Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
United were right on their game today and were much better than us. Its a pity Pogba wasn't fit as he is always picked when fit and substantially weakens their midfield. Without him, they are a class act.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes but as EVERY pundit and man u fan will tell you. All you have to do Vs man u is sit back and be compact and try and hit them on break or from set pieces.

Leicester and Chelsea have attempted to attack them at OT and have got beat. We have done similar and got pounded today. 6-1 wouldn't have been harsh.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Nah.

Could "sitting back" and waiting for set pieces be better today? Possibly.

But doing that also show you are full of shit. If you want to play better football, to improve and grow as a club, team and individually, you cant compromise today. If you go in to games - every game - with the attitude "we can win this", then you have a chance at beating any team. If you start questioning this mentality, asking "can we win this?", things can easily go down the drain if you pick up a few bad results.

I expect Brighton to take ~0 points against the "traditional" top sides this year. Its the cost of transitioning from being a surviving club to being a climbing one. Changing your mentality from "play dead" to "fight" means you will frequently get beat severly by individually stronger teams.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
United were right on their game today and were much better than us. Its a pity Pogba wasn't fit as he is always picked when fit and substantially weakens their midfield. Without him, they are a class act.

What on Earth are you talking about? He’s in the PL team of the season and widely regarded as one of the finest midfielders in the world. Surely that doesn’t weaken their team?!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was banned so had no choice. It is typical Palace though-never see them for weeks until they sneak a win or we lose then they stink this place out for a few days.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Evening squire.

I am 99% sure he's not Palace. And he's entitled to his opinions. However, repeatedly sharing one opinion can be quite exhausting for the rest of us.....

I think only a fule would say we aren't better this season and far more likely to avoid a crushing run of silly arse defeats, including a 0-5 at home to a team who couldn't buy a win at the time, and thereby shove our head towards the relegation noose.

Time (and motion) will of course tell :thumbsup:.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nah.

But doing that also show you are full of shit. If you want to play better football, to improve and grow as a club, team and individually, you cant compromise today. If you go in to games - every game - with the attitude "we can win this", then you have a chance at beating any team. If you start questioning this mentality, asking "can we win this?", things can easily go down the drain if you pick up a few bad results.

I expect Brighton to take ~0 points against the "traditional" top sides this year. Its the cost of transitioning from being a surviving club to being a climbing one. Changing your mentality from "play dead" to "fight" means you will frequently get beat severly by individually stronger teams.

100% correct. Today was almost a training game for us. If GPot made any mistake today it was letting slip that this was not a shit or bust win game. But I doubt that he did.

The way we passed the ball around on occasions was a pleasure to behold. A sharper and fitter Leo would have been useful. Also, as others have mentioned, Bissouma....

Anyway, onwards and upwards :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm just talking about our approach to top 6 games.

Funnily enough mourinho was talking about the same thing on super Sunday. Chelsea have also started poorly against the best teams this season. Similar to potter , lampard has tried to play the same attacking formations against the better teams. Him and potter will learn from experience that pragmatism that is required against the best.

Depends what you mean by top six. If you include Spurs in that as per last few seasons that approach won us the game 3-0. Compare that to the turgid 1-0 death by strangulation up there under CH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Nah.

So we lost to Spurs ?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
100% correct. Today was almost a training game for us. If GPot made any mistake today it was letting slip that this was not a shit or bust win game. But I doubt that he did.

The way we passed the ball around on occasions was a pleasure to behold. A sharper and fitter Leo would have been useful. Also, as others have mentioned, Bissouma....

Anyway, onwards and upwards :thumbsup:

What has happened to Bissouma!?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm just talking about our approach to top 6 games.

Funnily enough mourinho was talking about the same thing on super Sunday. Chelsea have also started poorly against the best teams this season. Similar to potter , lampard has tried to play the same attacking formations against the better teams. Him and potter will learn from experience that pragmatism that is required against the best.

I love the way you talk down to our manager and Frank Lampard's Chelsea's Frank Lampard :shrug: :lolol:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
We did have one beautiful bit of play in the second half before dunks goal, we played some lovely one touch crisp passing from Ryan all the way for a chance for Maupay (who wasn’t ready).

We shouldn’t be too down on ourselves here. In fact i think some are way too impressed by Man U today. First goal was ludicrously lucky. Second could and probably should have been disallowed by Var. and if Maupay or Duffy take their chances we’ve scored 3 goals at Old Trafford.

Don’t get me wrong, we can play much better.. but as CH rightly said, football games can be very fine margins sometimes.

And look at us sitting comfortably mid-table. Plenty to be proud of.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Nah.

I said pre-match to be more cautious at the start with four at the back. I envisaged us to come out of shell later on, which meant the experienced players to start and the more exciting youngsters to rescue the game.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I said pre-match to be more cautious at the start with four at the back. I envisaged us to come out of shell later on, which meant the experienced players to start and the more exciting youngsters to rescue the game.

Will you ever get over the fact your little ruse to try and get the Amex built near you failed so badly ?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Thought we were poor today. Was bound to happen sooner or later. Nothing seemed to go right. The passes backwards started to irritate a bit... then again, United had to play the best they have done all season in order to win

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Precisely.

We've been here far too many times before, during this current Premier League incarnation.

Arriving at a 'top 6' ground, in good form.
Potentially even the better form of both sides.

Only to be rather humbled through tactics or ruthlessness.

I fear that's coming today, which personally probably isn't a bad thing.
After our 3rd consecutive home win if I thought we'd school Utd today I'd be a hyperventilating mess by now and would probably end up missing the game. :lol:

Some people called it correctly, I see ...

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
There's a reason their players are paid the fortunes they're paid.
There's a reason ours aren't paid as much.

Footballing ability, physical strength and fitness, speed, mental agility, grit and determination, character.
Some of ours lack some of the necessary attributes.

Surely the possibility of a loss to their squad isn't something we should be surprised about.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
What on Earth are you talking about? He’s in the PL team of the season and widely regarded as one of the finest midfielders in the world. Surely that doesn’t weaken their team?!

Its a case of emperors new clothes with Pogba. None of the pundits or commentators are brave enough to say what they actually see with him. Most of the time he loses the ball. Then he completes one ordinary pass and the commentators are wetting themselves about his class. Its completely bizarre - none of them can see past his 80M price tag. If he'd have been bought for 5M he'd be seen for what he is - a very ordinary premier league level midfielder who would struggle to get a place in the United team. They are far stronger with the midfield they had yesterday.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Its a case of emperors new clothes with Pogba. None of the pundits or commentators are brave enough to say what they actually see with him. Most of the time he loses the ball. Then he completes one ordinary pass and the commentators are wetting themselves about his class. Its completely bizarre - none of them can see past his 80M price tag. If he'd have been bought for 5M he'd be seen for what he is - a very ordinary premier league level midfielder who would struggle to get a place in the United team. They are far stronger with the midfield they had yesterday.

Or maybe fans have grown accustomed to criticising him beyond what’s reasonable? He has under formed at times. Maybe he’s not fulfilled his potential (still time). Still a fine player who as I said is recognised by writers, peers etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here