Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Middlesbrough v Reading

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
That's asking too much! If Reading are 0-2 up at half-time, I would pleased with a draw. Might even be if they were 0-2 up with five minutes to go!

I can't see anything but a win for Burnley at Birmingham either.

I firmly believe Burnley are wobbling - Truly awful at times against Leeds. Huge pressure on them now, especially if we pop ahead of them Friday night. That might just get to them at Brum.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So hard to work out. Do we want Boro needing a win last game? No.
I know what you're getting at, but if they have to win their last game, then we're ahead of them, and only need a draw. Yes please.

On the other hand what if they lose to Burnley, a result we all think will go Boros way.
I'm not so sure it will. Burnley are due a loss, but the fact remains they haven't lost in ages, so they probably won't at home next Tuesday.

I dispute the logic of wanting any team around us to win any games.
At this stage, I agree.
To want Boro to win the title before we play them, on the basis that they roll over on the last game is funny. :lolol:
Is it? Which of these would we prefer (prior to last game of the season):

a)
Middlesbrough - 87 points
Brighton - 86 points
Burnley - 85 points

or

b)
Middlesbrough - 89 points
Brighton - 86 points
Burnley - 85 points

In both scenarios we have to win (guaranteeing promotion), or we'll probably be in the playoffs (Burnley play Charlton).
Scenario a), Middlesbrough have to get a point or they're probably in the playoffs.
Scenario b), Middlesbrough are already champions, have been celebrating a little, and are thinking of the PL.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
HELP!
So who do I have to cheer for tonight. Everyone has differing opinions.
Me?
Burnley are our target. In reality it would be great for Boro to win all their next 5 games, including Burnley away, so that their last game is just one big party, spoilt only by us beating them.

Exactly this.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
In both scenarios we have to win (guaranteeing promotion), or we'll probably be in the playoffs (Burnley play Charlton).
Scenario a), Middlesbrough have to get a point or they're probably in the playoffs.
Scenario b), Middlesbrough are already champions, have been celebrating a little, and are thinking of the PL.

How about the scenario of Burnley and Boro slipping up and us securing promotion before we play Boro. Boro and Burnley both need the win and possibly goal difference on the last game. We lose 3-0 to Boro and have a great day.

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
Haven't read the whole thread but is this match on Sky tonight? If not I guess SSN will cover this with the Champs League games and show any goals soon after they are scored (hopefully none for Boro!)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How about the scenario of Burnley and Boro slipping up and us securing promotion before we play Boro.
Which is why I am supporting Reading tonight. I'm just saying it is possible for us to want them to have more points. But it's too early for that.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Karanka quoted in the Sun today ( just happened to find a copy lying around in the pub) as saying 'The players are really tired and I need to think a lot about the team. We have to check them,speak with the players and with the doctors.' Strange statement to make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Karanka quoted in the Sun today ( just happened to find a copy lying around in the pub) as saying 'The players are really tired and I need to think a lot about the team. We have to check them,speak with the players and with the doctors.' Strange statement to make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's because he is a strange man.
I am hoping for another meltdown very shortly.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Interesting to see how Boro fans seem a bit nervous on there forums. If we were in there position, I'd be happy as Larry counting down the days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here