Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Conspicuous by his absence of 'liking' any of Robert's Spain call up social media posts. But happy to post about his new Arsenal mates and what a great spell he had with him ???

I think you may be reading in to this a bit too much

Just because they are both goalkeepers and play/played at the same club doesn't mean that they have to be best mates and like every post on twitter.

Equally they may be such good mates that he has messaged him privately or maybe even seen him in person to say congratulations?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think you may be reading in to this a bit too much

Just because they are both goalkeepers and play/played at the same club doesn't mean that they have to be best mates and like every post on twitter.

Equally they may be such good mates that he has messaged him privately or maybe even seen him in person to say congratulations?

Exactly this. None of us know exactly what led to his dropping from the team, or to his departure on loan. Or for that matter who he is mates with and who he isn't, and that's tghe way it should be as far as l'm concerned.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Conspicuous by his absence of 'liking' any of Robert's Spain call up social media posts. But happy to post about his new Arsenal mates and what a great spell he had with him ???

charlie day.jpeg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
All”s well that ends well I guess, he doesn’t miss us and we don’t miss him. We are all happy and I wish him well.

Used to love his full length runs of the pitch and hanging around chatting to friends/fans at the end of games.

Very good for us for three seasons, not so great this season. This looks like it will turn out for the best for both him and the Albion.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
All”s well that ends well I guess, he doesn’t miss us and we don’t miss him. We are all happy and I wish him well.

Used to love his full length runs of the pitch and hanging around chatting to friends/fans at the end of games.

Very good for us for three seasons, not so great this season. This looks like it will turn out for the best for both him and the Albion.

Average for us, nothing more.

Good luck to him, I too enjoyed his goal celebration, but Sanchez is a significant improvement.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I agree with this. A huge huge part in keeping us in the Premier League.

A really good way of seeing whether a keeper is performing better or worse than expected is PSxG/+- (Per-Shot Expected Goals minus Goals Allowed).

Maty Ryan had two great seasons with us, and one and a half not so good.
17/18 = Conceded 4.2 fewer goals than expected.
18/19 = Conceded 3.5 more goals than expected.
19/20 = Conceded 3.5 fewer goals than expected.
20/21 = Conceded 3.2 more goals than expected (conceded 1 more goal than expected than expected over the entire season inc. Arsenal loan)

Robert Sanchez
20/21 = Conceded 4.8 fewer goals than expected. (8th highest performer in the League)

In short, Sanchez has been a revelation but Maty was pretty fantastic in 17/18 and 19/20 and everyone was a bit rubbish over the whole season in 18/19. It's a good move for everyone, but we should really be thankful for Maty's service to our club. I wish him nothing but success (as long as it isn't at our expense).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree with this. A huge huge part in keeping us in the Premier League.

A really good way of seeing whether a keeper is performing better or worse than expected is PSxG/+- (Per-Shot Expected Goals minus Goals Allowed).

Maty Ryan had two great seasons with us, and one and a half not so good.
17/18 = Conceded 4.2 fewer goals than expected.
18/19 = Conceded 3.5 more goals than expected.
19/20 = Conceded 3.5 fewer goals than expected.
20/21 = Conceded 3.2 more goals than expected (conceded 1 more goal than expected than expected over the entire season inc. Arsenal loan)

Robert Sanchez
20/21 = Conceded 4.8 fewer goals than expected. (8th highest performer in the League)

In short, Sanchez has been a revelation but Maty was pretty fantastic in 17/18 and 19/20 and everyone was a bit rubbish over the whole season in 18/19. It's a good move for everyone, but we should really be thankful for Maty's service to our club. I wish him nothing but success (as long as it isn't at our expense).

You need to analyse the ones he conceded and how many he could have done better, particularly after the first year, and they were numerous. Weak hand, over-reliance of Dunk and Duffy, flat dives..... sorry but the stats rarely tell a whole story......

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I think what probably sums things up for me is that I was totally emotionless when he left. There was something about him that I couldn’t abide, but I can’t put my finger on what it was. Either way, Sanchez is so much of an upgrade on him in virtually every area that I’ve stopped even thinking about it,

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well I for one think he was a good keeper for us. I really don't understand what people expect a newly promoted team to attract in terms of a keeper. Sheff Utd had a good one but he was on loan. Ramsdale is in the England squad but has had two consecutive relegations!! Pope makes good saves but can't distribute for toffee. De Gea makes mistakes, Pickford is regularly criticised, Leno let an easy one through the other week. Martinez is good but has only probably got his chance because of Maupay and Johnstone gets good ratings but has also been relegated.

Ryan might only be No. 2 at Arsenal but let's be honest, he was relegated to probably 4th at the drop of the hat. Jesus, I'd settle for No.2 at Sutton rather than being behind Steele in the pecking order!!!!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I think what probably sums things up for me is that I was totally emotionless when he left. There was something about him that I couldn’t abide, but I can’t put my finger on what it was. Either way, Sanchez is so much of an upgrade on him in virtually every area that I’ve stopped even thinking about it,

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Unfortunately I can see some (a vocal minority) giving him the boo treatment next season if he is playing or on the bench against us. Will be a hugely disappointing to forget what an important part he played for us

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Aussie.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well I for one think he was a good keeper for us. I really don't understand what people expect a newly promoted team to attract in terms of a keeper. Sheff Utd had a good one but he was on loan. Ramsdale is in the England squad but has had two consecutive relegations!! Pope makes good saves but can't distribute for toffee. De Gea makes mistakes, Pickford is regularly criticised, Leno let an easy one through the other week. Martinez is good but has only probably got his chance because of Maupay and Johnstone gets good ratings but has also been relegated.

Ryan might only be No. 2 at Arsenal but let's be honest, he was relegated to probably 4th at the drop of the hat. Jesus, I'd settle for No.2 at Sutton rather than being behind Steele in the pecking order!!!!

And I bet Ryan can take a penalty!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports