Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Merson doing a Souness.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We aren’t this precious are we? If Franks had put out half a bench side and the same comment had been said I doubt any of us would of given it a second thought.
Merson was a top player he destroyed us at Pompey practically single handed. We did get our revenge with Vicente returning the favour many years later 👋

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think it’s the “manager doesn’t think they are ready for Europe” comment that’s got most people annoyed.

For me it's the suggestion that our manager wanted us to lose a PL game. Like, WTF?

If we do qualify for Europe, I can understand if Roberto then thinks we don't have the squad depth to compete both there and in the league, and I'd hope that Bloom & co would address that in the transfer window.

Think the majority of us would agree with him questioning the team selection …. Sadly he worded it like a 8 year old having a massive strop rather than an intelligent, well informed pundit.
Indeed.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That's embarrassing. That's only slightly less informed than four Yorkshire men discussing how hard their lives have been and how the young people of today wouldn't believe them if they told them.
Just read the Watford fans’ replies on that thread 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
So if someone could get the word out to Merson that we’re gonna lose to Man U on Thursday and fail to qualify for Europe then we’ll be a sure fire bet to win on Thursday and make Europe. Just repeat it on air please Paul!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We aren’t this precious are we? If Franks had put out half a bench side and the same comment had been said I doubt any of us would of given it a second thought.
Merson was a top player he destroyed us at Pompey practically single handed. We did get our revenge with Vicente returning the favour many years later 👋
Probably because we don't support Brentford :lolol:

It's not being precious, it's highlighting the fact that someone who is employed to do a job does not - at times - do it very well at all!

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Find this thread incredible. Who cares what Paul Merson said? We are so easily offended.

He’s a pundit who’s paid to have an opinion, and it turned out to be nonsense, but considering we dropped our 3 best players, although hyperbolic, he wouldnt have been completely alone in feeling we were gambling. Who honestly gives a flying fig. Lots of our fans were also worried about the implication of all those changes. We all learnt something very pleasing, including RDZ I suspect.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
I'm not arguing that Merson's hunch that BHA didn't want Europe was laughable, but it was difficult not to be sympathetic to that mindset after reading the team sheet.
Sympathetic to the view that he was saying de Zerbi was setting up Brighton to lose?

theboybilly

Not sure we can comment too much on celebrating second place with a trophy.
I've never considered that a celebration for coming 2nd, not for one minute. (Had we won the Championship my view would still have been the same) That was a celebration to acknowledge all those years of ifs, buts and maybes as to whether this club would exist in 2017 let alone reach the highest level. And a huge opportunity for a City-wide (I dare say County-wide) open thank you to all that did so much in all that time. The fact that it was such a gorgeous day by the sea was an added bonus.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I've never considered that a celebration for coming 2nd, not for one minute. (Had we won the Championship my view would still have been the same) That was a celebration to acknowledge all those years of ifs, buts and maybes as to whether this club would exist in 2017 let alone reach the highest level. And a huge opportunity for a City-wide (I dare say County-wide) open thank you to all that did so much in all that time. The fact that it was such a gorgeous day by the sea was an added bonus.
The celebration was for everything that promotion etc meant. What it signified after all those years of battling for Falmer and then finally reaching the PL after all those years of coming so close.

The celebrations would have been exactly the same without the trophy.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I don’t need gushing praise from pundits. It’s not the basis by which I rate them.
Me neither, but I’m not going to jump on the bandwagon just because one of them says something I don’t like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here