Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Meanwhile The Notes In The Program Today From Paul Barber Say................

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Had we won they may have seen to be wise words. We lost. The bloke has to write something.

but does he though. how many other clubs are subjected to huge essays of corporate bullshit every week. the last ceo i can remember weiting each week in a match programme was our friend David.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
S
I know I'll get slated on here for saying it but since Barber has been here we've gone backwards (alarmingly) on the pitch,but steadied the ship financially, as a supporter who turns up to see an end product on the pitch and paying top dollar in the championship im feeling short changed,
I don't wanna hear any boo hoos or if You don't like it go and watch Chelsea,arsenal etc
As we're now customers (not fans apparently) as a customer I'm not satisfied with the product im paying for
... What's that you're thinking , don't go then
But I want to go because I support the Albion, or am I supporting Retro ALBION Vintage albion old school ALBION Withdean Albion goldstone ALBION ...... Maybe I'm no longer buying into the 2014 corporate FFP modern football foreign manager all seater stadium etc Albion

I'd agree all that except the 'steadied the ship financially' bit. I'm not sure where that comes from although undoubtedly our next accounts will show a reduction in loss due to the one off gains from the 3 big sales. PB has nothing to do with that and nor would I give him much credit for getting Amex as main sponsor or Nike as kit supplier, both pretty obvious and apart from commercial negotiations a fairly open door.

On top of that a whole army (regiment perhaps) of suits have been recruited that trot out a load of bollox about what we are going to do and be at some point in the future. They've no choice when trying to sell the product to Corporates but in continually spouting it to fans/supporters (it's the Corporates that are customers) then they risk marginalising large numbers

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dear Paul. Thanks for the history lesson, the empty platitude and telling me what to think again. That's ten minutes of my life I'll never get back.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
The acid test is whether any of the 23 clubs in the division would say anything different. If not, it is vacuous crap...

It is vacuous crap.

Three things matter, Mr B:

RESULTS
RESULTS
RESULTS

I know I'll get slated on here for saying it but since Barber has been here we've gone backwards (alarmingly) on the pitch,but steadied the ship financially, as a supporter who turns up to see an end product on the pitch and paying top dollar in the championship im feeling short changed,
I don't wanna hear any boo hoos or if You don't like it go and watch Chelsea,arsenal etc
As we're now customers (not fans apparently) as a customer I'm not satisfied with the product im paying for
... What's that you're thinking , don't go then
But I want to go because I support the Albion, or am I supporting Retro ALBION Vintage albion old school ALBION Withdean Albion goldstone ALBION ...... Maybe I'm no longer buying into the 2014 corporate FFP modern football foreign manager all seater stadium etc Albion

I am also prepared to stick my neck out and agree with you

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
smoke and mirrors
at its best
never liked him
and seems like I'm a good judge of character

Are you a good judge of character? have you actually met Paul Barber and had a chat with him to form your judgement? If the answer is no, then I suggest you contact him and ask if its possible to meet up for a chat, then form an opinion / judgement, If you have met him, then fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion and your personal judgement is fine.

I have met him, he is actually a very decent guy, who answers literally every question put to him, and in my opinion when he is talking, on a one to one basis (or a small group) his conversation does most definitely not resemble that of a politician or the like. My opinion, obviously.

Feb 14, 2010
Are you a good judge of character? have you actually met Paul Barber and had a chat with him to form your judgement? If the answer is no, then I suggest you contact him and ask if its possible to meet up for a chat, then form an opinion / judgement, If you have met him, then fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion and your personal judgement is fine.

I have met him, he is actually a very decent guy, who answers literally every question put to him, and in my opinion when he is talking, on a one to one basis (or a small group) his conversation does most definitely not resemble that of a politician or the like. My opinion, obviously.

That is all far too logical for many on nsc. The rules are in nsc, you must whine, complain, call the clubs fans fickle even if 29000 turn up for a championship relegation scrap, and carp at a chairman who has put us back on our feet.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

you might be right
but I will never like someone who thought "clackers" were a good idea
he is also to corperate for my liking
there are many questions I would love to ask him but I think he won't like them especially about the Poyet sacking his relationship with him at Spurs
ect ect

after reading the rest of the thread it does seem like I am not the only one who dislikes him and I doubt they have all met him?

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
you might be right
but I will never like someone who thought "clackers" were a good idea
he is also to corperate for my liking
there are many questions I would love to ask him but I think he won't like them especially about the Poyet sacking his relationship with him at Spurs
ect ect

Surely the whole of football is to corporate nowadays? I hate the corporate image in football, money is / has ruined the sport, but you cant blame PB for that, if we don't keep up with every other club regards the corporate image, we just as well move back to The Withdean.

Regarding your questions, if you ever get the chance, ask him, I think, like me, you will see a different side to him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

So have I. And I engaged in conversation when he made a factually incorrect statement when justifying one of his price hike. I pointed out his statement was not true and the correct facts were readily available on the Internet. He just talked over my point and then blathered on about something else. I share Glasfryn's view.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Regarding your questions, if you ever get the chance, ask him, I think, like me, you will see a different side to him.

I have too and have the opposite view to you but such was the nature of our respective conversations I guess.

Not sure one needs to meet someone face to face to make an informed judgement. Plenty of people many of us have never met yet should be able to paint a reasonably decent picture based on information available to them

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I've written Barber's next programme notes for him:

rearrange-deckchairs-and-ignore-sinking-1.png

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I have meet a few ceo's and they're all the same, last one came to "adress employees concerns", I am faitly vocal and he already knew me though the 1st time we had meet, he put his hand on my shoulder, asked how the kids were etc a proper classy fella, he left saying "no ones to worry this company is moving forward and the only way we cqn achieve that is together and with the help of our loyal staff" such a nice and trusting bloke who listened to and adressed all our concerns...............a month later two weeks before Chrismas he made us all redundant and replaced us with a call centre that he promised wouldnt take over

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here