Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Desperately disappointing that we managed to unearth an absolutely stellar player that is hugely responsible for driving the side forward - only to (probably) flip him 9 months into a 5 year contract. Naive or what on the team progression front?

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Must say it seems a little counter productive if we let our best players go after just one season, if all is as it seems.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think I'll wait to get proper confirmation before disposing of my Cucurella wig. Been a lot of false claims already. It may well happen but I'm not going to rely on some info from a spotty teenager.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Desperately disappointing that we managed to unearth an absolutely stellar player that is hugely responsible for driving the side forward - only to (probably) flip him 9 months into a 5 year contract. Naive or what on the team progression front?

What's naïve about it?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I keep seeing the term ‘letting him go’ but really that’s not what we are doing, we are a mid table club with aspirations at being top 8 or so, doesn’t matter if a player has been here a year or 5 years, when the best team in England come calling for a player, managed by one of the said players heroes, it’s going to be near impossible to keep the player here, one thing Graham potter has done exceptionally since he’s been here is keep the dressing room harmonious, if Cucurella wants to go and the club is making a massive profit, that’s a better option than keeping an unhappy player and destabilising the whole dressing room.

Player power in this day and age is massive, it’s sad but true, a longer contract just gives a club slightly more power, but when a team with City’s wallet and pull come in, forcing someone to stay is probably not the right option.

I will be absolutely gutted to see Marc go, probably the most gutted in the Amex era about a player leaving but I also understand why he would want to go, he’s not a Brighton fan like we are, he doesn’t have that personal affiliation that clouds our views of a transfer.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I keep seeing the term ‘letting him go’ but really that’s not what we are doing, we are a mid table club with aspirations at being top 8 or so, doesn’t matter if a player has been here a year or 5 years, when the best team in England come calling for a player, managed by one of the said players heroes, it’s going to be near impossible to keep the player here, one thing Graham potter has done exceptionally since he’s been here is keep the dressing room harmonious, if Cucurella wants to go and the club is making a massive profit, that’s a better option than keeping an unhappy player and destabilising the whole dressing room.

Player power in this day and age is massive, it’s sad but true, a longer contract just gives a club slightly more power, but when a team with City’s wallet and pull come in, forcing someone to stay is probably not the right option.

I will be absolutely gutted to see Marc go, probably the most gutted in the Amex era about a player leaving but I also understand why he would want to go, he’s not a Brighton fan like we are, he doesn’t have that personal affiliation that clouds our views of a transfer.

with bells on.....he will go but only when the deal is right for us.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If this is true, it would be disappointing. We can mostly agree the sale of Biss had to happen, the finances were good for the situation but there's no need to sell Cucu.

Nowt you can do when a state run club come flashing the cash, we or 99.9% of teams cannot fend off that power.

The whole system needs a shake up or salary cap, then and only then can we all compete on a levelish playing field

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Because it doesn't allow the side to build, it just inevitably sets the side back a step or two. There's NO way we're just going to swap Cucurella out and just do a like-for-like replacement. Will probably cost us a number of league places next season

I understand that, but why is making a 30+ million profit on a player naïve? Surely that profit is exactly what we need to continue to build the squad / team?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I understand that, but why is making a 30+ million profit on a player naïve? Surely that profit is exactly what we need to continue to build the squad / team?

It's a valid sentiment for sure. But is there a CucurellaPlus player waiting to just be slotted into the side like it was Fantasy Football and then we just carry on where we left off? I'd be gobsmacked if that player existed

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It would be naive to think that we can keep any player that a club that are PL Champions, owned by a state with bottomless pockets wants, and is willing to pay an obscene amount of money for, if he wants to go. There are maybe two clubs in England who could match the wages and standard of football that City can offer and we are not one of them.

Gutted but philosophical if it happens

el punal

I’d keep your powder dry for a while. It seems that it’s rumours, counter rumours, twatter crap, the word from the bloke down the pub and anyone else that wants to put their five eggs in. Let’s wait and see what the club do before criticising them. Anyway, I have it on good authority that Michael Owen is at the Grand as we speak . . . . . :drink:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
If this is true, it would be disappointing. We can mostly agree the sale of Biss had to happen, the finances were good for the situation but there's no need to sell Cucu.

I would argue there is. Makes it a lot easier to buy hot prospects going forward when they know we release players for big fees to big clubs if they do really well. We won't keep getting players on 4-5 year deals if they know we will keep them to that however well they do.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's a valid sentiment for sure. But is there a CucurellaPlus player waiting to just be slotted into the side like it was Fantasy Football and then we just carry on where we left off? I'd be gobsmacked if that player existed

Our recruitment model is designed for this to happen, but you are right, someone of Cucurella's ability is hard to replace, like for like. But this money funds the next Caicedo, Bissouma or Lamptey maybe?

Without Cucurella our attacking style / patterns might need a tweak, perhaps focus on the other flank and start with Lamptey?

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It would be naive to think that we can keep any player that a club that are PL Champions, owned by a state with bottomless pockets wants, and is willing to pay an obscene amount of money for, if he wants to go. There are maybe two clubs in England who could match the wages and standard of football that City can offer and we are not one of them.

Gutted but philosophical if it happens

Modern day football . All that is wrong with football nowadays. Sometimes i wish the super league had happened aslong as they can only buy players from super league clubs and they can not represent their country.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Our recruitment model is designed for this to happen, but you are right, someone of Cucurella's ability is hard to replace, like for like. But this money funds the next Caicedo, Bissouma or Lamptey maybe?

Without Cucurella our attacking style / patterns might need a tweak, perhaps focus on the other flank and start with Lamptey?

Was thinking along similar lines meself :thumbsup:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Fabrizio Romano who seems to be held in some esteem with breaking news said 'set to submit first bid, and ready to proceed in next few days...' On the 16th June..

So, if he cant get it right, i'm not buying all the others..!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s really indicative of modern day football isn’t it?

Trouble is I don’t know how I could form an argument against it, say you were the player playing for Getafe in Spain for one season, if after one season Barcelona came in for you and offered you triple your wages, a chance to play under your hero and for the best club in the country, could I say that if I were Marc I wouldn’t want to leave as well?

It’s easy to be clouded by the fact we love the club, he can kiss the badge and say he loves the fans all he wants, football is a fickle game.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
****ing 300 pages. It’s ALL made up bollocks. Cucurella might be sold one day. But one thing’s for sure - no ITK will have any scoop on it. It’s just not the way our club works.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here