Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Meanwhile The Notes In The Program Today From Paul Barber Say................

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I have too and have the opposite view to you but such was the nature of our respective conversations I guess.

Not sure one needs to meet someone face to face to make an informed judgement. Plenty of people many of us have never met yet should be able to paint a reasonably decent picture based on information available to them

Fair enough :thumbsup:

I do wonder, if we were 3rd from top and not 3rd from bottom, if the feelings of some would be the same though, that said, I was at the game yesterday and in my opinion, we were woeful, clueless and personally I could not get one positive from yesterdays game!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Fair enough :thumbsup:

I do wonder, if we were 3rd from top and not 3rd from bottom, if the feelings of some would be the same though, that said, I was at the game yesterday and in my opinion, we were woeful, clueless and personally I could not get one positive from yesterdays game!

I agree, feelings likely would be different ... I suspect PB would become an irrelevance to most of us. Trouble is we're in the cack a bit now and many of us are looking to the club for some sort of reassurance that they are going to respond (obv on the playing front). All we get is the same old bollox trotted out.

As the saying goes "when the going gets tough .........." all I can say is I've got no sense whatsoever that he and his cronies have even figured out things are getting a bit tricky, let alone tough.

He says "we have no divine right to win" (no shit Sherlock) I'd respond by saying "we've no divine right to believe we can't get our arses kicked"

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think what Mr Barber's trying to say is this: We're on a learning curve and we're taking the positives moving forward. Our core mission statement is very much still in phase and all contributory stakeholders are fully tasked and are working hard on the deliverables. Within tightly-defined parameters some target variance is only to be expected, and non-contributory stakeholders* should be fully cognisant of the organisation's current achievements.

*The new name for 'fans'.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That is all far too logical for many on nsc. The rules are in nsc, you must whine, complain, call the clubs fans fickle even if 29000 turn up for a championship relegation scrap, and carp at a chairman who has put us back on our feet.
I think you will find the whining, complaining and carping are actually about the fact that our beloved football club is currently rather sh1te at playing football.

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
Terribly cynical, I now, but I firmly believe that Paul Barber will be off as soon as the club's accounts are published.

Thanks to the massive exodus of quality players, I anticipate that we will have significantly reduced our losses and very probably be FFP compliant. He will be able to claim that as a miracle turnaround at the club which, along with his "CEO of the Year" award, will no doubt look very impressive on his CV. He can then wave goodbye before the real horror of what has happened sinks in, and people start asking where 10000 season ticket holders went and why match day revenue has plummeted and how we ended up playing in League 1.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Don't you think that The Albion could have been different? Could we have kept our soul and still been successful both on the pitch and financially? There are plenty of sustainable clubs in Germany that we could have aspired to be like.

But instead the Amex has become a (quote Fulham fans) soulless bowl due to Barbers vision of turning it into a watered down family day out. Attendances will continue to drop regardless of success because of this, but we are now at serious risk of relegation which would be disastrous for the club both financially and for our long-term future - of course Hyypia and Burke are partly to blame for this, but Barber is CEO and so the buck stops with him.

This has been the greatest opportunity in the history of the club to make a real mark on English football, but it's completely been thrown out the window, despite the amazing facilities and resources Barber has at his disposal. There are so many clubs who aren't as fortunate as us, yet are doing so much better - what are they doing right that we are not?

I predict, that one day, we will look back at the club during Barber's reign and consider this to be an era of wasted potential. It will take a long time to undo the damage that he is doing, the man has made zero effort in preserving all that was great and unique about the club, because that simply isn't on his agenda - he is only interested in marketing, sales, considering The Albion as a product and our fans as customers.

Barber, Burke and Hyppia need to go. We need to become a fan-centric club again, we need to focus on making the Amex a fortress with an electric, even intimidating, atmosphere - perhaps start by making the North Stand safe standing and moving the away fans next to them. Scrap this "head of football operations" nonsense and bring in a manager in its traditional position who will bring in his own players. Tear down the ridiculous "One club one ambition" shite and replace it with "SUSSEX BY THE SEA" - by encouraging passion rather than insulting marketing strategies and corporate slogans, I am confident that our fans will spend just as much, if not more, on our football club - and get better results to boot.

good post
I have just done something I would never have done ever,on predict the score I have said it will be a 3-0 defeat ..............this really is not me I have in football terms and in life been a half full bloke, but I have really lost confidence in the Albion ever winning.
the blame lies with all of the management upper and lower. Sammi is a to nicer bloke as compared with someone like Pulis and much as I would love Pulis to come down here I honestly do not think he would stay long.
it is as you say time for them all to go Tony excepted (we do need someone to head up things even if he has employed the wrong people )tony has a vision and those below him are ruining it for him and the fans.
I just wish Sammi would lose his temper.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Don't you think that The Albion could have been different? Could we have kept our soul and still been successful both on the pitch and financially? There are plenty of sustainable clubs in Germany that we could have aspired to be like.

But instead the Amex has become a (quote Fulham fans) soulless bowl due to Barbers vision of turning it into a watered down family day out. Attendances will continue to drop regardless of success because of this, but we are now at serious risk of relegation which would be disastrous for the club both financially and for our long-term future - of course Hyypia and Burke are partly to blame for this, but Barber is CEO and so the buck stops with him.

This has been the greatest opportunity in the history of the club to make a real mark on English football, but it's completely been thrown out the window, despite the amazing facilities and resources Barber has at his disposal. There are so many clubs who aren't as fortunate as us, yet are doing so much better - what are they doing right that we are not?

I predict, that one day, we will look back at the club during Barber's reign and consider this to be an era of wasted potential. It will take a long time to undo the damage that he is doing, the man has made zero effort in preserving all that was great and unique about the club, because that simply isn't on his agenda - he is only interested in marketing, sales, considering The Albion as a product and our fans as customers.

Barber, Burke and Hyppia need to go. We need to become a fan-centric club again, we need to focus on making the Amex a fortress with an electric, even intimidating, atmosphere - perhaps start by making the North Stand safe standing and moving the away fans next to them. Scrap this "head of football operations" nonsense and bring in a manager in its traditional position who will bring in his own players. Tear down the ridiculous "One club one ambition" shite and replace it with "SUSSEX BY THE SEA" - by encouraging passion rather than insulting marketing strategies and corporate slogans, I am confident that our fans will spend just as much, if not more, on our football club - and get better results to boot.

Well put, and pretty much my thoughts as well.

Feb 14, 2010
I think you will find the whining, complaining and carping are actually about the fact that our beloved football club is currently rather sh1te at playing football.

If so then you must have been moaning, carping and complaining all your life because the team has pretty much always been sh1te since 1910. The Albion is not bout the jokers on the pitch, its an institution that is passed on through the generations. Do I want a team to for once match the support, yes I would love it, but really, Bloom has put us back on our feet. As for the players and manager, then they will be judged by results on the field. But Paul Barber does not pick the players, or buy the players, or kick a football, so judge him on what he is paid to do, and that is run the off the field activities so to supply funds for the playing budget.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Terribly cynical, I now, but I firmly believe that Paul Barber will be off as soon as the club's accounts are published.

Thanks to the massive exodus of quality players, I anticipate that we will have significantly reduced our losses and very probably be FFP compliant. He will be able to claim that as a miracle turnaround at the club which, along with his "CEO of the Year" award, will no doubt look very impressive on his CV. He can then wave goodbye before the real horror of what has happened sinks in, and people start asking where 10000 season ticket holders went and why match day revenue has plummeted and how we ended up playing in League 1.

It's an interesting post. He wouldn't want the relegation issues on his CV, with a vast reduction in revenue from ST's, TV, sponsors etc.

Feb 14, 2010
Cobblers! I can remember plenty of great times following the Albion.

When you say "great times" you mean one trophy in 1910, a few seasons in the top flight and one losing FA Cup final. Brighton have a very large support despite of the team, not because of it. Barber does not buy the players, pick the team or kick a football. Sure, have a pop at the failing team and recruitment policy, but not the fans or Paul Barber. Have a pop at the fans if they dont turn up (but they do) and Paul Barber if the club is not generating revenue (which I understand it is).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think what Mr Barber's trying to say is this: We're on a learning curve and we're taking the positives moving forward. Our core mission statement is very much still in phase and all contributory stakeholders are fully tasked and are working hard on the deliverables. Within tightly-defined parameters some target variance is only to be expected, and non-contributory stakeholders* should be fully cognisant of the organisation's current achievements.

*The new name for 'fans'.

Well why didn't he just say so? Perfectly obvious now you've explained it

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
When you say "great times" you mean one trophy in 1910, a few seasons in the top flight and one losing FA Cup final. Brighton have a very large support despite of the team, not because of it. Barber does not buy the players, pick the team or kick a football. Sure, have a pop at the failing team and recruitment policy, but not the fans or Paul Barber. Have a pop at the fans if they dont turn up (but they do) and Paul Barber if the club is not generating revenue (which I understand it is).

Could we generate more revenue?
Could we reduce non playing costs (without compromising other aspects)?
How much involvement/interference does PB have in player recruitment, non recruitment?

None of us know the answers to these so defending him, or even attacking him, on these is ill considered. We can only judge on what we see or know

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Actually, I don't remember 1910.

And you're absolutely right of course - the failing team is just one of those things, and nobody's fault at all.

Feb 14, 2010
Actually, I don't remember 1910.

And you're absolutely right of course - the failing team is just one of those things, and nobody's fault at all.

I agree there is blame to apportion if we are playing that game. So lets do it. First in the firing line will of course be the players. Then the manager. Then the director of football. However the Chairman has put us back on our feet so its more than churlish to have a go at him. As for Barber, well, I understand his brief is to run the financial side and cut a loss. So judge him on that, Bloom on his contribution to the club and if you need to, blame the other three. Most important however, is that we have a chairman who wants this club to succeed and if he thinks things need changing, then no doubt he will make changes. The only ?? I have over PB is that it is said that he didnt get on with Poyet and that is why that relationship went wrong. If this is true (and I have no idea if it is true) then that was a great shame.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Are you a good judge of character? have you actually met Paul Barber and had a chat with him to form your judgement? If the answer is no, then I suggest you contact him and ask if its possible to meet up for a chat, then form an opinion / judgement, If you have met him, then fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion and your personal judgement is fine.

I have met him, he is actually a very decent guy, who answers literally every question put to him, and in my opinion when he is talking, on a one to one basis (or a small group) his conversation does most definitely not resemble that of a politician or the like. My opinion, obviously.

Well I met him and in a pretty long conversation he did indeed come across as a decent bloke. In his follow-up note he revealed himself as a patronising non-listener with a taste for spouting misleading drivel from a considerable distance up his own backside. There are some big hitters on this board who accept his endless spin but if I hear one more individual announce that "I'm team Barber" I shall weep tears of frustration.

Feb 14, 2010
Absolutely! - and that is what pretty much all the discussion on here is about.

OK so we agree, blame the players. Blame the manager (maybe for me as he didnt buy the team). Blame the recruitment policy. Blame Barber? I'm not sure how Barber is to blame for the team failing? Maybe if the rumours about him and Poyet are true, then perhaps, but Poyet has been gone a while now. So is the failing team Barber's fault? I dont see how it is.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Working on building sites for years. You have these corporate types more and more. They try and justify their wages spewing bile like this too. I just tell them exactly what PB needs telling. You're talking shit mate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here