Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Membership scheme announced...

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Especially during the Adams MKII era.

Indeed, although it was a godsend to those of us you love a comedy noir. :wink:

ps I'm with those who think this all-new priority scheme is a bloody joke tbh. If it ain't broke: don't fix it; and if it is broke: don't look to fleece us supporters for the 'privilage' of getting a ticket for a match. Enough already.

Last edited:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
As far as I can tell, people want to be alienated and angry......

Let's wait and see and what the details are before going into meltdown.

Quite the opposite, I want to support the club as my previous financial commitment (and my attendance at 50 odd games last season) attest. However my dealings with Barber over the Food in the 1901, complete lack of customer service, promised meetings that never happened. a fiasco over the Palace away leg plus his charmless manner of dealing with everything, down to his patronising programme notes are putting me off, as is my right now I'm a customer. I won't fly Ryanair.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
What exactly about the old system wasn't working?

So despite the fact i've spent £100s on the most expensive seats in the league over the past 2 seasons, it is now looking like i'll have to pay for the privilege for the club to take my money?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
That's true, but a) we're not in the Prem so we don't need it yet, b) the club really didn't need another PR own goal, and c) everybody (including you and the club) should realise that in the absence of firm facts everyone will speculate.

Virtually the one fact that we all agree on is that the current loyalty scheme works well when it comes to ticket prioritisation. Unfortunately for the club is doesn't make them any extra money. The club needs to make more money, so you can see why people have joined the dots and come to the conclusion that the new and unnecessary membership layer is only being introduced as another revenue stream. And also being hard-pressed financially you can also see why people are saying that they would resent it. Maybe we are being too cynical, but I bet you that when the full details are known it will involve some kind of additional payment.

I agree the current system works well, and on the face of it no new scheme is necessary. However this scheme is not for now, it is for the future. It is a part of making the club premiership ready. For the Albion to progress the infrastructure across the board needs to be set up in advance to maximise the prospects for success when we get there. This will involve the physical infrastructure of the club (i.e. training ground), the efficiency of day-to-day operations, future-proofing commercial deals and the opening of additional revenue streams to help fund it all.

I'll reserve judgement on the scheme until the details are actually out there to be discussed. Already 12 pages of ranting about something we know nothing about except the crappy names they have offered up for it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Quite the opposite, I want to support the club as my previous financial commitment (and my attendance at 50 odd games last season) attest. However my dealings with Barber over the Food in the 1901, complete lack of customer service, promised meetings that never happened. a fiasco over the Palace away leg plus his charmless manner of dealing with everything, down to his patronising programme notes are putting me off, as is my right now I'm a customer. I won't fly Ryanair.

In fairness you have been on the wrong end of the stick there, and I find the mis-handling of the 1901 members utterly mystifying and you are quite right to call Barber out on it. The Palace away leg email was particularly ridiculous. My exasperation is with the knee-jerk response to anything the club does regardless of what it is.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I know as a club we need to be profitable and think in the long term, but I am not sure I like the way we are heading.

We seem to be heading in a directiong of not having an 'identikit' stadium, but we are becoming an 'identikit' club.

Do I have the answers though, no.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In fairness you have been on the wrong end of the stick there, and I find the mis-handling of the 1901 members utterly mystifying and you are quite right to call Barber out on it. The Palace away leg email was particularly ridiculous. My exasperation is with the knee-jerk response to anything the club does regardless of what it is.

As I pointed out earlier, this isn't a knee jerk reaction but very similar to reactions previously with other membership schemes. The only one that seemed to get universal approval from the fans was the loyalty point scheme introduced two years ago.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
It is all a cunning plan by TB & PB to start a Binfest on NSC and therefor taking peoples minds off the current staffing situation. They have probably had a friendly little wager between themselves as to how many pages it would generate. :whistle:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is all a cunning plan by TB & PB to start a Binfest on NSC and therefor taking peoples minds off the current staffing situation. They have probably had a friendly little wager between themselves as to how many pages it would generate. :whistle:

At last, the truth is out.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree the current system works well, and on the face of it no new scheme is necessary. However this scheme is not for now, it is for the future. It is a part of making the club premiership ready. For the Albion to progress the infrastructure across the board needs to be set up in advance to maximise the prospects for success when we get there. This will involve the physical infrastructure of the club (i.e. training ground), the efficiency of day-to-day operations, future-proofing commercial deals and the opening of additional revenue streams to help fund it all.

I'll reserve judgement on the scheme until the details are actually out there to be discussed. Already 12 pages of ranting about something we know nothing about except the crappy names they have offered up for it.
I disagree. I agree with you on the training ground, infrastructure and the need to maximise revenue wherever possible*, but I don't think a membership scheme will be an immediate requirement for premiership football. We may not reach it for four or five years - if at all. (In either case its introduction next season is a tad premature) And also if we struggle in the Prem, which is a distinct possibility, then getting tickets for the games home and away will NOT be a problem. We're not Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool etc.

* Note that 'maximising revenue wherever possible' is not the same as 'fleecing the fans at every opportunity'

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
So as a season ticket holder I would be expected to pay an additional sum to get tickets? I thought that was the point of having a season ticket... exemption from any extra charges...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My exasperation is with the knee-jerk response to anything the club does regardless of what it is.

I think this particular situation is of the club's (Barber's) making though. As has been pointed out, the drip-feed nature of this announcement will create speculation. The merits of the new membership is one discussion, the atrocious way it has been handled is another.

I have generally supported Barber, but my support is waning...not that he will be bothered.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I have said it before and I will say it again, Paul Barber is a businessman, pure and simple. Customers/fans wellbeing will rarely enter his head. He just sees pound signs and he wants as much cash in the tills at any cost. Until people start to vote with their feet, he will continue to ramp every cost up. He is truly ruthless. Good at his job in one respect but is pushing away decent fans in another.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
I don't think there would be a charge for existing ST holders so it would be a FREEBIE membership scheme (and the Club can be seen as the good guy).

However, here is where it could end up if Barber has a copy of the Stoke model - where they have a MEMBERSHIPS COMPARISON TABLE (copied from the Stoke City site). Non ST holders can pay for a SILVER scheme which gives them the ability to accrue points and ticket priority over 'Joe Public' and some offers like discounts to lure them in which might be what is being drip fed to us now. At Stoke the GOLD membership (FREE) comes in 1st for ST holders but is then followed by the 'why not upgrade' option PLATINUM scheme that trumps it for offers and ticket priority. Once these become established in came the PLATINUM PLUS to override everything else. Stoke also have a FOUNDATION membership which directly targets funds to it's Acadamy. Maybe I'm being overly cynical before we hear any details but it exists elsewhere and not at just the 'Big' clubs. Apologies if the spacing in the table below gets screwed. Here' s the link http://www.stokecityfc.com/fans/memberships/details.aspx

BENEFITS PLATINUM PLUS PLATINUM GOLD
Away Games Ticketing Priority Guaranteed ticket 2nd Priority 3rd Priority
Membership Card Yes Yes Yes
Two Guest Tickets (fixture TBC) £5 each £5 each £10 each
Exclusive Gift Pack Yes Yes No
Loyalty Points Programme Yes Yes Yes
Exclusive Offers From Club & Partners Platinum+ Offers Platinum Offers Gold Offers
Fixture Card with Member Benefits Yes Yes Yes
Exclusive Member Prize Draws Yes Yes No
Cost £50.00 £30.00 Free

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Can't see that, could have a time where non STs have more points than ST holders (1,000 for buying into scheme and then points for each home game attended whereas ST holders just get 1,000 for the season)

Agree but make it 400 then? Just means those non-ST fans who come to 20 games a year, have less points than someone who comes to 1 (but also pays £20-30 a season)......... not very fair

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
I don't think there would be a charge for existing ST holders so it would be a FREEBIE membership scheme (and the Club can be seen as the good guy).

However, here is where it could end up if Barber has a copy of the Stoke model - where they have a MEMBERSHIPS COMPARISON TABLE (copied from the Stoke City site). Non ST holders can pay for a SILVER scheme which gives them the ability to accrue points and ticket priority over 'Joe Public' and some offers like discounts to lure them in which might be what is being drip fed to us now. At Stoke the GOLD membership (FREE) comes in 1st for ST holders but is then followed by the 'why not upgrade' option PLATINUM scheme that trumps it for offers and ticket priority. Once these become established in came the PLATINUM PLUS to override everything else. Stoke also have a FOUNDATION membership which directly targets funds to it's Acadamy. Maybe I'm being overly cynical before we hear any details but it exists elsewhere and not at just the 'Big' clubs. Apologies if the spacing in the table below gets screwed. Here' s the link http://www.stokecityfc.com/fans/memberships/details.aspx

Exclusive Offers From Club & Partners Platinum+ Offers Platinum Offers Gold Offers
Cost £50.00 £30.00 Free

If we get this model then I'll just have to buy the two guest tickets for £5 and sell them on NSC for £30 to claw my money back. Simple...

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Cost £50.00 £30.00 Free

If we bring in something like this and get Bmuff away first game the binfest on here will be a sight to behold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here