Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massimo Cellino blocks Sky Sports from Elland Road

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If clubs are losing out financially as a result of their games being arranged to accomodate TV, then they should be recompensed accordingly. I am sure they can sort a formula out.
Personally, I have got so fed up with the ever reducing number of games at 3 on a Saturday that I stopped our two season tickets this season. Not the Albion's fault, but it just wasn't viable as we were missing too many matches. Evening games are not convenient for everyone.
Anyone trying to take on the big broadcasters gets my vote. The stupid amount of money slushing round the big clubs is totally out of hand. I am surprised that the government don't slap a huge tax on the TV income - I would rather the money went to the NHS than the likes of Chelsea and Man U. It would be great to rein the whole lot in.
One bit of good news is that clubs like Leicester have been able to compete with lower budgets - so it could be done.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If Leeds were performing better in the league and going for promotion then there wouldn't be a drop in attendance and no discussion.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It's not about always being on TV
It's not about games being moved
And it's DEFINITELY NOT about supporters.

Cellino wants Leeds, and all other clubs, to own the rights to their games. Thus selling each game to the highest bidder. So let's imagine he gets his way and Leeds United PLC can sell each game off to Sky, BT, BBC, ITV or any other channel. They have a game scheduled on a Saturday against a lowly team and Pick TV offer him £25,000 to move it to a Tuesday at 6:30 do you think he'll care about the fans? NO he will take the money for sure.
Yes Sky need reining in a bit on the games they move and the BHA v Leeds is a good example, but we still take their money. Perhaps some sort of compensation is due to fans buying advance train tickets, hotels and other match day tickets they cant use, For sure something needs to be done but don't let Cellino own his own rights.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
5 live phone is was really interesting with loads of Leeds fans moaning like hell about switching our game to the Monday night and having booked train ticket on Saturday and being told they can't transfer them or get refunds.

Personally I would be happy if they stopped showing non prem matches and stuck to them...after all who the hell would want to watch QPR vs brighton on a Tuesday night apart from fans of the relevant teams who couldn't get to the game.

I cancelled my sky sports months ago and don't miss it at all...in fact I only get BT sports for free or I would cancel that too.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I agree your first point but £4M? I thought the fee was £150K a game. He's suggesting that he's losing out on the ticket revenue that would have been generated if the TV weren't there .... so if he loses about 4000 matchday sales then he's likely losing money.

He's still a wanchor though!

Fee is 100k to the home club rising to 110k for a Thursday and 120k for a Sunday.

Am sure that in the Albion accounts we made £2.5m from live TV revenue the last play off season and only £500k last season for being on TV significantly less, and that despite getting £2.5m in play off season we weren't on TV as often as Leeds.

4,000 at an average price of £20 is only £80k so someone's numbers are bang out of whack.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Am sure that in the Albion accounts we made £2.5m from live TV revenue the last play off season and only £500k last season for being on TV significantly less, and that despite getting £2.5m in play off season we weren't on TV as often as Leeds.

4,000 at an average price of £20 is only £80k so someone's numbers are bang out of whack.

The numbers might include the (so called) loyalty payment that sits on a line something like TV?

I got the 4000 at an average of £35 plus a bit of extras (programmes, booze etc)

Either way what he's doing is daft and won't serve any useful purpose except for putting him the spotlight, which he seems to thrive on

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
If clubs are losing out financially as a result of their games being arranged to accomodate TV, then they should be recompensed accordingly. I am sure they can sort a formula out.
Personally, I have got so fed up with the ever reducing number of games at 3 on a Saturday that I stopped our two season tickets this season. Not the Albion's fault, but it just wasn't viable as we were missing too many matches. Evening games are not convenient for everyone.
Anyone trying to take on the big broadcasters gets my vote. The stupid amount of money slushing round the big clubs is totally out of hand. I am surprised that the government don't slap a huge tax on the TV income - I would rather the money went to the NHS than the likes of Chelsea and Man U. It would be great to rein the whole lot in.
One bit of good news is that clubs like Leicester have been able to compete with lower budgets - so it could be done.

The vast majority of this money goes into players wages, and the income Tax system 'should' do the rest....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed. The fixtures that I downloaded to my outlook had it as 3.00pm yesterday and I only realised it had moved when reading the Middlesbrough programme!

Me similar. Very nearly embarrassing :lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Rachel Burden - Y or N ???

1344905141.jpg

Not a difficult decision.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A question for those moaning about sky, would you turn down the TV money if Promoted?

This is not about the fans - Italian football seems more affected by TV games than the UK leagues.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think over half of this was in the form or solidarity payments from the Premier League.

Close to half - £2.3m a season.

Solidarity Payments to FL clubs, based on agreement with Football League (wtih no existing formula/mechanism) for 2013/14-2015/16
FL Championship clubs: £2.3million/season
FL League One clubs: £360,000/season
FL League Two clubs: £240,000/season

Source: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/...ease-football-league-solidarity-payments.html

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
His rationale is that the compensation they receive for a Sky home game is less than the loss of gate receipts. As they are such a MASSIVE club, the average compensation rate discriminates against them since the absolute gate loss is greater for them.

None of us really know what the detailed contractual position between the clubs and the FL is re. Sky. However, if he doesn't back down then the FL are likely to fine Leeds heavily. The only winners will be the lawyers.

PG

Clubs receive about £100-120k per match from Sky for a home fixture.

At an average match ticket price of (say) £30 this means that it would take 3-3,500 punters to stop attending for it to be worthwhile. Given that a significant number of fans are STH, there's little evidence from looking at Leeds' gates that they are significantly losing out on that number of walk up fans at Elland Road for a home match. In addition their marketing department is going to get grief from perimeter advertising sponsors who were expecting their hoardings to be seen by about 4-500,000 viewers.

Leeds don't have shirt sponsors because.............Cellino fell out with the sponsors, so once again the lawyers are getting rich.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Clubs receive about £100-120k per match from Sky for a home fixture.

At an average match ticket price of (say) £30 this means that it would take 3-3,500 punters to stop attending for it to be worthwhile. Given that a significant number of fans are STH, there's little evidence from looking at Leeds' gates that they are significantly losing out on that number of walk up fans at Elland Road for a home match. In addition their marketing department is going to get grief from perimeter advertising sponsors who were expecting their hoardings to be seen by about 4-500,000 viewers.

Leeds don't have shirt sponsors because.............Cellino fell out with the sponsors, so once again the lawyers are getting rich.

You've made my point more accurately and eloquently for me.

Nothing more than an ego trip for Mr Cellino.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here