Micky Adams back as manager

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I wonder whether it wasn't wilkins' decision to get rid of the players he did....

according to adams interview on seagulls world, there may be a way back for some of those released, which would suggest it was

greengoeskiwi

May 7, 2008
I havent read the whole thread, mainly cos i havent got an evening to spare to read it, but like most thought it was a joke by my yeovil supporting friend (like me telling him gary Johnson is back) lol
But I am in 2 minds, wilkins was good, but there were times through the season where i silently cursed him and his tactics, 2 games spring to mind, prt vale, mansfiled, and now I come to think of it, both yeovil games this year.
I think Micky is right for the club but I can help thinking im seeing things through Rose tinted specs, like when you only remember good points and blank the bad.
Im looking forward to the new year and see what it brings, and what the squad will look like on the first game.
I remember the question on hartys show how many players from the 1st 16 against swansea, will be in the 1st 16 at the start of next season, bet no-one saw this coming then.
I think in the long run it will be great as Adams seems to know what he's doing and even when he wasnt manager seemed devoted to the albion eg falmer protest marches etc.
I think its a good call but will be sad to see wilkins step down. Hope to see him do well in the future even if its not with us.
I wonder who;s decision the player contracts were now, and how long this has been in the pipe line.
ANyway, this is longer than I planned:albion2:

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
it sounds like a good move, but lets not forget Mullery came back after one successful spell and look what happened then, the juries out for me on this one

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Hmm, dont really know what to think, but some things said over the last few days are ringing home,

First we annouce a 2.8million loss and one of the major factors listed was the loss of championship football, so DK will want to rectify that as soon as possible and may not see Wilkins as the man to do it, remember he took a team that played in the championship to the brink of a double relegation the season later.

If DK is interferring as much in player purchase and contract renewals as has been thought then he would not have sanctioned the release of the 10 players if he thought MA would want them. Maybe he has let DW take the rap for ripping the team apart in readyness for MA doing a rebuild, its then not the new guy destabalising the team so less pressure on MA from the fans. If MA did still want any of the players then I am sure he will have been in contact with them already saying he is in charge and DW made the choice to release them.

As for the 3 year contract, thats probably DK getting ready for Falmer and making sure if MA does another dump us for someone bigger we will at least get some cash. But if I recall from 7 years ago wasnt one of the main reasons MA left was because there was no date when the stadium would be ready and no sign of anything in the future? At least that is taken care of now.

MA as has been said may well get more bums on seats and with a new stadium to fill we are going to need sell outs at Withdean the season before and a successful season to generate the interest to carry forward to Falmer. DK will have done the maths and 14 thousand empty seats at Falmer will not pay the bills.

I cant see MA tapping up Leicester for players with them joining us next season BUT he may well get Virgo back for a season at least. He took him on loan at Coventry (I think) and helped get him to Colchester before walking out in January saying he wanted to be a manager again not an assistant (so their recent form is nothing at all to do with him). He will also have connections with experienced player to replace the likes of Butters who will be looking to get on the coaching ladder and help develop the younger players as a mentor.

He did get Leicester back into the Premiership on a shoestring so its not all doom and gloom since he left us. Dave Bassett would not have been saked if the team was good enough to stay in the Premiership.

At the time I felt DW was a bad move, I looked at the last few appointments from within the club (Wood, Hinshelwood) and thought it would be another disaster but give the man his due I dont think most fans would have thought 7th place was possible this season but again its not as if we just missed out on a playoff place, we were 7 points off and most other seasons 7 points off the playoff might have scraped a top 10 finish.

Interesting times ahead and DK has done it at the right time, better it done early May than early August or after a month into the season. At least MA can build the side around the core players and get his own in.

Anyway I have waffled enough so will shut up now :)

Last edited:

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
according to adams interview on seagulls world, there may be a way back for some of those released, which would suggest it was

He also said in that interview that since his last time with The Albion he is a little bit older, a little bit wiser, a little bit greyer and a little bit fatter.

In response to that I've only got one comment to make, "Little Legs, you aren't any taller are you?" I will add, "So next time you are being interviewed BLOODY WELL STAND UP!"

Welcome back Gaffer.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
Driving to work in Bognor this morning listening to SCR, Neil Pringle was interviewing Liz Costa and mentioned the activity on NSC surrounding Micky's appointment. He read out a couple of threads and as usual I was letting his waffle drift over my head as I normally do with Pringle when I suddenly realised he was reading out my thread(No.266) . Nearly crashed the car !! Fame at last!!

:albion2::ascarf::albion2::albion1:

derek furlong

Mar 16, 2007
worthing
This man knows how to motivate football players,and organise a side, more than capable of getting out of this wretched division.
Unfortuneately for Dean,big decisions needed to be made regarding the fan base and apathy currently surrounding The Albion.The club cannot hang around one season longer,we need to 'Glam up'.
Sorry.No sentiment allowed!

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
This man knows how to motivate football players,and organise a side, more than capable of getting out of this wretched division.
Unfortuneately for Dean,big decisions needed to be made regarding the fan base and apathy currently surrounding The Albion.The club cannot hang around one season longer,we need to 'Glam up'.

nice one Del :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
having just about 24 hrs been thinking what happens this time next year if we don't get promotion? Does Adams get the sack or moved upstairs/downstairs for someone else, how long will the legend status last for him say Xmas comes and we are only mid table playing shocking football. The only way he wins is by getting promotion next season otherwise some tough questions may be asked. Still find this a very strange decision and really don't see how Wilkins can accept a lesser role having had the top job, a move to coach in the championship/premiership would be best for him IMO

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

As sorry as I feel for Wilkins, this is a good point well made.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
My first chance to comment on this business since I heard about it first thing this morning. So what follows is not a knee jerk reaction.

I am sure this has been done for one reason: ££££s. DK may feel that MA has a better prospect of bringing promotion before we move into the new stadium, and in the meantime put more bums on seat. I doubt also whether this is solely Dick's decision, those others investing in the club will also want to exert their influence.

We will never know what has been going on at the club in the last few months, unless someone has a tape in which we want to hear it now!:D However personally I'm not certain that DW was the man to get us up next season. In many games I saw experienced players looking to the bench for advice and seemingly uncertain what the manager wanted. It was always the opposition who started brightly. Why did it take us 20 minutes and concede a goal or two before we got into the game?

So welcome back Micky. Deano, swallow your pride and do what you are great at and get back to the training ground :albion2:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
My first text this morning on hearing the news started with "ridiculous" and I haven't changed my mind. I can see why Dick has done this and the timing (as with the released players) is perfect, but I can't see what Adams has to gain - other than a job and some income I suppose!

There have been plenty of people on here criticising Dean's management (not me, I think he has done more than alright) and the man who spends more time close to the team than most posters on here has decided that he needs a manager to supplement Dean's coaching skills. I would hope that Dean realises he is needed here as coach and that he has an excellent job to do at a club where he is totally respected.

What is evident is how people love a conspiracy theory - evry tiny nuance is analysed for meaning when there is none. Of course the players are suprised and Dean is upset, but things change and they will get over it. How anyone can see this as a super-sneaky plan by DK to get rich by screwing managers is completely beyond me. It's a simple decision to get the best people doing the things they are good at.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
My first text this morning on hearing the news started with "ridiculous" and I haven't changed my mind. I can see why Dick has done this and the timing (as with the released players) is perfect, but I can't see what Adams has to gain - other than a job and some income I suppose!

There have been plenty of people on here criticising Dean's management (not me, I think he has done more than alright) and the man who spends more time close to the team than most posters on here has decided that he needs a manager to supplement Dean's coaching skills. I would hope that Dean realises he is needed here as coach and that he has an excellent job to do at a club where he is totally respected.

What is evident is how people love a conspiracy theory - evry tiny nuance is analysed for meaning when there is none. Of course the players are suprised and Dean is upset, but things change and they will get over it. How anyone can see this as a super-sneaky plan by DK to get rich by screwing managers is completely beyond me. It's a simple decision to get the best people doing the things they are good at.

Interesting points...............but I think Wilkins "sacking" is just the result of another mistake by Knight in appointing him in the first place. Let,s be honest..............Wilkins was the cheap option at the time.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Interesting points...............but I think Wilkins "sacking" is just the result of another mistake by Knight in appointing him in the first place. Let,s be honest..............Wilkins was the cheap option at the time.
I agree there - but I don't think sacking is the right word. I've been through some restructuring of the management of my team and the assistant manager has been released from management tasks because that is not their strength and they have been assigned a checking/training role because they're better at that than the manager I have appointed instead. As a result the whole team will be better (I have a good manager AND a good coach) but the assistant was pretty pissed off today.

Jan 14, 2008
Windsor ontario
Adams is a good motivator..............but clueless as a coach. !!! "His up and at em" mentality is sadly outdated and predictable ......It may have worked in some shit divisons back in the day when we had a certain Zamora to mask his inability .

No one from his last 3 teams will want to play for him because he was a joke, so adding to a fairly decent looking squad is outta the window

Lets just hope he leaves the coaching to Wilkins and then we should have a good combo.

Personally think its a big mistake. I hope Im wrong !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Adams is a good motivator..............but clueless as a coach. !!! "His up and at em" mentality is sadly outdated and predictable ......It may have worked in some shit divisons back in the day when we had a certain Zamora to mask his inability .

No one from his last 3 teams will want to play for him because he was a joke, so adding to a fairly decent looking squad is outta the window

Lets just hope he leaves the coaching to Wilkins and then we should have a good combo.

Personally think its a big mistake. I hope Im wrong !!!!!!!!!!!

What a complete load of rubbish. I have mixed feelings about the appointment but not about Adams. He brought the first real success for a whole generation of Brighton fans (including myself) and we played fantastic football with him as manager.

We were not a one man team in those days although Zamora obviously was the best player. Anyway, Murray and Forster will probably make up for that in terms of goals next season.

At least give Micky a chance before slagging him off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports