Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Merson doing a Souness.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Find this thread incredible. Who cares what Paul Merson said? We are so easily offended.

Who's offended? I thought most were just taking the piss out of Merson, who seems to be a bit shit at his job. As a Sky Sports subscriber, I think it's fair for me to judge the people I'm paying to watch.

He’s a pundit who’s paid to have an opinion, and it turned out to be nonsense, but considering we dropped our 3 best players, although hyperbolic, he wouldnt have been completely alone in feeling we were gambling.

He didn't say we were gambling. If he'd said that, we'd have agreed and this thread wouldn't exist. He concluded that our manager wanted to lose, because our club don't want European football! Forget why are people offended - why are you trying to defend such nonsense?

Lots of our fans were also worried about the implication of all those changes. We all learnt something very pleasing, including RDZ I suspect.
As above, he didn't say he was 'worried'. And yeah, RDZ has learned that he's going to have to go lower than second choice players to make sure we lose on Thursday.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Find this thread incredible. Who cares what Paul Merson said? We are so easily offended.

He’s a pundit who’s paid to have an opinion, and it turned out to be nonsense, but considering we dropped our 3 best players, although hyperbolic, he wouldnt have been completely alone in feeling we were gambling. Who honestly gives a flying fig. Lots of our fans were also worried about the implication of all those changes. We all learnt something very pleasing, including RDZ I suspect.
I only posted because I find it laughable that the goons just jump on a band wagon and spout their tripe (y)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He also rambled on saying our new signing from Watford is hit and miss until another pundit said wait unit RDZ gets hold of him and coaches him in the right way. He does set himself up for a fall not the sharpest tool in the box.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I actually like him, too and feel for him, given what he's been through in his personal life. But it goes back to being SO confident about an opinion that it comes back to bite you. Stelling even said about the fatigue factor (mentioned by RDZ) which is why the team got changed so much. Plus, as @sheebo said, the Gaffer mentions pretty much every press conference that the goal is to get into Europe. Why would he do that if Merson's theory is correct?

I can see the thinking behind what he said, but if he REALLY thought about it, he'd surely see it was nonsense, no?
Is that the one about the cat in the box, or the one about the square on the hypotenuse being equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides?

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Who's offended? I thought most were just taking the piss out of Merson, who seems to be a bit shit at his job. As a Sky Sports subscriber, I think it's fair for me to judge the people I'm paying to watch.

He didn't say we were gambling. If he'd said that, we'd have agreed and this thread wouldn't exist. He concluded that our manager wanted to lose, because our club don't want European football! Forget why are people offended - why are you trying to defend such nonsense?

As above, he didn't say he was 'worried'. And yeah, RDZ has learned that he's going to have to go lower than second choice players to make sure we lose on Thursday.
The gentleman doth protest too much.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Merson is there for the Sky subscriber who has Man City, United and Liverpool in their acca regardless of who they are playing or what their form is. If you want 4D Chess, listen to Mark Langdon or the like - most people need to Google who he is. Merson has been playing draughts for years but let's be honest. It's what the public want and he is good at his craft.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Think some of our fanbase are a bit precious and needy. Who cares that a pundit got it spectacularly wrong? Plenty of us thought we’d struggle when we saw the 11.

Also, am I wrong to think that it was a bit OTT for the admin of a podcast to call him a fuckwit mess? I might be prejudiced here as I find one of the presenters of that pod unbearable to listen to.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Merson is there for the Sky subscriber who has Man City, United and Liverpool in their acca regardless of who they are playing or what their form is. If you want 4D Chess, listen to Mark Langdon or the like - most people need to Google who he is. Merson has been playing draughts for years but let's be honest. It's what the public want and he is good at his craft.
And there was me thinking we had a say in it.
Punditry a craft? He was good at football but doesn’t seem to know much about it.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Nah. You said ‘incredible‘ and ‘offended’. Neither - we’re just taking the piss out of an ill-informed knobhead.
He's not ill informed though is he, he was just being hyberbolic to deliver some impact on a TV punditry show after a very surprising team sheet. It's how these shows work. Talksport do it in every segment. One presenter says something outlandish to drive maximum reaction. Really think it harsh calling Merson a knobhead. Why? because he said something silly on Soccer Saturday?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

He’s a pundit who’s paid to have an opinion, and it turned out to be nonsense, but considering we dropped our 3 best players, although hyperbolic, he wouldnt have been completely alone in feeling we were gambling. Who honestly gives a flying fig. Lots of our fans were also worried about the implication of all those changes. We all learnt something very pleasing, including RDZ I suspect.
I haven't seen anyone else suggest RDZ sent a team out to lose the game, have you?

No offence here, just amazed at the conclusion he came to, given all the evidence pointed to it merely being squad rotation due to fatigue.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
He's not ill informed though is he, he was just being hyberbolic to deliver some impact on a TV punditry show after a very surprising team sheet. It's how these shows work. Talksport do it in every segment. One presenter says something outlandish to drive maximum reaction. Really think it harsh calling Merson a knobhead. Why? because he said something silly on Soccer Saturday?
Depends what your definition of a knobhead is.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Think some of our fanbase are a bit precious and needy. Who cares that a pundit got it spectacularly wrong? Plenty of us thought we’d struggle when we saw the 11.

Also, am I wrong to think that it was a bit OTT for the admin of a podcast to call him a fuckwit mess? I might be prejudiced here as I find one of the presenters of that pod unbearable to listen to.
So you don't think people can talk about things a pundit says. What's the point of a football discussion forum then if you can discuss opinions? As said earlier in the thread the point is not about whether we would do well with the team selection, but rather the idiotic comment that De Zerbi wanted us to lose so we didn't achieve European football.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
"Brighton are playing their third game in a week after an exhausting FA Cup semi-final and players showed a lot of fatigue away to Forest on Wednesday, what are your thoughts on this Paul Merson?"

"the OnLY thing i cAn THiNk of is THaT bRIGHton aRe aCTiVeLy TRYInG tO NoT GeT intO EUROPe"

... Makes sense, Paul.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So you don't think people can talk about things a pundit says. What's the point of a football discussion forum then if you can discuss opinions? As said earlier in the thread the point is not about whether we would do well with the team selection, but rather the idiotic comment that De Zerbi wanted us to lose so we didn't achieve European football.
Calm down, snowflake. No one is telling you you can't talk about it; some people are just pointing out that it makes you look a bit precious and needy.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He also rambled on saying our new signing from Watford is hit and miss until another pundit said wait unit RDZ gets hold of him and coaches him in the right way. He does set himself up for a fall not the sharpest tool in the box.
It's called hyperbole. Do you honestly think he meant that?
It's TV isn't it, it's a long old programme to fill Soccer Saturday, Merson plays a role in all that and rather than be considered, measured etc. he's the guy that takes the fall for the others, the one that takes the booking for the team.

After 2pm on Saturday I didn't meet anyone that didn't start off the conversation "have you seen the team sheet...!!??". Plenty of people I spoke to suggesting RDZ was sending a message to TB about the strength of the squad...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here