Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Medical advice please

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
:thumbsup:
Thankfully i have a fairly hardened intestinal tract....although about 15 years ago i had some sausages,cooked them well,they tasted ok too.....that night i passed warm putrid water out of both ends and collapsed in a heap,sugar water saved me......the sausages were 8 days out of date.

closest i've been to it i suppose..

Without getting too graphic, Ive had that twice. Once, in Madrid, from, presumably, crab soup even though I was the only person out of 32 who became ill. During the night i was exploding out of both ends simultaneously and flooding the bathroom floor (you sit on the toilet and vomit, then you lean over the sink and pass diarrhoea). I needed an injection from a doctor the next day to enable me to board the plane. Even then, he was reluctant to let me fly. I can probably say that night was the worst I have ever felt in my life. There comes a point when you almost wish for death (but only almost).

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Without getting too graphic During the night i was exploding out of both ends simultaneously and flooding the bathroom floor (you sit on the toilet and vomit, then you lean over the sink and pass diarrhoea).

:lolol: what you like when you do get graphic

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Yeah, Spain, or menorca to be precise.

Was due back to work today but overnight it got steadily worse and now have a fever.

Worse than anything else, I have run out of toilet paper.

Which restaurant/ whereabouts in Menorca.. My dad has a place over there, may be worth advising him to give the place a wide berth.... If you dont want to publically name and shame, you could pm me..

Which restaurant/ whereabouts in Menorca.. My dad has a place over there, may be worth advising him to give the place a wide berth.... If you dont want to publically name and shame, you could pm me..

A resort called Salgar not far from Mahon. The restaurant was part of a chain of hotels.
But as has been pointed out it can't be 100% certain that I got it from that restaurant.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Without getting too graphic, Ive had that twice. Once, in Madrid, from, presumably, crab soup even though I was the only person out of 32 who became ill. During the night i was exploding out of both ends simultaneously and flooding the bathroom floor (you sit on the toilet and vomit, then you lean over the sink and pass diarrhoea). I needed an injection from a doctor the next day to enable me to board the plane. Even then, he was reluctant to let me fly. I can probably say that night was the worst I have ever felt in my life. There comes a point when you almost wish for death (but only almost).

I got food-poisoning much nearer home over twenty years ago, from a buffet in a pub (ID not to be revealed, Baa) in Eastbourne. After I had collapsed the following day and my temp went up to 102 and I was on liquids for 3 days, I called in the EHO. He told me that it was probably a raw-egg salad or something, the pub denied responsibility as it was a private function. Apparently a number of people at the event were ill afterwards.

The worst case I ever saw was when a group of us were travelling in Turkey and arrived rather late at a restaurant where all that was left on display was the renowned sheeps-entrails soup. Most of us had one mouthful and said "enough!" but one gutsache ate not only his share but ours as well. How he suffered, and travelling on trains too..

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
:lolol: what you like when you do get graphic

I could describe the other occasion I have suffered, when I passed out in the pharmacy taking my prescription to the checkout and came to lying in the aisle in a pool of diarrhoea with 2 cuts on my face that needed stitches and a crowd of people gathered round. An incredibly kind man ran to the sports shop next door and bought me shirt and shorts to change into once I was cleaned up. He absolutely refused payment.

An update if anyone is interested.

Day 7 and the shits continue unabated,
blood returned for a while yesterday but seems to have gone again.
Metronidazole doesn't seem to want to work for me.
My ring piece practically screaming
Cramps are back
I feel like I've been run over by a truck.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Cramps are back

Why aren't you in hospital on a drip? How bad does it need to GET? Sake!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Spoke to my doctor earlier and reckons I'm not dehydrated, no vomiting you see.
Could last 14 days.

You can easily get dehydrated through the shits alone, as well as losing vital minerals etc. Why put all of your trust with your life in one single doctor? What if he's rubbish? At least give NHS 111 service a call for a second opinion. NSC may very well be a source for good as well as evil, but even NSC can only help you up to a point...

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

Cramps are back

How much weight have you done ?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
The worst case I ever saw was when a group of us were travelling in Turkey and arrived rather late at a restaurant where all that was left on display was the renowned sheeps-entrails soup. Most of us had one mouthful and said "enough!" but one gutsache ate not only his share but ours as well. How he suffered, and travelling on trains too..

Just remembered this incident was preserved in print in a booklet called "A Gricer in Turkey" by former Brighton resident Keith Taylorson published in 1976 or thereabouts. Keith moved back up North to Yorkshire after retirement about 5 years ago.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
How are you?

Is it possible the blood could be an unrelated haemorrhoid situation that's been aggravated by the constant activity?

I have problems on and off. Still in and out of tests. Now avoid a lot of bread based food and go easy on the dairy in the mean time. Let me know what happens and look after yourself and stay off the red meat for a bit as well!

I'm no doctor but it'll help the digestion. Im guessing you're not exactly feasting on a daily basis at the moment anyway.

How are you?

Is it possible the blood could be an unrelated haemorrhoid situation that's been aggravated by the constant activity?

I have problems on and off. Still in and out of tests. Now avoid a lot of bread based food and go easy on the dairy in the mean time. Let me know what happens and look after yourself and stay off the red meat for a bit as well!

I'm no doctor but it'll help the digestion. Im guessing you're not exactly feasting on a daily basis at the moment anyway.

Slight improvement thanks. After 11 days I am down to going once every 4 hours rather than once every hour, sometimes even half hourly.

Should get the test results back from the lab Monday.

One worrying development though is my eyesight has markedly deteriorated in this time, I only ever needed glasses to read, now I can't even see the TV.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Slight improvement thanks. After 11 days I am down to going once every 4 hours rather than once every hour, sometimes even half hourly.

Should get the test results back from the lab Monday.

One worrying development though is my eyesight has markedly deteriorated in this time, I only ever needed glasses to read, now I can't even see the TV.

Hmm, glad to hear about the upturn but the eyesight situ is beyond my experience of gastro symptoms. Good luck with the results. As I say, just play it safe with what you're putting in and see what happens (no joke intended).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

How on earth do you manage to sleep? In general non-graphic terms, that is.

Probably a bit late for this advice now, but when i was in India, the locals swore by live yoghurt. Certainly for the Goan equivalent of Delhi Belly, and for most other ailments also. In fact one night my leg dropped clean off at the hip. Had a tub of live yoghurt and aforesaid leg was fully back in place by the morning, good as new!. OK, the bit about the leg is not strictly true, but the bit about live yoghurt certainly is. Can't do any harm to give it a go aye?

How on earth do you manage to sleep? In general non-graphic terms, that is.

Probably a bit late for this advice now, but when i was in India, the locals swore by live yoghurt. Certainly for the Goan equivalent of Delhi Belly, and for most other ailments also. In fact one night my leg dropped clean off at the hip. Had a tub of live yoghurt and aforesaid leg was fully back in place by the morning, good as new!. OK, the bit about the leg is not strictly true, but the bit about live yoghurt certainly is. Can't do any harm to give it a go aye?

Live yogurt is on the cards for when the antibiotics finish, no point in having it otherwise as the drugs kill the friendly bacteria along with the unfriendly.

As for sleeping, I haven't had a night's sleep in 11 nights now. The cramps wake you, you run to bog, back in bed and sleep until the next one. Unfortunately this means the wife wakes too,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here