Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The big problem Chelsea now have following the transfer madness of the past 2 years is that not only did they over pay for players Cucu and Caceido among them, they didnt need ,they were handing out 8 year contracts in an effort to get round FFP (or whatever its called now). A lot of people on NSC and elsewhere said that that would be the big issue when they came to try and move players on, no one would be able to match the 5 or 6 years gauranteed ludicrous weekly wages these players are on, and why would any player give up that kind of money for any reason

The fact that players seemingly want away barely a year after signing indicates what a mess that club is going to be in for years. They have no chance of recouping the buying fees, are saddled with a mahoosive wage bill which surley limits transfer funding, and why on earth would players want to go to Chelsea and vanish into that massive squad of disgruntled players

All of this was blindingly obvious to anyone when they started this madness, now that it is seemingly coming back to bite them, a couple of years earlier than even the most optomistic of us could have wished for is just brilliant- long may it continue

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Absolutely no chance we would take him back on anything like those wages. He would not be first choice and they will have someone better already lined up.

I hope all clubs refuse to engage with helping to dig Chelsea out of the FFP hole.

Colwill for 15 million works for me - desperate seller who has to sell 👌

This. If other clubs buy their players and replicate their contracts it legitimizes their model.

Let them and their players stew in it and find out the meaning of golden handcuffs.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Problem is for them he isn’t the only player on a stupidly long term contract and a massive wage that isn’t performing - their recruitment and contract strategy appears to be coming back to bite them on the arse much quicker than any of us hoped. They’re going to be forced into selling academy products to balance the books, and they won’t be able to spend much more money until they do.

It’s hilarious.
And the other thing that has happened is that a team has actually been done for FFP.

I just wondered if Boehly and all either didn't understand it, or just thought (perhaps understandably) they could ride roughshod over it and pay a trivial fine.

I also wonder if at the very top of the club, they do still intend to understand and meet the requirements. The fact that Poch is talking about needing expensive players suggests maybe not all are on board.

Maybe Boelhy's plan is to deliberately breach FFP, pull out of the PL and UEFA and reheat the Euro superleague with City, Barca and Juve and some also rans they can talk into it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, not IMO.

You are right, the season was over . Cucu wanted a chance to play with a CL side and increase his chances, in his mind, (therefore) of Spanish International football. We have never begrudged that of our players. Cucu’s only ‘crime’ was to do it after he’d been voted POTY by the both the Club and the fans. Sometimes our more entitled fans don’t appreciate that we can’t offer that to players or managers - nor recognise that if we have been particularly brilliant in our recruitment, it will be very hard holding onto a player that absolutely shines beyond expectations in his first season. We should take it as a plus that Big Clubs hold our players and managers in such high esteem.

Both Maupay and Caceido and Sanchez were more disruptive in their method of instigating moves imo.
Eh?

MAUPAY? Cucurella was 100% more disruptive than Maupay. He got a nice little round of applause when his name was announced for Brentford. Cucurella got booed by the whole ground until he was hauled off in tears.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And the other thing that has happened is that a team has actually been done for FFP.

I just wondered if Boehly and all either didn't understand it, or just thought (perhaps understandably) they could ride roughshod over it and pay a trivial fine.

I also wonder if at the very top of the club, they do still intend to understand and meet the requirements. The fact that Poch is talking about needing expensive players suggests maybe not all are on board.

Maybe Boelhy's plan is to deliberately breach FFP, pull out of the PL and UEFA and reheat the Euro superleague with City, Barca and Juve and some also rans they can talk into it.
I think he thought he'd found a smart-arse way round it with exceptionally long contracts and consequent long amortisation periods.......but failed to realise anyone not performing on one of those deals quickly becomes a millstone and strangles any future business they want to do....and now they have several in that situation. Even their own fans are starting to conclude that they're quite possibly fooked now - no way (as far as I can see anyway - maybe some DULLARD can help) they can spend a ton more on new players without selling - and that will either have to be academy products, or players they've massively overpaid for at much lower values because a) they're not worth it on current form and b) all the other clubs know Chelsea are up shit creek without a paddle.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
That TEAMtalk list seems like nonsense- any of Maatsen, Gusto and Madueke would thrive under RDZ. Young players in positions we are short, versatile.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
There's also the lack of incentives to play hard and go the extra mile, when you know you're guaranteed an income for life. It's not necessarily intentional, but some players at Chelsea fit this bracket.

From what I understood at the start of the season, their risky strategy depends on CL qualification this year, else FFP is a real risk.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Watching an entire stadium boo Cucurella before he was hauled off in tears was one of the most enjoyable moments of my footballing life.

If he came back and did well I'm sure I could get behind him again, but as things stand I think we can do better tbh. The blokes a prize ****.
That :laugh:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Eh?

MAUPAY? Cucurella was 100% more disruptive than Maupay. He got a nice little round of applause when his name was announced for Brentford. Cucurella got booed by the whole ground until he was hauled off in tears.
NO! Duh, I meant Trossard - brain fart :facepalm:- I wasn’t referring though to the ‘disruption’ when players returned to play against us - CuCu had already left Brighton by then - I know he got booed by the whole ground and we had the entertaining waterworks - But I don’t recalling him buggering off to Spain (Read for Belgium) during fixture periods or getting into altercations with team mates or publicly castigating the manager, or refusing to be a substitute for away matches (Sanchez). There was no such issues with CuCu AFAIR, until after the transfer window opened and until after he’d received his accolades from the fans/Club, unless I have forgotten something? (Apart from the names of our previous strikers of course 🙂)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
NO! Duh, I meant Trossard - brain fart :facepalm:- I wasn’t referring though to the ‘disruption’ when players returned to play against us - CuCu had already left Brighton by then - I know he got booed by the whole ground and we had the entertaining waterworks - But I don’t recalling him buggering off to Spain (Read for Belgium) during fixture periods or getting into altercations with team mates or publicly castigating the manager, or refusing to be a substitute for away matches (Sanchez). There was no such issues with CuCu AFAIR, until after the transfer window opened and until after he’d received his accolades from the fans/Club, unless I have forgotten something? (Apart from the names of our previous strikers of course 🙂)
Accepting the brain fart, Cucurella either put in a transfer request or was about to, around the time Citeh were under-valuing him.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There's also the lack of incentives to play hard and go the extra mile, when you know you're guaranteed an income for life. It's not necessarily intentional, but some players at Chelsea fit this bracket.

From what I understood at the start of the season, their risky strategy depends on CL qualification this year, else FFP is a real risk.
But they're miles off it. And probably next year as well

They won't be pushovers to anyone. But any sense of trepidation in facing them has long gone. They have a few decent players but there are 8 or 10 clearly better sides.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Accepting the brain fart, Cucurella either put in a transfer request or was about to, around the time Citeh were under-valuing him.
Hindsight suggests they were over valuing him, but yes i'd take the point he was worth more to us at the time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Hindsight suggests they were over valuing him, but yes i'd take the point he was worth more to us at the time.
We'd sold White for £50 mill and, at the time, Cucurella seemed a better player, but was also left sided, a very difficult position to fill.

With hindsight, though, you absolutely have a point.

I have a sneaking suspicion Chelsea also overpaid for Caicedo. Imagine that.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Yes, I remember- and it came across as a purely shallow and money motivated request/desire on his part and bad agent advice I guess, at the time - but he was good enough by that time to be of great interest from Big 6 Clubs and we’ve always said as a Club, we will sell when players want to further their careers/want the opportunity to play international football if the price is right (or in Caicedo and Cucu’s case, more than right). Some bad decision-making maybe (well definitely in retrospect as far as Chelsea is concerned) - I think the real gut punch tbh was that he left after we’d (fans) voted him our POTS and he’d only had one season with us and already was a very important player - we/Potter could cope much better eg losing White than Cucu - it wasn’t until Pervis had been with us, it was obvious we’d got the better player.

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We'd sold White for £50 mill and, at the time, Cucurella seemed a better player, but was also left sided, a very difficult position to fill.

With hindsight, though, you absolutely have a point.

I have a sneaking suspicion Chelsea also overpaid for Caicedo. Imagine that.
Caicedo one is a weird one. I have no doubt he will be one of the best DMs in football. If he isn’t already. But what they’d paid for Enzo, and the fact Rice was up for grabs massively inflated the UK DM market. For him to have gone for more than Grealish, Kane,
Bellingham, Rice etc is crazy.
Looks a steal compared to Antony though. But it’s too much for a DM.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The press are reporting that Chelsea are putting 4 players up for sale having paid a combined £161 million for them. The quartet are as follows:

Cucurella - £175K a week, 5 yrs left on contract
Disasi - £80K a week, 5 1/2 years left on contract
Noni Madueke - £50K a week, 7 yrs left on contract
Malo Gusto - £45K a week, 7 years left on contract.

So on top of the £161 million they paid I make that £102.96 million in contractual wages owed. Now I know the other 3 on the available list - Gallagher, Broja and Chalobah - cost them nothing, but even so, the figures are eye-watering.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here