Sep 10, 2010
London

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
image.jpg

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Cry god for the Albion, Di Zerbi and St Dunk!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
There’s also 10,000 coppers around the King and Queen where there are loads of Marseille fans flipping the bird at passing buses.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Water fountain, the scenes at Brighton station are insane
Some Marseille fans that got on an Eastbourne bound train with me just now asked if their match tickets gets them to Falmer on the train. I think that lad in The Bath Arms earlier was texting his mates to come and buy me a drink.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Some Marseille fans that got on an Eastbourne bound train with me just now asked if their match tickets gets them to Falmer on the train. I think that lad in The Bath Arms earlier was texting his mates to come and buy me a drink.

Hope you told them they needed to go back to Brighton to get a train to Gatwick as that’s the proper route 👍

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
That's funny, my French friends in Canada are quick to mock the Quebecoi accent and people.
What they don't realise is that, until the Revolution, all educated Frenchmen spoke with the same accent as us. Our ancestors were mostly colonists from the north of France who spoke Norman and Breton. It was les Filles du Roy who were sent by the King to marry the colonists, multiply and teach them proper French. Today's European French accent is actually the one spoken in Paris at the end of the 18th century's -- and remember, it was the People's Revolution. Thus, your friends speak the equivalent of Cockney. Yes, we in Québec actually speak the French equivalent of the King's English!

Our accent is definitely more musical, with many more vowel and consonant sounds. We also say that the French speak en cul de poule, i.e. they constrict their throat and lips like a chicken's arsehole when they speak. We French-Canadians speak full-throatedly, like in the USA.

Still, rhe mutual mocking is de bonne guerre! If a lottery ticket were to make me a multi-multi-millionnaire overnight, I'd definitely buy an apartment in downtown Paris... as well as in Caenaerfon, Brighton and a village by a fjord in East Iceland!

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There’s also 10,000 coppers around the King and Queen where there are loads of Marseille fans flipping the bird at passing buses.
That's 20,000 coppers then. How many at the stadium ?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
all pretty chilled at the station right now struggling to find 60 coppers let alone 10000

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
What they don't realise is that, until the Revolution, all educated Frenchmen spoke with the same accent as us. Our ancestors were mostly colonists from the north of France who spoke Norman and Breton. It was les Filles du Roy who were sent by the King to marry the colonists, multiply and teach them proper French. Today's European French accent is actually the one spoken in Paris at the end of the 18th century's -- and remember, it was the People's Revolution. Thus, your friends speak the equivalent of Cockney. Yes, we in Québec actually speak the French equivalent of the King's English!

Our accent is definitely more musical, with many more vowel and consonant sounds. We also say that the French speak en cul de poule, i.e. they constrict their throat and lips like a chicken's arsehole when they speak. We French-Canadians speak full-throatedly, like in the USA.

Still, rhe mutual mocking est de bonne guerre! If a lottery ticket were to make me a multi-multi-millionnaire overnight, I'd definitely buy an apartment in downtown Paris... as well as in Caenaerfon, Brighton and a village by a fjord in East Iceland!

Very interesting to get a perspective from the Quebec side, thanks for the good reply!
The French over here (Western Canada) generally say the Quebec accent is most similar to a rural french village/farmer accent, similar to say the SW Corner between Bristol, Somerset and Cornwall.

I've also heard that Quebecois often look down their noses at the French within Quebec, but maybe that's a Montreal thing, or a generilzation, I don't know as I haven't directly experienced it. Although I do know there's obviously some divide between Francophones and Anglophones in QC (I can only really speak of Montreal as I haven't been anywhere else).

I may well be headed over to Ottawa next year, just across the river from you, depending how my work plays out,

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I’ve just helped a very pleasant and pleasantly surprised French family buy some scarfs from the club shop.

They only had cash so asked if I could swap cash for card to help out.

They were clearly using all their funds to be here so when offered a program at the till I bought one and gave it to the 2 kids (I’m to tight to buy them one each).

Anyway, some Gallic emotion and a couple of selfies later we parted ways, but not before the father expressed just how taken back he was by the friendly welcome they have had in Brighton.

I like that, mission accomplished.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
I may well be headed over to Ottawa next year, just across the river from you, depending how my work plays out,
@Vankleek Hill Seagull , @Quebec Seagull and myself have had some chats about watching a match together. Work and some personal issues have kept me pretty busy recently (if a year+ is recent...)- but let me/us know if you're heading here - would be nice to finally arrange that match!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here