Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marseille

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
This is also the case for East Midlands.
If anyone lives close to London, a train to East Mids is probably just as quick as trains across France that some are considering.
It's a bit of a faff but I had a look and from my place it's 3 hours door to door. Train to derby then another local train. Pretty good option for Londoners. And a bargain at 16 quid.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I'm in the same boat. I really want to go Marseille but flight prices are ridiculous now. I'm not being ripped off. Its looks like it's going to be the same for the other away games. If we reach the knockout stages you need to book the flights the moment the draw is made.
I think you can still be a bit creative and get some better prices. If you fly to Toulouse, options with BA/EasyJet/RyanAir then the return prices were very reasonable only yesterday. Yes it’s a bit of extra hassle to get to Marseilles from there, maybe even would need to hire a car, but it’s not impossible.

I did that in the 1998 World Cup the other way around and ended up flying out of Marseilles for the England game played in Toulouse. Whilst not my first choice, it was certainly a reasonable option.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It’s not hyperbole at all. It was always bad but has got even worse since crowds increased. It’s no solution at all to just shrug and say 'tough shit, there’s no chance of improving things.' Twice during the coldest period of last season I’ve been stuck on that bloody railway bridge for an hour, and for the same time in the park and ride crowd. The only way to avoid this is to leave before the end of the match which is why so many do so. I’ve never been aware of any extra trains being laid on in the direction of Eastbourne. Public transport in the UK is absolutely atrocious but perhaps you have to have lived in mainland Europe, where transport is regarded as a vital public service, to fully realise just how bad it is here. The trouble is, we’ve become so inured over so long to it being shit that we no longer think that cancelled services or queuing for an hour or more in the open air in winter are things worth complaining about.

Over Christmas, my teenaged godson who lives in Scotland will be staying with relatives in London. After all I’ve told him about Brighton he’s mad keen to come down for the Tottenham game on Boxing Day. But do you think there’s any chance of getting a train on Boxing Day? Of course not, this is the UK, not any other normal civilised country with a functioning public transport service. Don’t tell me I’m imagining this. We’re all to blame — the government, the unions, and especially the long-suffering travelling public who just shrug and say, well that’s just the way it is.
But that’s the problem I have, you repeatedly say this is the case, but you have no idea what is going on, how people are trying to fix things, with the time and resources they have. You have shown that you don’t understand how it works, as they have been extra trains in that direction, but you are ignorant to it, if you want to magic a new signal block section on that route, you’d be most welcome, if you think it’s a rubbish service (which quite often it is) you have to offer a solution. You think everyone is sitting around going this is great it works well. You say the only solution is to leave early, you can just stay and have a drink in the concourse, like thousands do. Boxing Day is a public holiday here, not in most of Europe, a lot of other facilities are closed.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you can still be a bit creative and get some better prices. If you fly to Toulouse, options with BA/EasyJet/RyanAir then the return prices were very reasonable only yesterday. Yes it’s a bit of extra hassle to get to Marseilles from there, maybe even would need to hire a car, but it’s not impossible.

I did that in the 1998 World Cup the other way around and ended up flying out of Marseilles for the England game played in Toulouse. Whilst not my first choice, it was certainly a reasonable option.
Agree with this. And you can actually turn the trip into a very enjoyable short break by being more creative. Toulouse is a lovely city in its own right.....maybe stay there for a few days as well.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

It's over 400km between Toulouse and Marseille ! You're surely better off going to east midlands or Bristol.

It's an option though I guess

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
It's over 400km between Toulouse and Marseille ! You're surely better off going to east midlands or Bristol.

It's an option though I guess
I drove that on my Jack Jones in a 1.0 Clio! I recall it was about a tenth of the airfare to do it, so well worth the effort. Sat next to Harry and Sandra (Redknapp) on the flight home too, but don’t let that put you off!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
But that’s the problem I have, you repeatedly say this is the case, but you have no idea what is going on, how people are trying to fix things, with the time and resources they have. You have shown that you don’t understand how it works, as they have been extra trains in that direction, but you are ignorant to it, if you want to magic a new signal block section on that route, you’d be most welcome, if you think it’s a rubbish service (which quite often it is) you have to offer a solution. You think everyone is sitting around going this is great it works well. You say the only solution is to leave early, you can just stay and have a drink in the concourse, like thousands do. Boxing Day is a public holiday here, not in most of Europe, a lot of other facilities are closed.
Again with the taking it personally. I’m an accountant, imagine if I burst into tears every time someone slagged off an accountant?

billhems

NSC Patron
Oct 23, 2022
Many thanks to Voj for all the useful info. Can I ask about hotels. I heard from a friend of a friend that its not a good idea to stay near the velodrome because away fans get bussed to the ground from the city centre, is that right? Also, any idea where the ticket pick up will be?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Again with the taking it personally. I’m an accountant, imagine if I burst into tears every time someone slagged off an accountant?
Same here; as a male model I had to develop a thick skin to bitchy comments very quickly.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I too am an accountant. I’m reassured to know that at some point it’s possible to get past the bursting into tears stage every time I get slagged off. It’s a chink of light that offers hope for the future !

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
If I burst into tears every time someone slagged a rail worker off, I wouldn’t be able to leave the house, just getting a bit bored of this same thing being brought up by the same people all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here