[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
As has been said, don't get worked up about it, Sanchez is the better Albion goalkeeper at this present moment in time.

Good luck to him at Arsenal, he'll need it.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Didnt really have any issue with what he said, the tone was just a bit condescending. Arsenal is obviously a step up, but he didnt have to mention the ''i had a plan to move on all along'' bit. Means if he returned in the summer his loyalties and commitment would obviously be in question. But its of no matter, we have a better keeper now.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Didnt really have any issue with what he said, the tone was just a bit condescending. Arsenal is obviously a step up, but he didnt have to mention the ''i had a plan to move on all along'' bit. Means if he returned in the summer his loyalties and commitment would obviously be in question. But its of no matter, we have a better keeper now.

I think allowance has to be made that he is Australian, you know, "wait till we get you to the Gabba mate", sand paper in your pockets, horrible cheating f**kers. If the worst of Maty is this interview, then he's one of the better ones.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Jeez. A lot of people getting worked up over nothing. The guy was unceremoniously dumped by the club. He went from number one to persona non grata in the space of one short meeting. He wasn’t told to stay and fight for his place, he was told to go. Of course he’s hurting. I think most of us would have been far less diplomatic in the circumstances.

It was has proven to be the right decision but I wish Maty all the best.

PS - plenty of casual bigotry towards the Aussies from people seemingly taking the moral high ground :ffsparr:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Jeez. A lot of people getting worked up over nothing. The guy was unceremoniously dumped by the club. He went from number one to persona non grata in the space of one short meeting. He wasn’t told to stay and fight for his place, he was told to go. Of course he’s hurting. I think most of us would have been far less diplomatic in the circumstances.

It was has proven to be the right decision but I wish Maty all the best.

??? ‘unceremoniously dumped?’ He was dropped after a series of poor performances and deservedly so, doesn’t matter how much that hurts his ego.

It’s obvious he’s made these remarks in a snide way, we still have him contracted for another 18 months, his comments are disrespectful towards the club that own him and essentially pay his wages. It’s as simple as that.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
??? ‘unceremoniously dumped?’ He was dropped after a series of poor performances and deservedly so, doesn’t matter how much that hurts his ego.

It’s obvious he’s made these remarks in a snide way, we still have him contracted for another 18 months, his comments are disrespectful towards the club that own him and essentially pay his wages, of course not until the end of the season but still. It’s as simple as that.

He was number one of four. Not just Robert Sanchez but Jason Steele and Christian Walton went ahead of him. Jason bloody Steele! That’s being unceremoniously dumped in my book and disrespectful to a keeper with 59 caps.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He was number one of four. Not just Robert Sanchez but Jason Steele and Christian Walton went ahead of him. Jason bloody Steele! That’s being unceremoniously dumped in my book.

It’s not that black and white though is it, having a grumpy number 2 goalkeeper in and around the squad wouldn’t have been good team management, hence why he’s obviously been told he’s not part of the plans, so there’s obviously more background noise to this story, especially with the added fuel of the Maupay incident from earlier in the season.

I personally think the way Ryan has spoken since he left has come across extremely unprofessional, he hasn’t even left us permanently yet, and I say this as someone who saw Ryan as a consummate pro.

It’s clear Ryan’s ego has probably got in the way of his professionalism and I get that, it’s got to hurt being dropped for an unknown young lad and then watching him far exceed your performances, but that doesn’t excuse bad mouthing your employer.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thought some of his comments were unnecessary but maybe he has a tingle in his mingle because Arsenal is his boyhood club (I mean wouldn't you if you got to play for the Albion?) and maybe a bit of bitterness if it went badly wrong behind closed doors with teammates and manager?

However, while I watched him in the Amex I thought he always did well enough, despite worries about his size, and I was happy with him as our keeper. no complaints. As others have said though his performances since covid weren't great and it can't be denied that without the protection of Dunk n Duffy he was somewhat exposed.

As above, it seems a win-win for both parties at the moment- we are very, very happy with Sanchez and with Ryan's wages being paid by someone else. And he's happy as a Gooner.

Let's hope at end of this season both parties are still happy!

Sorry, but please don’t ever compare an Australian playing for a team in London (‘boyhood club’!?) to a Sussex born and bred person who’s supported the Albion all their life playing for us. That’s just silly!

Agree with the rest :)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He was number one of four. Not just Robert Sanchez but Jason Steele and Christian Walton went ahead of him. Jason bloody Steele! That’s being unceremoniously dumped in my book and disrespectful to a keeper with 59 caps.

Interview showed why he was down to fourth option. If you go on a vacation do you want to bring the guy who spends it butthurt over not getting a first class ticket or do you want to bring the guy delighted and passionate about going at all?

His 59 caps for Australia is completely irrelevant.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It’s not that black and white though is it, having a grumpy number 2 goalkeeper in and around the squad wouldn’t have been good team management, hence why he’s obviously been told he’s not part of the plans, so there’s obviously more background noise to this story, especially with the added fuel of the Maupay incident from earlier in the season.

I personally think the way Ryan has spoken since he left has come across extremely unprofessional, he hasn’t even left us permanently yet, and I say this as someone who saw Ryan as a consummate pro.

It’s clear Ryan’s ego has probably got in the way of his professionalism and I get that, it’s got to hurt being dropped for an unknown young lad and then watching him far exceed your performances, but that doesn’t excuse bad mouthing your employer.

He said very clearly at the time and since he wanted to stay and fight for his place. He wasn’t given that opportunity. Potter was unequivocal in praising his character, but gave him no chance to demonstrate it.

Not sure about the Maupay thing, I personally think we just wanted a change in direction, a bigger presence in goal.

What happened to him is pretty unprecedented. I can’t think of another example of a player doing nothing more than being a bit out of form and told to go get another club in quite the way it happened here. It was very public. I just don’t see how you can expect him to be anything other than royally pissed off. How would you feel if your employer treated you like that?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Interview showed why he was down to fourth option. If you go on a vacation do you want to bring the guy who spends it butthurt over not getting a first class ticket or do you want to bring the guy delighted and passionate about going at all?

His 59 caps for Australia is completely irrelevant.

Potter praised his professionalism then assumes he would react unprofessionally?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He said very clearly at the time and since he wanted to stay and fight for his place. He wasn’t given that opportunity. Potter was unequivocal in praising his character, but gave him no chance to demonstrate it.

Not sure about the Maupay thing, I personally think we just wanted a change in direction, a bigger presence in goal.

What happened to him is pretty unprecedented. I can’t think of another example of a player doing nothing more than being a bit out of form and told to go get another club in quite the way it happened here. It was very public. I just don’t see how you can expect him to be anything other than royally pissed off. How would you feel if your employer treated you like that?

How was it "public" until Ryan said in some interview what had happened, that is - that GP told him he would give Rob Sanchez an extended run.

Its not "unprecedented". When players dont perform over an extended amount of time they are frequently told that they could go look for another club. Its very common.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potter praised his professionalism then assumes he would react unprofessionally?

"Top professional" doesnt mean Ryan wasnt disgruntled with being replaced. It could just mean he kept training well and doing what he should. Or GP was just being nice and not wanting to create a drama around it.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
How was it "public" until Ryan said in some interview what had happened, that is - that GP told him he would give Rob Sanchez an extended run.

Its not "unprecedented". When players dont perform over an extended amount of time they are frequently told that they could go look for another club. Its very common.

First team to not even on the bench and not even in contention for the squad is pretty unprecedented for a keeper, especially for one vastly more experiences than the others at the club. His performances were very average, but compare them to Allison’s in the last two games. Is it any wonder Ryan felt unsupported?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
"Top professional" doesnt mean Ryan wasnt disgruntled with being replaced. It could just mean he kept training well and doing what he should. Or GP was just being nice and not wanting to create a drama around it.

He didn’t have a chance to be disgruntled. He went from number one to completely out of the squad.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
First team to not even on the bench and not even in contention for the squad is pretty unprecedented for a keeper, especially for one vastly more experiences than the others at the club. His performances were very average, but compare them to Allison’s in the last two games. Is it any wonder Ryan felt unsupported?

Would it have been less "public" if he was sitting on the bench with the TV cameras zooming in on his face as Sanchez made some worldie save?

As for Allisons last two games... if he had a 47% save rate after 12 games and didnt cost £70m I think Klopp would have "unsupported" him and placed Kelleher in goal.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He didn’t have a chance to be disgruntled. He went from number one to completely out of the squad.

He could have been disgruntled anyway. Being out of the matchday squad doesnt mean he ceased to exist as a person or on the training facilities.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

He had been absolute rubbish and gave the defence the collywobbles. His replacement made us look much more solid and the defence have found their form and confidence. I’d say great management by Potter. Shame for Ryan but no argument with the manager’s decision from me

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I think the club have actually been very private about everything that’s gone on, they always are, I do think there has been a falling out but we’ll probably never know unless Ryan writes an autobiography or something

Regardless of any of that, making comments as he has when you still have 18 months left on your contract is not acceptable.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
He had been absolute rubbish and gave the defence the collywobbles. His replacement made us look much more solid and the defence have found their form and confidence. I’d say great management by Potter. Shame for Ryan but no argument with the manager’s decision from me

I don’t have any issue with the decision to replace him, I didn’t after time. I do find the decision to show him the door very harsh and I don’t think anyone can blame him for being anything other than upset.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports