Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Very poor today. No spirit, didn't look up for it.

No pressure on the referee, we just looked happy to be there and going through the motions.

An example: If we were a team who really wanted to fight, they'd be surrounding the ref for the red card call at 2-0.

Still, didn't expect anything but thought that was weak today. At least thought we'd put up a fight.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Very poor today. No spirit, didn't look up for it.

No pressure on the referee, we just looked happy to be there and going through the motions.

An example: If we were a team who really wanted to fight, they'd be surrounding the ref for the red card call at 2-0.

Still, didn't expect anything but thought that was weak today. At least thought we'd put up a fight.

Agree about spirit. Body language was wrong today. After back to back wins you would have expected more of a fight.

Maybe it's a confidence thing away from home playing the big 6 ? Our last goal from open play away from home is Watford on the opening day.

Really poor stat that.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Interested to know why you think calling someone "she" should be considered an insult? And you're definitely trying to insult them.

i wondered about that, but Spence's avatar is a female, so... I don't know

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The guy from Cold Feet is going through the script on the train home next to me

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I love that there a few supposedly long term Brighton fans losing their shit over an away defeat to Man United. Tony must be doing something right....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Agree about spirit. Body language was wrong today. After back to back wins you would have expected more of a fight.

Maybe it's a confidence thing away from home playing the big 6 ? Our last goal from open play away from home is Watford on the opening day.

Really poor stat that.

There was much more spirit when FFS Murray and March came on. They weren't starstruck.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
i wondered about that, but Spence's avatar is a female, so... I don't know

Spence’s oddball choice of avatar is a poster girl for a band of women who fought against ISIS. She was killed in combat and I dare say, had she not been a looker, he would have instead gone for a picture of Dougie Freedman or The Crystals cheerleading squad.

boik

Spence’s oddball choice of avatar is a poster girl for a band of women who fought against ISIS. She was killed in combat and I dare say, had she not been a looker, he would have instead gone for a picture of Dougie Freedman or The Crystals cheerleading squad.

Judging by the fact that s few people have said that they know "him" I think it's fair to say he's not a she. Too many people ready to use "girl" as an insult.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Blimey. I assumed it was either spence ( if a she ) or his girlfriend.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Not a dirty game and yet we ended up with 5 yellow cards.

I think the ref. made it abundantly clear in the first 20 minutes that we were not going to be able to play the game on a level playing field.
It's very hard to press your opponents if you receive a yellow card every time you get close to the player with the ball.
Were all yellow cards deserved?
Yes. Probably. But it set the tone for the game early, and our players became wary of pressing hard for the ball... especially those who had received a card.
After 20 minutes the game looked over as a contest because of this.
Conversely, the United players appeared to be given carte blanche to press heavily, and push our players over.

It's all very well pointing the finger at our players for "having an off day", but if the laws of the game are different depending on the colour of your shirt, then it's hard to be competitive.

Our passing did seem to be awry today, but most of the misplaced passes were made under the kind of pressure that we were not being allowed to apply.
Even when players had time, it looked like the passing was rushed because they were anticipating being clattered from behind again. (Pröpper)
TLDR: For me, the ref. ruined it through uneven judging of the players.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I suspect nerves of playing on such a stage were a contributory factor.

I would have thought, given the staggering amounts of money these guys earn, and the amazing medical and psychologicalout help presumably available out at at Lancing, that this would not be an issue. These aren't schoolboys bu highly paid professional football players. In his book Dick Knight talked about preparation for penalty taking at one of the play off finals whilst he was chairman. the then manager enlisted such advice and the players were properly prepared for the final. Surely the same applies to this afternoon's inept display?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
This sums up how I feel perfectly. We played perfectly into united’s Strengths. I watched their Europa league game in midweek and it was mirror image. Potter needs to learn that you need to be more compact away from home at big clubs otherwise it can go badly wrong.

I hope GP learns from this when we go to Liverpool at the end of the month - we need 3 centre backs to take care of their front 3 and wing backs to stop their full backs creating the supply.

DavePage

Yep - agree with this.

Just back from the game and there’s no doubt in my mind Potter played the wrong team today.

United’s strikers are lightning quick and our back three just couldn’t handle them. It was Burn’s foul on James which led to the 2nd goal and I’m amazed he wasn’t replaced at half time. Not convinced starting with Trossard was a good idea either, he got nowhere and Gross’s creativity may have been a better bet.

Having said all of that, I don’t think we played that badly and sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say we were beaten by the better side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As he said in this weeks press conference, he is leaning also.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Not a dirty game and yet we ended up with 5 yellow cards.

I think the ref. made it abundantly clear in the first 20 minutes that we were not going to be able to play the game on a level playing field.
It's very hard to press your opponents if you receive a yellow card every time you get close to the player with the ball.
Were all yellow cards deserved?
Yes. Probably. But it set the tone for the game early, and our players became wary of pressing hard for the ball... especially those who had received a card.
After 20 minutes the game looked over as a contest because of this.
Conversely, the United players appeared to be given carte blanche to press heavily, and push our players over.

It's all very well pointing the finger at our players for "having an off day", but if the laws of the game are different depending on the colour of your shirt, then it's hard to be competitive.

Our passing did seem to be awry today, but most of the misplaced passes were made under the kind of pressure that we were not being allowed to apply.
Even when players had time, it looked like the passing was rushed because they were anticipating being clattered from behind again. (Pröpper)
TLDR: For me, the ref. ruined it through uneven judging of the players.

Nonsense.

We were beaten by the better team.

Just accept it and stop blaming the ref.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here