[Albion] Match Thread: Brighton & Hove Albion vs Wannabe Brighton & Hove Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Decent game. Some positives and negatives. Nice to see that we've worked on set pieces. Joao Pedro looked excellent and should be able to play both 10 or 9 without issues. There was a massive Caicedo shaped hole though, they had way too much time and space outside our penalty area and didn't have to work too hard to abuse that weakness. Going to concede a lot of goals if we don't have a ball winning DMC.
I thought Gilmore did well in the first half, and Chelsea only scored from a goal mouth scramble.
The second half was an almost completely different team, as pre season friendlies often are, and we had 10 players.
In short, it was a glorified training excercise.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That seemed to be his biggest concern in his pre-match interview.

I’ve been assuming a starting front four of this for Luton:

Mitoma—————Ferguson—————March
————————-Lallana—————————

But, with Welbeck, Adingra and Undav looking so good, what does RDZ do? As for leaving Pedro out of a starting line-up, RDZ would be leaving himself open to allegations of gross misconduct. No wonder RDZ is saying Sarmiento needs a loan to gain minutes!

The competition for our attacking positions will be profound.
I was thinking the same thing. Although, based on a couple of poor touches in a 30 minute pre season run out, you've left Enciso off that list, who lest we forget was the absolute bollocks at the back end of last season

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As one has got used to match report virtually all about Chelsea……however when invited to click on a link to rate Brighton players it’s a tad annoying that it takes you to a link about Arsenal

Still it’s just a preseason friendly that will mean sod all when the real stuff gets going

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Alzate and Ayari I didn’t think did themselves massive favours yet
wow.

I thought they were both superb. Both very, very talented footballers. Both showed excellent composure, great touch and knocked the ball about first time like accomplished first team players that had been playing regularly in this specific system.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Watched most of the game last night, thought we were really good overall and some lovely slick passing and movement.

Missed Dunks commanding performance in the centre of defence, was he left out or still injured after the England pull out (looked ok on training videos)? Shows how important he is for us.

Caicedo and Estupinian still to add to the squad.

Enciso thought gone backwards to old habits of head down and trying to do too much. Was coached out of him by the end of last season, hopefully gets it sorted before the season starts.

Didn't see Bruno on their bench.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Lamptey if he ever gets fit enough and probably Julio arriving this week. Milner can do a job if needed. Still could do with a left back.
Lamptey os not good enough defensively to be a right back in a 4. Plus he makes glass look like titanium. We should have people who play rb and lb as cover, not players who might do a job.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
I took it as, our first team missing 3/4 key players drew 1-1. Our Reserves/still learning the system lost 3-2.
some very good performances in the first half. Silly decision from JP for the second yellow Which didn’t help but it’s pre-season and he’s young 0therwise, I thought he did well.

Slightly disappointing to lose to them, especially at the moment but never mind. I thought it was a good game all things considered.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Both sets of fans can feel good about that. Decent quality from both teams.

Chelsea, sadly, are a better team with Poch. He will get a tune out the squad he is budling.

Our players looked good, perhaps a little rusty but this little competition will sort that out.

No shame losing 3-4 with a makeshift defence for the last 30.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Both sets of fans can feel good about that. Decent quality from both teams.

Chelsea, sadly, are a better team with Poch. He will get a tune out the squad he is budling.

Our players looked good, perhaps a little rusty but this little competition will sort that out.

No shame losing 3-4 with a makeshift defence for the last 30.
Agree with this. I regretfully agree that Poch will make Chelsea better.
certainly no shame losing 4-3 when, unless I’m mistaken, we ended with only 1 senior defender on the pitch (Veltman).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
not to even mention the first yellow on JPVH that was never, ever shown on their coverage.

So was he shown a first yellow? If so, what exactly was the problem?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Only watched the 10 minutes highlights, but on the strength of that at least, Pedro in particular looks like he's going to be very exciting to watch!:love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports