Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match Series DVD - What are your thoughts on this?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4785815 said:
Are you going to avoid the result until it arrives in the mail? :jester:

:jester:
Not at all - as I only get to 5 or 6 games a season, plus whatever is televised, it would be nice to purchase a few games on DVD too. I know it sounds strange, because I already know the result and have seen the extended highlights on seagulls player, but I like to watch the team as much as I can.

I recon, if every home game is available, I would get 2 or 3 matches a season.

I know that makes me a sadcase :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is it the whole 90+ minutes of the game?

Each Match Series DVD will include a multi-camera broadcast of each home game in full commentary, and post-match reaction.

I'm afraid I've pretty much reached the point with most films that I don't see the point in buying them, as there's very little I want to watch more than once and have little time to do so. The same goes for this - particularly when I've already watched the game once with my own eyes.

The Donny game may be an exception due to the special nature of the day in question, but pretty much any other league game - no thanks.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Hadn't thought about it before, but you've sold me. I'd also like a Donny one, please.

With a bonus DVD of the whole game in cinematic stylie like the one released on youtube with emotional songs instead of a full commentary, just the important words screaming out from the tv - "Noone fantastic ball - Buuuucccckkkklllleeeeeeyyyyyy the first Amex hero has been born"

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm afraid I've pretty much reached the point with most films that I don't see the point in buying them, as there's very little I want to watch more than once and have little time to do so. The same goes for this - particularly when I've already watched the game once with my own eyes.

The Donny game may be an exception due to the special nature of the day in question, but pretty much any other league game - no thanks.

I'm with Bozza on this one. But so long as the club only make them to order and don't get their fingers burnt then its maybe a nice-to-have option. There's undoubtedly a market for particular matches e.g. Donny, Possibly also a market in flogging them to away fans e.g. the wretched FFS Murray match.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is it the whole 90+ minutes of the game?

I would happily watch all of the Soton, Newcastle, Leeds, Donny and Ipswich games in full again (or for the first time).

But £9.99 is just too steep. £5 each and I'd be all over them, and the club would still be making a sweet profit.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
On the official site it says "Full 90 minute matchday coverage of selected games"

Also, it looks like it says Match Day Series - Vol 1 on the Pompey cover, so guessing it only from now on, and may not be EVERY game.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've also been hoping for the full ninety minutes of the Donny game. Please please please Albion, release that one!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also: DVD? Really?

1. All our DVD boxes are in the loft with the discs in slimline holders tucked away in a cupboard downstaris. Soon, we'll be ripping all of those discs to local storage and lobbing the discs into the loft too. I don't want more cases and discs cluttering up the house.

2. Resolution. DVD is Standard Def. If this was distributed digitally, then they could look at 720p, or better, which is what people will want on their spanking big HD sets.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
On the official site it says "Full 90 minute matchday coverage of selected games"

Also, it looks like it says Match Day Series - Vol 1 on the Pompey cover, so guessing it only from now on, and may not be EVERY game.

It does say "the Collection starts with Pompey" so I took that as only being from now on and not any in the past?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It does say "the Collection starts with Pompey" so I took that as only being from now on and not any in the past?

Hopefully - well sort of.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think it's a great idea. I doubt I'll be re-watching many games any time soon but worth keeping for watching in ten or so years time. It would be lovely if the case had a slot for fitting the match day programme in.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I would absolutely LOVE a DVD of my first Albion game but they hadn't even invented VIDEOS then, let alone DVDs

There will be LOADS of people, especially the younger ones, who will be attending their first EVER Albion game at some stage this season.

What better way to remember it than a DVD of the game

WIN

Good work by the club IMO

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Excellent idea, but £10 is just too much

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
You'd have to pay me to watch the Pompey game again. We didn't have a shot for 50+ mins.

The good stuff (Vicente) is all over YouTube.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have to say the idea is good but the execution is a slice of bad marketing. The cost price of producing the dvds is a fraction of £9.99 so why not start by making a minimal profit and selling them for less than half that price. I would also include two games on each dvd. Once established, you could then start bumping up the price. Having said that, can't see me parting with £9.99 for one match, probably wouldn't even buy them at half that price.

Also, this being the 21st century and all that, you would have thought they would be looking at downloads.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Hm. Personally I would never watch 90 minutes of a game I've already seen. Good idea for distand fans but a monthly fee of 10-15 for a DVD highlights package would probably be much better recieved then £10 a game. As othershave said expect to see these in a bargain bin around Christmas.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
In the old days (1990's) at The Goldstone they used to sell videos containing 90 minutes of almost every match. I still have a couple, Bournemouth (think its the match with Ian chapman's blockbuster from 30 yards) and the Liverpool FA Cup replay. They were shot from only two camera angles, West Stand and North Stand, no commentary, no replays, just the match as you would have seen it on the night. Think I watched them a couple of times, the second fast forwarding to the goals. They've been in my parents loft since.

Good idea, but like others can't help thinking that the club will have loads left over, however, if they sell a few (and no doubt they feel they will) it's all money for the kitty which is a good thing in my book.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here