Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Middlesbrough opinion of us

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Lol fair do's but that doesn't mean when you have conceded it wasn't due to counter attacks & I think you're slightly deluded if you think you don't have any weaknesses.

:). i do think have weaknesses, just reacting to a wave of comments ( some from our fans too ) on counter attacks. A long way to go, i am counting no chickens, lots can go wrong

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
remember a few years ago when you were averaging 7k?

At the 7k capacity Withdean you mean? Yes, we remember that.

Do you know anything at all about our history, or have you just found that stat online somewhere and thought "Ah - ha - Brighton are tinpot!"?

Dec 6, 2015
The only thing that irks me is that whilst I'm totally with their fans in relation to the support for the local steel workers, chairman Steve Gibson claims to do the same and has been slagging off anyone who will listen whilst conveniently forgetting that the new Boro stadium was built with German steel.

No British steel firm could accommodate the requirements at the time of build and they club had time constraints.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/german-steel-used-build-riverside-10291098

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The only thing that irks me is that whilst I'm totally with their fans in relation to the support for the local steel workers, chairman Steve Gibson claims to do the same and has been slagging off anyone who will listen whilst conveniently forgetting that the new Boro stadium was built with German steel.

So what? He is to Boro what Tony is to us. All this f**king knit picking is childish. Get over yourself.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I agree with you to a point but is it any different to those amongst us on NSC who have stated that failing to get promoted under Gus was a disgrace as we had such a good squad, whilst ignoring that we had only the tenth largest budget in the division?

I'm not particularly familiar with the vast majority of players in this division, not too sure how many of us can put hand on heart and name eight Leeds, Wednesday, Charlton, MK Dons players if they were asked to do so.

We all operate in a knowledge vacuum and tend to focus on what's closest to home.

Boro have spent big, it's no surprise to see them doing well and if we finish one place above or below them it will have been a great season IMO.

That is our fans criticising our own team though. It's just the assertion that we can't possibly have had any injuries and the like without actually knowing that is annoying.

A week or so back I had a peek on there and some guy was saying that we're where we are because we always seem to be playing at home. It took me just a few seconds to look on the BBC previous results section to see that most of our games this season have been on a one at home followed by one away sequence. On the odd occasion we have had two at home they've been followed by two away.

Same with the "not played any top teams argument". Four more matches and we'll all have played every team once, and even if we hadn't played many of the top teams (which we have) those top teams would also not have played us. Who's to say that those points wouldn't be going in our direction.

I really couldn't care what other teams think of us, but just don't get why there seems to be an agenda of not affording us the credit that our team richly deserves.

But hey, as a previous poster on here said underdogs suits me fine.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Capacity of 8k

Look at these averages, not really filling the ground

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bha.htm

You sad, sad man. Trying to dig up facts on the internet has left you woefully exposed.

1. When Withdean opened it had a capacity of around 6000. When we returned to Brighton to play there in 1999, the attendance for the first game, a 6-0 thrashing of Mansfield, was 5,882. Every home seat was sold. I can't recall much about the number of away fans that day, but there's little most clubs can do to fill away ends.

2. We consistently filled The Theatre of Trees, so much so that it was expanded with additional (but very much temporary) stands were put in.

3. Did we sell out every game for entire tenure at Withdean? No, certainly not. Away fans had to visit Withdean and sit in the open getting wet through once a season. We had to do it 23+ times a season. At times it was utterly miserable. Despite that I believe that Withdean topped the %age of capacity full statistics year after year, division after division.

4. Since we finally got the stadium the club needed, the people of Sussex have come out in huge number. Last season you were pushing for promotion and averaged 19,771. We were dreadful and scrapping relegation and averaged 25,649. It is the people of Middlesbrough who need to take a long hard look at themselves, not us.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
You sad, sad man. Trying to dig up facts on the internet has left you woefully exposed.

1. When Withdean opened it had a capacity of around 6000. When we returned to Brighton to play there in 1999, the attendance for the first game, a 6-0 thrashing of Mansfield, was 5,882. Every home seat was sold. I can't recall much about the number of away fans that day, but there's little most clubs can do to fill away ends.

2. We consistently filled The Theatre of Trees, so much so that it was expanded with additional (but very much temporary) stands were put in.

3. Did we sell out every game for entire tenure at Withdean? No, certainly not. Away fans had to visit Withdean and sit in the open getting wet through once a season. We had to do it 23+ times a season. At times it was utterly miserable. Despite that I believe that Withdean topped the %age of capacity full statistics year after year, division after division.

4. Since we finally got the stadium the club needed, the people of Sussex have come out in huge number. Last season you were pushing for promotion and averaged 19,771. We were dreadful and scrapping relegation and averaged 25,649. It is the people of Middlesbrough who need to take a long hard look at themselves, not us.

Sorry Bozza, but there were periods at Withdean when a lack of 'bums on seats' was becoming an issue. Champions league nights tended to bring in the worst attendances. The wings of the South stand usually had empty seats.

You make it out as if we packed out the Withdean every season, which isn't true.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I still don't get how we get berated for crowds, you cannot fit 24k in an 8k stadium. Is that so hard to understand?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sorry Bozza, but there were periods at Withdean when a lack of 'bums on seats' was becoming an issue. Champions league nights tended to bring in the worst attendances. The wings of the South stand usually had empty seats.

You make it out as if we packed out the Withdean every season, which isn't true.

But we still sold 90% plus every game (league).

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I still don't get how we get berated for crowds, you cannot fit 24k in an 8k stadium. Is that so hard to understand?
Of course you cant, but you can fit 8k into an 8k stadium and it very rarely happened

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here