Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Masks

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Barbs ain't going to be happy with these......

View attachment 126191
Nor my mask.

593fecc7d8e210cb6c03234731b2d94d.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Interesting to see how much footfall declines from Friday. I think it will be huge and contrary to masks, muzzles, face nappies making people feel " safe " I think it will have the exact opposite and make a trip to the shops like something from a post nuclear zombie film. The policy will end most of the high street outlets for a new way of life ordering online from a few multi nationals. Sad so many people think this is all a normal now. I am stocking up this week and then ordering online. The infection rate in Brighton has however " surged to 1 person in 22000 the last week so I guess it was inevitable

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Interesting to see how much footfall declines from Friday. I think it will be huge and contrary to masks, muzzles, face nappies making people feel " safe " I think it will have the exact opposite and make a trip to the shops like something from a post nuclear zombie film. The policy will end most of the high street outlets for a new way of life ordering online from a few multi nationals. Sad so many people think this is all a normal now. I am stocking up this week and then ordering online. The infection rate in Brighton has however " surged to 1 person in 22000 the last week so I guess it was inevitable

Agree entirely. My wife already feels very intimidated by masked people in the supermarket, more so than by the virus itself. We've been ordering online from local farms and shops where we can, but we'll hardly be visiting the high street. Proper normal seems to get further away.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
In contrast my wife feels annoyance and some fear of people not wearing a mask in supermarkets. “Do they want everyone to get ill? “ is the phrase.
I must agree with her. To me it is a no brainer it has been clearly demonstrated that masks go a long way to prevent the droplets containing the virus. Of course they should be used.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm pleased to see today that my local shop will be refusing entry from Friday if you don't have a face covering on. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, that does to their trade as they've been booming since March and most customers have not been wearing one thus far.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Definitely up, but over half not wearing a mask in the supermarket tonight.

I'd put that down to unawareness. Just sell them at the door.

Yoda

English & European
I genuinely find the mask thing in the UK bizarre.

You're not the only one. The Governments own scientific advice from SAGE for self isolating under Test & Trace says a close contact needs to be within 2m of you for at least 15 minutes for them to also be contacted to be advised to self isolate, as it is believed that you will not pick up enough viral agent otherwise to be infected no matter the setting. (Remember this is the same guidance given to the PL to allow football to start up again).

Who here has spent 15 minutes in close contact with a complete stranger when out shopping?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
You're not the only one. The Governments own scientific advice from SAGE for self isolating under Test & Trace says a close contact needs to be within 2m of you for at least 15 minutes for them to also be contacted to be advised to self isolate, as it is believed that you will not pick up enough viral agent otherwise to be infected no matter the setting. (Remember this is the same guidance given to the PL to allow football to start up again).

Who here has spent 15 minutes in close contact with a complete stranger when out shopping?

You misunderstand me. I find it bizarre that people are not wearing a face covering. Its really not a big deal. Czech government made them mandatory with heavy fines for not covering your face. Less than 400 lives have been lost. When I see the UK with numbers like 45000, and still rising, Im wondering why they are not mandatory in the UK.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You misunderstand me. I find it bizarre that people are not wearing a face covering. Its really not a big deal. Czech government made them mandatory with heavy fines for not covering your face. Less than 400 lives have been lost. When I see the UK with numbers like 45000, and still rising, Im wondering why they are not mandatory in the UK.

Stable door, bolted

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wonder how long people will be holding on to a single manky mask. Bought individually, these things are not cheap. £1.50 seems to be the going rate in newsagent windows. When the 5p charge was introduced for supermarket carrier bags, sales dropped by about 80% overnight. If people are going to multiple-use carrier bags to save a poxy 5p, how much use are the same demographic going to try and squeeze out of a £1.50 mask? Could get dangerously messy

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Seen an online poll today today with 45% of people saying they won't be wearing a mask. Suggests people aren't really signed up to complying with this requirement.

The shops aren't really going to enforce it, and challenging people without a mask on who may have an exemption may not be reasonable.

I think we are probably going to carry on as we were- some people choosing to wear masks, some not. Maybe more wearing masks initially but I think within a few days / weeks we will be back at a similar proportion of mask-wearers to what we had prior to today's rule change. Which were I live was about 5-10% mask-wearers, 90-95% not.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Yes he seems to have missed that point

Not really, wear masks, it will possibly save lives. People keep making excuses for not wearing them, and the death rate is rising
Doesnt even have to be a mask, wear a scarf, just cover up. Make a mask. All I see from people are excuses not to wear them. If Czech people can manage to produce cheap face coverings, and the population have the sense to wash them, I dont see why people in the UK cant.

Last edited:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIIKjrcYn8w

As you can see, people made masks, in fact, a cottage industry arose out of it, and people didnt rely on any single sort of mask. They almost became fashion items, and with only, sounds ridiculous, only, 364 deaths, they seemed to have worked..

Today, they are considering re-introducing them following a rise in cases since they relaxed the law on them.

Yoda

English & European
Not really, wear masks, it will possibly save lives. People keep making excuses for not wearing them, and the death rate is rising
Doesnt even have to be a mask, wear a scarf, just cover up. Make a mask. All I see from people are excuses not to wear them. If Czech people can manage to produce cheap face coverings, and the population have the sense to wash them, I dont see why people in the UK cant.

I haven't even said my actual excuse yet as I like to keep my medical history to myself. All I was doing was stating how contradictory the governments scientific evidence was.

If I am sat down doing nothing, I can just about wear a mask. When up and walking about, forget it. I have an asthma related breathing condition. When wearing a mask and walking about, I struggle to breathe in a natural fashion almost to the point when I start to hyperventilate. If this had been about 10+ years ago, when I was fitter, I may not have had such an issue.

It's the single minded attitude demonising all people not wanting to wear one under the same umbrella that has made me decide not to even bother going to the shops etc now, as I cannot be bothered to deal with the hassle & harassment from muppets jumping to conclusions. Now feels like I'm being victimised & punished for something I cannot control. To me, this is more of a lockdown than the actual lockdown was.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

What Yoda said and it’s not rising ..and US point re stable door seems relevant

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
What Yoda said and it’s not rising ..and US point re stable door seems relevant

How is the "stable door" relevant? A horse is either in the stable or not? Shutting the door after it has gone out does not reduce the amount of horse outside. Masks should have been used sooner, but if you accept they work to reduce infection why not use them? Should people not bother washing hands and socially distancing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here