[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Cucurella thing is just loose rumours as this point but its not impossible City are going to go for him.

If that process starts it will be very difficult to say no. Other than the Kane thing last summer I struggle to think of a club fending them off, it is entirely imaginable that Cucurella wants a 5x pay raise and celebrating a couple of titles each year while probably getting closer to the Spanish NT. If City show up I think it is more likely that Tony will try to find a good deal rather than doing trying to avoid the inevitable. It is not like the club could tell Cucurella that "a bigger and richer club will turn up in year if you just stay", City is one of a few clubs where you cant make that argument.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
FFS people, this is how analogue media has worked for years. Digital/social media has only amplified the noise. If you want an audience and commercial impact you NEED stories. #team(s)like Brighton is now newsworthy because the toxic 6 (and those who report on them) have now turned their lazy gaze to us and some of our excellent players. It will be a very long summer of plenty of smoke billowing from fires being lit nowhere near the south coast.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The fees quoted of £35-45m for Cucurella tell you enough to know that this is click-bait bollocks from both professional and amateur rumour mongers. A club that holds out for 50m for Ben White, who was very good but no where near as important, isn't going to let its unanimous PoTS go for less, particularly when every team in the PL would be interested if he were available.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Marc Cucurella *SINGS on a five-year contract*

PS Gerard Romero who did the interview with Cucurella about Man City - did another one with him a few months ago where he effectively said the same thing about Barcelona -

https://youtu.be/4PznTVE1mKw

PPS a couple of Spanish speakers on Twitter have said a few nuances have been lost in the translation of the widely reported “you can’t say no to Pep” interview. Well fancy that.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The fees quoted of £35-45m for Cucurella tell you enough to know that this is click-bait bollocks from both professional and amateur rumour mongers. A club that holds out for 50m for Ben White, who was very good but no where near as important, isn't going to let its unanimous PoTS go for less, particularly when every team in the PL would be interested if he were available.

And the bloke has a multi-million pound 5 year contract (4-left) in his filing cabinet.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as great as Cucurella is, £45m is fantasy and says all we need to know about the credibility of these rumours.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
This is just a very safe made up bet. The media know Man City want a left back. The best in the country bar perhaps Robertson is Cucu. He’d want to leave if an offer came in you’d imagine, and City can afford him. But I can’t see a whole lot of actual evidence in anything written so far.
Being pragmatic about it though, with our recruitment, if we can spend the bulk of the summer with another 100 million in the kitty but without Biss and Cucu (as gutting as it’ll be see them leave) you’d be confident we’d still have a very decent squad come the beginning of next season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This.

With more money in certain clubs than when White was sold. Behind Closed Doors is firmly behind them and a huge new UEFA deal for the CL clubs has been agreed.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
At least the rumoured amount we'd want for him is going up... it was £30m last week and now £45m. £100m by the end of June?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
This is just a very safe made up bet. The media know Man City want a left back. The best in the country bar perhaps Robertson is Cucu. He’d want to leave if an offer came in you’d imagine, and City can afford him. But I can’t see a whole lot of actual evidence in anything written so far.
Being pragmatic about it though, with our recruitment, if we can spend the bulk of the summer with another 100 million in the kitty but without Biss and Cucu (as gutting as it’ll be see them leave) you’d be confident we’d still have a very decent squad come the beginning of next season.

With our recruitment we find all manner of players - many being developmental punts. Cucurella was bought to address a long-standing issue at left back and is, to quote the bungle****, Oven-Ready. We have broken, only once, the top-10 barrier. If you're going to maintain and meet the oft-quoted "established top-10" objective - then you just don't sell players like Cucurella, especially after the ONE season he's just had. That's not our model.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

As you suggest, if they're going to make up transfer stories, please use 2022 prices. The stories look more realistic.

When we played our first ever game in the EPL against Manchester City in August 2017, they had famously just spent more on two full backs than we had on building our stadium: Kyle Walker £47.43 million & Benjamin Mendy £51.75 million. In 2019 they added Joao Cancelo for another £58.50 million. With Cucu's age, the length left on his contract, and no need to sell, I wouldn't have thought Tony would bother coming to the phone unless the bidding was starting at £60 million. I'm not saying that Cucu is worth that, but we live in a crazy world and I never thought Trevor Francis was worth it either.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As you suggest, if they're going to make up transfer stories, please use 2022 prices. The stories look more realistic.

When we played our first ever game in the EPL against Manchester City in August 2017, they had famously just spent more on two full backs than we had on building our stadium: Kyle Walker £47.43 million & Benjamin Mendy £51.75 million. In 2019 they added Joao Cancelo for another £58.50 million. With Cucu's age, the length left on his contract, and no need to sell, I wouldn't have thought Tony would bother coming to the phone unless the bidding was starting at £60 million. I'm not saying that Cucu is worth that, but we live in a crazy world and I never thought Trevor Francis was worth it either.

Yep, I said exactly this either here or on another thread about it.

The bidding STARTS at 60, it doesn't end there. We have a left footed, Barca trained, player of the season with four years on his contract and a reputation greater than Steve Bruce's beer belly and we have no ready made replacement. That's WAY more valuable than Ben White.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yep, I said exactly this either here or on another thread about it.

The bidding STARTS at 60, it doesn't end there. We have a left footed, Barca trained, player of the season with four years on his contract and a reputation greater than Steve Bruce's beer belly and we have no ready made replacement. That's WAY more valuable than Ben White.

Indeed.

From the outside people can speculate his market value but his value TO US (seeing as he is quite unique in the squad) his value is an absolute minimum of £60m as you describe, it’s probably quite a bit more. I can’t see us replacing him like-for-like in a hurry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports