Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McGhee

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Yeah fair point but its only one game. Harty had some good games at right back as did Reid at left/right full back El Abds etc etc

Whether that remains the case it another matter tho.

What about Mayo out of position at Saints? Another good call or not?

In truth, El Abd also played out of position to a certain extent because as Bucky will tell you, the guy really is a centre-back.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
London Irish said:
The criticisms of McGhee on this thread are utterly incoherent, concentrating on utter trivia like his comments about the Southampton game that were designed to take the pressure off his players. Any of the 3,200 of you went to the game, can you seriously say you were shortchanged by the effort and desire put in by the players after going 1-0 down?

And people are STILL moaning about him playing players out of position after the success of Lynch :lolol:

Point(s) of view...
1) only my opinions, but they were thoroughly coherent.

2)A comment of im not thinking about this game as important is as clumsy as it is wrong- we expect every game to be important. If he had said "there is no pressure on my team to perform given the extenuating circumstances we find ourselves in." i would agree with you. He did not.

3)I went to the game and i was pleasantly surprised by the amount of effort put in by the players- despite McGhee's comments...

4)Since when has 1 swallow made a summer my friend? Lynch is a left footed defender and as such coped as you would expect him too.
Albert Jarret in attack? No.
Mayo as a holding midfielder- not very succesful despite the goal and general good solid effort.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:

In truth, El Abd also played out of position to a certain extent because as Bucky will tell you, the guy really is a centre-back.

But Steve if you had watched the Albion before we came back to Withdean you would know that Mayo started out as a central midfielder and one season even scored 6 goals from that position, so it was not totally alien to him. It was not until Mickey Adams arrived that he really started to play at left back, but this was before football was fashionable, so you would not know this.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:

Yeah but I recall that Mayo was originally a midfielder. Then shifted to the left wing in the days at Gillingham (oh the horror the horror) where he was our top scorer in our first season with a whopping 9 goals or something. Helped coz he scored two against Chester I think.

I believe it was Adams that started playing him at left back?

So hes sort of back where he started albeit older, heavier and less ginger.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Uncle Buck said:
But Steve if you had watched the Albion before we came back to Withdean you would know that Mayo started out as a central midfielder and one season even scored 6 goals from that position, so it was not totally alien to him. It was not until Mickey Adams arrived that he really started to play at left back, but this was before football was fashionable, so you would not know this.

I think he was being ironic in that unwitty smug way that he does- To him Mayo as an anchoring centre mid looks inspired because Mayo scored.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah but I recall that Mayo was originally a midfielder. Then shifted to the left wing in the days at Gillingham (oh the horror the horror) where he was our top scorer in our first season with a whopping 9 goals or something. Helped coz he scored two against Chester I think.

I believe it was Adams that started playing him at left back?

So hes sort of back where he started albeit older, heavier and less ginger.

Steve would not know about this, football was not the done thing for him back then.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Uncle Buck said:
Steve would not know about this, football was not the done thing for him back then.

Oh I see.

Sorry UB posted at the same time as you.

Great minds think alike!

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The whole crux of the matter is we are 3rd from bottom in relegation trouble.

The board have to decide whether that is because of the team selection and somewhat bizzare approach to games or despite all of that and then decide is our future most secure in the hands of MM or another.

In short the points total so far are not good enough irresepctive of reasons and excuses which have been banded about on here.

Something has got to happen very quick either results improve or get a new manager.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I'm of the opinion that McGee is a complete nutter (a we were warned by Millwall fans!) and has lost the plot.

As to who should replace him - i don't know, other than to continue to be pissed-off about the way Knight sold Steve Coppell to Reading, and failed to listen to Peter Taylor, forcing him to leave.

Perhapse the rumours about Wisey are related to a management position at the end of this year? Perhapse with Ray's baby brother Dean Wilkinson as number two? ???

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Spot on old boy :clap2:

And if some people want to discuss a change of manager or who should be in and out the team then they are perfectly allowed to do so.

A player should not comment on team selection or tactics in the press when his opinion is in direct conflict with his manager... it doesn't do our club, the manager, or the player himself any good...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
B.W. said:
A player should not comment on team selection or tactics in the press when his opinion is in direct conflict with his manager... it doesn't do our club, the manager, or the player himself any good...

Not the player...us! Thats what this board is for!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:

Is he tho'?... his best games have been at rb, IMHO...

Uncle Buck said:

I'm glad we agree that players are well capable of playing in a variety of positions Bucky. Thank you for conceding that point. I look forward to no more wooden comments from you then about the flexibility of our other players.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
BensGrandad said:
The whole crux of the matter is we are 3rd from bottom in relegation trouble.

The board have to decide whether that is because of the team selection and somewhat bizzare approach to games or despite all of that and then decide is our future most secure in the hands of MM or another.

In short the points total so far are not good enough irresepctive of reasons and excuses which have been banded about on here.

Something has got to happen very quick either results improve or get a new manager.
And we are always going to be in relegation trouble because we have hardly any money to spend. I think McGhee has done a good job. In my opinion he got us up to this division when we weren't really good enough and against the odds kept us there for at least another season. As we are only 1 point into the relegation zone with 18 games still to go we have a good chance of staying up, especially as we should get Hinsh back. The thread someone started earlier regarding players signed since returning to Withdean only served to show that he has a better record in the transfer record than other recent managers. OK he's signed some dodgy ones and those where the jury is still out but most have been a success one way or another.

Adams and Taylor were heralded as good managers but both are still struggling at their current clubs and with more money to play with.

There is also the reality bit - to get rid of McGhee would probably be expensive as well as pointless. And who would we get in? Can't see anyone out there who would do a better job...

B.W. said:
Is he tho'?... his best games have been at rb, IMHO...
It's a mixed picture - he was poor at rightback at Luton but has been very consistent at centre-back. But needs must for us at the moment, and as sooner as fans realise that our current position requires McGhee at times to employ players in a variety of positions, then the happier they'll be as Albion fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here