Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Meanwhile The Notes In The Program Today From Paul Barber Say................

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
When was the last time anyone took his programme notes seriously anyway. What can he write?

"Hi everyone, sorry we're doing so shit at the moment, I think Sami is responsible personally. But Tony has said we've got to give him until Christmas. A new mega fit receptionist started this week though. So that's one thing we can be cheery about."

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
When was the last time anyone took his programme notes seriously anyway. What can he write?

"Hi everyone, sorry we're doing so shit at the moment, I think Sami is responsible personally. But Tony has said we've got to give him until Christmas. A new mega fit receptionist started this week though. So that's one thing we can be cheery about."

He stated all about FFP in the BLACKBURN notes and i qoute.....

from the last bits....

"Our ambition remains to compete at the highest level and,with our key infastructure now in place,this week's changes to FFP regulations means we will also now have greater budget flexibility in the seasons ahead regardless of which top two divisions we play our football in."

Sounds like we are not planning for League 1 football to me...but you don't always get what you plan for,i suppose..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He stated all about FFP in the BLACKBURN notes and i qoute.....

from the last bits....

"Our ambition remains to compete at the highest level and,with our key infastructure now in place,this week's changes to FFP regulations means we will also now have greater budget flexibility in the seasons ahead regardless of which top two divisions we play our football in."

Sounds like we are not planning for League 1 football to me...but you don't always get what you plan for,i suppose..

There's a simple way to plan to improve our position. BIN the FIN.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
There's a simple way to plan to improve our position. BIN the FIN.

Been of the fence for a long time but i cannot really see a vast improvement comming and will probably be, within the next 5 matches, in agreement.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have meet a few ceo's and they're all the same, last one came to "adress employees concerns", I am faitly vocal and he already knew me though the 1st time we had meet, he put his hand on my shoulder, asked how the kids were etc a proper classy fella, he left saying "no ones to worry this company is moving forward and the only way we cqn achieve that is together and with the help of our loyal staff" such a nice and trusting bloke who listened to and adressed all our concerns...............a month later two weeks before Chrismas he made us all redundant and replaced us with a call centre that he promised wouldnt take over

Reminiscent of when I worked at BT , being told there were no plans to close the call centre in Brighton and finding out a month later we had a notice of closure. The union told us the decision was embargoed at the time of the head honcho's visit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I think the club are very much planning for League One football - they'd be stupid not to.

They'd hope to not have to invoke those plans however.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think the club are very much planning for League One football - they'd be stupid not to.

They'd hope to not have to invoke those plans however.

Why did they vote the way they did that's the bit i can't follow..having seeminly done everything they could to comply....

Oct 11, 2005
London
Don't you think that The Albion could have been different? Could we have kept our soul and still been successful both on the pitch and financially? There are plenty of sustainable clubs in Germany that we could have aspired to be like.

But instead the Amex has become a (quote Fulham fans) soulless bowl due to Barbers vision of turning it into a watered down family day out. Attendances will continue to drop regardless of success because of this, but we are now at serious risk of relegation which would be disastrous for the club both financially and for our long-term future - of course Hyypia and Burke are partly to blame for this, but Barber is CEO and so the buck stops with him.

This has been the greatest opportunity in the history of the club to make a real mark on English football, but it's completely been thrown out the window, despite the amazing facilities and resources Barber has at his disposal. There are so many clubs who aren't as fortunate as us, yet are doing so much better - what are they doing right that we are not?

I predict, that one day, we will look back at the club during Barber's reign and consider this to be an era of wasted potential. It will take a long time to undo the damage that he is doing, the man has made zero effort in preserving all that was great and unique about the club, because that simply isn't on his agenda - he is only interested in marketing, sales, considering The Albion as a product and our fans as customers.

Barber, Burke and Hyppia need to go. We need to become a fan-centric club again, we need to focus on making the Amex a fortress with an electric, even intimidating, atmosphere - perhaps start by making the North Stand safe standing and moving the away fans next to them. Scrap this "head of football operations" nonsense and bring in a manager in its traditional position who will bring in his own players. Tear down the ridiculous "One club one ambition" shite and replace it with "SUSSEX BY THE SEA" - by encouraging passion rather than insulting marketing strategies and corporate slogans, I am confident that our fans will spend just as much, if not more, on our football club - and get better results to boot.

Absolutely nailed it! totally and utterly agree.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Don't you think that The Albion could have been different? Could we have kept our soul and still been successful both on the pitch and financially? There are plenty of sustainable clubs in Germany that we could have aspired to be like.

But instead the Amex has become a (quote Fulham fans) soulless bowl due to Barbers vision of turning it into a watered down family day out. Attendances will continue to drop regardless of success because of this, but we are now at serious risk of relegation which would be disastrous for the club both financially and for our long-term future - of course Hyypia and Burke are partly to blame for this, but Barber is CEO and so the buck stops with him.

This has been the greatest opportunity in the history of the club to make a real mark on English football, but it's completely been thrown out the window, despite the amazing facilities and resources Barber has at his disposal. There are so many clubs who aren't as fortunate as us, yet are doing so much better - what are they doing right that we are not?

I predict, that one day, we will look back at the club during Barber's reign and consider this to be an era of wasted potential. It will take a long time to undo the damage that he is doing, the man has made zero effort in preserving all that was great and unique about the club, because that simply isn't on his agenda - he is only interested in marketing, sales, considering The Albion as a product and our fans as customers.

Barber, Burke and Hyppia need to go. We need to become a fan-centric club again, we need to focus on making the Amex a fortress with an electric, even intimidating, atmosphere - perhaps start by making the North Stand safe standing and moving the away fans next to them. Scrap this "head of football operations" nonsense and bring in a manager in its traditional position who will bring in his own players. Tear down the ridiculous "One club one ambition" shite and replace it with "SUSSEX BY THE SEA" - by encouraging passion rather than insulting marketing strategies and corporate slogans, I am confident that our fans will spend just as much, if not more, on our football club - and get better results to boot.

Superb post.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Great post, totally agree with that.

The troubles of the clubs past should have been used to bring together a passionate fan base, almost the anti of modern day football. We could have distinguished ourselves and still embraced a large support.

Instead we have just joined the bandwagon of modern day football. You don't have to be corporate to do well in football. Look at Palace, a screaming mess of a football club, yet on the pitch where it matters and in stands they are pissing all over us.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

The troubles of the clubs past should have been used to bring together a passionate fan base, almost the anti of modern day football. We could have distinguished ourselves and still embraced a large support.

Instead we have just joined the bandwagon of modern day football. You don't have to be corporate to do well in football. Look at Palace, a screaming mess of a football club, yet on the pitch where it matters and in stands they are pissing all over us.

The troubles DID bring together a passionate fan base. The problem is that too many people at the Amex don't begin to understand that passion. Corporate slickers like Paul Barber have shown far too little interest in nurturing the existing supporters: they're much more turned on by screwing every last dime out of them and getting high-spending newbies through the door. They think it's old-fashioned - probably even anti-American - to appreciate and build on the past. In the Albion's case at least it's a case study in supreme ignorance not to do so. The present regime are on the brink of destroying the rich legacy they inherited, a legacy born of the fight to save the club. It is not too late to change direction but good men need to step forward soon.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
These last few posts have exactly captured how I feel now. We had a chance to be 'different' from run of the mill club. And be successful.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Nothing wrong with marketing if you get it right. I just think the club has got it wrong for me.

Sorry.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Reminiscent of when I worked at BT , being told there were no plans to close the call centre in Brighton and finding out a month later we had a notice of closure. The union told us the decision was embargoed at the time of the head honcho's visit.

Exactly, ceo's are paid to be tentative, approachable people who will be your friend. ............but still have the lack of heart to stab you in the back

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Words are cheap.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here