Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Max Clifford Guilty

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Think there are few celebrities and high profile high level previous government people who attended the Elm house dark and very shady parties alongside The krays...of which MI5 have previously put a stop on Scotland Yard investigations...."allegedly" :down:

Frightening stuff around how far this will go!?

If the police ever probably investigate the Elm house B&B parties there will be a few well know faces going on a " summer holiday " in " Britain " !!!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I'm not linking this obviously but Google Jill Dando - Elm Guest House!

This Yewtree thing will go on and on! Frightening!

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I can see your logic but the thing is though, the evidence suggests they don't. More serious violent crime is much more common in a lot of American states than it is in the UK...

Probably due to the population. Haven't got any statistics but take into consideration the size of the states and gun friendly mentality then yes of course they are more likely to have more violent crimes than the UK.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Probably due to the population. Haven't got any statistics but take into consideration the size of the states and gun friendly mentality then yes of course they are more likely to have more violent crimes than the UK.

Well no, because it is of course measured per capita - Wikipedia says murder rate study by UN in 2012 had 4 times more murders per head than the UK. I think you are onto something with the gun issue though. Point is it is that crime deterrent is a totally unprovable point either way, but there is no evidence to suggest that tougher punishments do make comparable places safer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Longer sentences can certainly cut premeditated crime such as burglary and fraud, tax evasion etc. Crimes when you tend to consider your actions, and assess the risk vs reward scenario.

Violent crime, crimes of passion, or sexual crime can be different entirely though (not always), as the potential sentence is often of no consequence to the perpetrator. This is evident particularly of say murder where capital punishment in the US is no deterrent to the act of murder. The US has a murder rate of 4.8 murders per 100k population compared to our 1.2.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Well no, because it is of course measured per capita - Wikipedia says murder rate study by UN in 2012 had 4 times more murders per head than the UK. I think you are onto something with the gun issue though. Point is it is that crime deterrent is a totally unprovable point either way, but there is no evidence to suggest that tougher punishments do make comparable places safer.

The victims will feel much safer knowing that the perpetrator(s) are well and truly locked away for many many years so the victims can get on with their lifes and not worry about if they will be released the next day. Even if it isn't a deterrent then as least the public know that the criminals will come out so old that they'll not be able to commit a crime.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The victims will feel much safer knowing that the perpetrator(s) are well and truly locked away for many many years so the victims can get on with their lifes and not worry about if they will be released the next day. Even if it isn't a deterrent then as least the public know that the criminals will come out so old that they'll not be able to commit a crime.

Fair enough, I respect your view on that. I am just very uneasy with the whole "deterrent" idea.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I can see your logic but the thing is though, the evidence suggests they don't. More serious violent crime is much more common in a lot of American states than it is in the UK...

But it might be even higher in those U.S. States if the sentencing was more lenient. It's hard to call because they are usually a bit mental over there.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Longer sentences can certainly cut premeditated crime such as burglary and fraud, tax evasion etc. Crimes when you tend to consider your actions, and assess the risk vs reward scenario.

Violent crime, crimes of passion, or sexual crime can be different entirely though (not always), as the potential sentence is often of no consequence to the perpetrator. This is evident particularly of say murder where capital punishment in the US is no deterrent to the act of murder. The US has a murder rate of 4.8 murders per 100k population compared to our 1.2.

I understand your logic and perpetrators probably do go to the extreme in the U.S as they fully understand the consequences so have nothing to lose but over here then they commit a crime then are released back into the community then commit the same offence so it's better to lock them away so they don't commit the same offence the second time. It's better for them to go to the extreme the first time than allow them to continue their life of terror.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Fair enough, I respect your view on that. I am just very uneasy with the whole "deterrent" idea.

I know I say 'deterrent' but deep down then I know that there is no such thing but it's a soothing thought knowing that criminals are locked away for a very long time instead of being treated with leniency to the point of being rewarded.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
If he was a 71 year old scout leader found guilty would he be let out on bail till Friday?

If he's looking at 5 years, he might think 'f**k it' and blow the whistle on all the 'big stories' he's been suppressing on for years, either that or do a runner?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The big stories have been suppressed since the start of it in the 60's right through the 80's, I very much doubt it will all come out now due to how high it goes!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If he was a 71 year old scout leader found guilty would he be let out on bail till Friday?

If he's looking at 5 years, he might think 'f**k it' and blow the whistle on all the 'big stories' he's been suppressing on for years, either that or do a runner?

If there is a risk of him doing a bunk I am sure the court will have stopped his passport.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Ps: I wonder how many have super-injunctions in place?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The big stories have been suppressed since the start of it in the 60's right through the 80's, I very much doubt it will all come out now due to how high it goes!

I wonder what some of them are?

A bloke in a pub once old me a tale about Una Stubbs and a glass coffee table.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
HT will his money and connections a light plane out of Shoreham or Southend and a dodgy passport would be a cakewalk.

I guess it is possible. I'm not sure why, but I just can't see this happening. I guess we will know in a few days time :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here