Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martyn Blyth - RIP

baggie227

Seagulls over AZ
Jul 8, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
No that was Trev Wood who did the banoffie pie bit - I was the next one, with the shiny head.

Hey DVRVS - us numpties drank England dry, or tried to, thats why we moved here - no challenges trying to keep up with the locals here though - always plenty of the cold stuff available. You go for it though, just duck when Rod chucks up again. Ask him about the bacon rind in Norwich:sick:

Grundy - my memory of Hereford is a little diff to yours - i remember you came up with the container - I had to stick me arm down the drain to fill it. Your AA card was a blessing though for getting home. Remember waking up, totally bladdered. outside Reading and getting in the AA wagon to sleep a little more. Once told my missus that was the best day of my life - havent had sex with her since - dont know what she's so upset about - the rest was just getting wed, birth of our kids and that - Hereford was diamond:laugh:

Grundy is the one who came up with Martyn being 'a man amongst men' - good on ya mate - toast him to that at Savannahs

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
The return journey back from Wycombe

And I remember driving Dick, Lee, Waz and Martyn back from an evening game at Wycombe Wanderers and some individuals, let's say Martyn and Lee here....had the most awful wind. It was so bad that despite leaving a window open overnight and tactically placing an air freshener in the car the next morning my wife refused to get in the car for the obligatory lift to work. She could not believe that individuals were capable of making that sort of smell!

Just another memory!

:moo:

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
All welcome 1pm 31st of july at savanah bar, haywards heath ,the broadway. To celebrate martyns life have a beer,chat and mull over the old times.

What sort of numbers would you guess at mate, looking to be a good few to share the memories and toast the man

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

dvrvs

Jul 8, 2010
We all recall Martyn snoring and how bad it was, I once shared a room in Mallorca for a whole week, my hearing and sense of smell have never been the same since, but I do believe the Good Lord gave him that snore for a purpose.

One trip to Sunderland was particularly hectic, not sure of full details as memory fading fast but I do remember getting no sleep Friday night on way up to Coleman’s at Darlo and about two hours before driving back Saturday night.

Part way home I suddenly felt I was driving on a very rough road, the hard shoulder to be exact, I woke up with a start and realised that I had fallen asleep at the wheel. Now any sensible person would have pulled over for a kip but being on a motorway this was not possible until the next turnoff in about ten miles and I had to get Lizzie back to her pitch at King’s Cross for the 6 o’clock back to Wiltshire. Meanwhile Manatee had woken up in the back and told me not to worry, he would stay awake and make sure I did not fall asleep again. Next thing I knew was the sound of a loud car horn as I had kipped off again and had driven across in front of the only car for miles around. And where was the big fella ? Fast asleep in the back, snoring his flipping head off.

Whilst he did wake up and talk to me now and again, he was about as useful as a fart in a trance but on one occasion for which I will be eternally grateful, a particularly loud and devastating snort woke me up just before I drove into the path of the only 25 ton lorry on the M1 at 3 on a Sunday morning. I veered away and threw everyone around the vehicle like beans in maracas. Three of them woke up and swore, and guess who stayed asleep ? Probably kept us from a very nasty accident and never even realised.

Reevesy

South Standers did it standing up.

Hooray Henley

Jul 7, 2010
Henley on Thames
I shared a room with him on two memorable Club 18-30 holidays, first in Toremolinos then in Santa Ponsa Mallorca. Funny old thing - we never actually spent very many nights in our own room, it was sort of whoever managed to talk some poor unsuspecting sort into a liaison first got the room for the night, and it was normally him. I have a dim memory I think it was in Santa Ponsa, and for some reason Martin had to do a bit of balcony hopping to avoid a husband or something, and there was quite a drama. I don't remember all the details but I know it was quite serious and Martin really took the hump over it. Blackadder or Savanah, can you remember any more about that.

The other funny thing was in Toremolinos where the hotel owner wanted Martin and I thrown out because the Maid refused to clean our toilet any more - Well we'd found a decent cury house hadn't we!!!!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Martin had to do a bit of balcony hopping to avoid a husband or something, and there was quite a drama. I don't remember all the details but I know it was quite serious and Martin really took the hump over it. Blackadder or Savanah, can you remember any more about that.

Bob, Joe and I nearly broke our necks trying to balcony hop to get into his/your room! Then coming back because he locked the patio doors to his/your room (or was it ours?)

He did spend more time than us during the day on the chat! (Remember the "Kilt"). Oh and that mob from Potters Bar! "Don't wind that bloke up, he punches holes in cars! :eek:

Egg on Legs! :laugh:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
:gossip:

Who knows mate! hope its a good turn out, nice to do some brain storming about the past:gossip:

I think it will be a good turn out Rory, I think it will!:drink:

Hooray Henley

Jul 7, 2010
Henley on Thames
Yeah! Egg on legs - or was it Jeff on toast?

And remember Bob won all AJ's wonga in a card game on the first night and then had to pay for everything for him. never did work out who came out best from that card game:shrug:

Last edited:

we were behind the goal i recall, i was standing next to nick clowes. Next memory was on pitch, near the goal, cannot recall the perpetrators, but made a good job of snapping bar

up the shots!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• hols 370.JPG
    hols 370.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 264

dvrvs

Jul 8, 2010
The only thing that worries me about this is the possibility that the Sussex constabulary could pitch up and empty their "unsolved" book in about twenty minutes of earwiging

Careless talk and all that

Turning up 30 years late is about right for Sussex Plod.

And If they do pitch up surely we can remember what to do ?

Batten down the hatches, splice the mainbrace and defend The Alamo (Roddy's place) to the death.

Bags I be Davy Crocket.

As for you Dodge Rocks (where the hell did you get that from ? At least the initials are right,) oh (by far) eldest daughter, if you don't turn up on the 31st, I will immediately stop all maintenance cheques.

I would like to clarify here that you were not "outside Marylebone police station on the Edgware Road" because you had just been released for nefarious activities and that it just happened to be near to the station from Swindon, (now there's another story !)

I do indeed remember the girl guide party, I thought Plod would at least have tried a bit harder as these kids must have been scared silly, but hey, we are talking about the Met here, too busy tearing around in Ford Granadas and Capris and growing sideburns to do any real work.

As for freezing on the way back from Chesterfield, I bet it was not as brassy as Sunderland away for your 18th, 2 - 0 to the blues, Norman Piper ruled, the Roker roar frightened the life out of us and a huge round of applause for the Albion from the home fans when they came out for the 2nd half. "We appreciate good football up here," or words to that effect said the Wearsider next to us. I had never felt so proud of my Albion. Stopped up with Tony Coleman at Darlo, long journey with Eric the toothless one, (anyone remember his surname?), Graham Ware and was it Steve West or Mudgie ?

Roddy, if Lizzie is coming along, best order another two cases of dry white.

This could get crowded, to increase space, best we invade and commandeer Orange Square, reduce it to rubble and remind ourselves what the East Terrace looked like.

Reevesy

Turning up 30 years late is about right for Sussex Plod.

And If they do pitch up surely we can remember what to do ?

Batten down the hatches, splice the mainbrace and defend The Alamo (Roddy's place) to the death.

Bags I be Davy Crocket.

As for you Dodge Rocks (where the hell did you get that from ? At least the initials are right,) oh (by far) eldest daughter, if you don't turn up on the 31st, I will immediately stop all maintenance cheques.

I would like to clarify here that you were not "outside Marylebone police station on the Edgware Road" because you had just been released for nefarious activities and that it just happened to be near to the station from Swindon, (now there's another story !)

I do indeed remember the girl guide party, I thought Plod would at least have tried a bit harder as these kids must have been scared silly, but hey, we are talking about the Met here, too busy tearing around in Ford Granadas and Capris and growing sideburns to do any real work.

As for freezing on the way back from Chesterfield, I bet it was not as brassy as Sunderland away for your 18th, 2 - 0 to the blues, Norman Piper ruled, the Roker roar frightened the life out of us and a huge round of applause for the Albion from the home fans when they came out for the 2nd half. "We appreciate good football up here," or words to that effect said the Wearsider next to us. I had never felt so proud of my Albion. Stopped up with Tony Coleman at Darlo, long journey with Eric the toothless one, (anyone remember his surname?), Graham Ware and was it Steve West or Mudgie ?

Roddy, if Lizzie is coming along, best order another two cases of dry white.

This could get crowded, to increase space, best we invade and commandeer Orange Square, reduce it to rubble and remind ourselves what the East Terrace looked like.

Reevesy

Or we could give one up as a sacrifice,I'm sure they would cut a deal for one of the most notorious football generals of the 70's,they might even put some money behind the bar!!!!! Altogether now! IT WAS REEVES:guns:Go out fighting mate!

dvrvs

Jul 8, 2010
Or we could give one up as a sacrifice,I'm sure they would cut a deal for one of the most notorious football generals of the 70's,they might even put some money behind the bar!!!!! Altogether now! IT WAS REEVES:guns:Go out fighting mate!

Moi ? Un Général ? Sacre Bleu !

I could take that as a compliment but don’t generals send the brave lads off to war whilst sitting in the luxury of their London clubs drinking port and eating kippers ?

There were no generals, only troops.

And I don’t like kippers.

Reevesy.

Time to grow old disgracefully.

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Reevesy considers sending out his troops!

stonewall_jackson_2.jpeg

dvrvs

Jul 8, 2010
Reevesy considers sending out his troops!

stonewall_jackson_2.jpeg

Stonewall was one of my childhood heroes, he put the Union to flight in the first Civil War dust up at the Battle of Bull Run, the only problem was he got accidentally shot by his own men and died of pneumonia two days later.

Two can use Wikipedia, Blackadder.

And yes, I do have the flag.

Reevesy.

Time to grow old disgracefully.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here