just one bloke's opinion, and a fair one at that. You're not FORCED to agree with him - and it's just his PERSONAL opinion, not that of the club, which is in the editorials and the mainstay of the coverage. Do we all have to think alike? I thick it's brilliant that the matchday magazine editor Roy Chuter prints stuff that challenges received wisdom and stirs things up a bit - too often the matchday programme is a thing you buy out of a sense of duty without really expecting to be surprised or diverted in any way. Mike Ward can at least be guaranteed to do that, and more power to him :clap: :clap:

I think we are seeing in this thread a bit of envy and jealously being directed at a well-heeled newer supporter of the club. Beautifully summed up by Dave saying he's after the media PR role at the club :lolol: :lolol: Yeah, we're all DESPERATE for a job with an 80 per cent pay cut :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports