Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Managers Who Make The Wrong Move.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Lawrie Sanchez. Transformed Northern Ireland, took them to the top of their Euro 2008 group. Jack Charlton-esque glory, footballing immortality, the unending adoration of a million people beckoned. But. He left in the middle of their qualification to manage Fulham in May 2007, was sacked in December. NI didn't qualify.

Managed at club level for two other single seasons, got relegated both times.

Good. What a bas*ard.
Managing international teams from smaller countries is very difficult - the players tend to come in waves - and when the wave dissipates you are stuck with a floundering team. Sanchez had taken NI as far as he could - same as Michael O'Neill when he left the first time - the wave was dissipating.

Same with Charlton - he stayed for one qualification campaign too long. When he was appointed a whole wave of good players were coming into the Irish team - when he resigned the team was losing Denis Irwin, Ronnie Whelan, Paul McGrath, John Aldridge, Andy Townsend, John Sheridan. Nothing was coming in to replace them and Charlton made no effort to try and bring new players into the team.

The key for smaller countries who have limited resources is to recognise when there is a batch of new quality players coming on stream and have the right manager in place to take advantage. At the moment NI don't have any indication of a new wave of players - and that is why O'Neill is struggling (he had to bring a 35 year old Kyle Lafferty back into the squad). However, the Republic have a lot of good young players coming through (with Ferguson topping the list) - the problem is that we are stuck with an idiot run of the mill LOI manager at the helm and the wave could dissipate before Ireland takes advantage. Hopefully Kenny will be sacked in the autumn and if he is I wouldn't mind seeing Lee Carsley getting the job.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Gerrard to Villa
Potter to Chelsea
Conte to Spurs
Frank de Boer to Palarse

We’re talking about bad career moves.

But invariably these characters made millions on the back of it.
Worst ever start to a PL campaign, no? Seven games, seven defeats and zero goals as I remember.

Special mention for Mourinho and Conte going to Spurs. Not completely disastrous in terms of results, but both left with not many good things to say about the club.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Managing international teams from smaller countries is very difficult - the players tend to come in waves - and when the wave dissipates you are stuck with a floundering team. Sanchez had taken NI as far as he could - same as Michael O'Neill when he left the first time - the wave was dissipating.

Same with Charlton - he stayed for one qualification campaign too long. When he was appointed a whole wave of good players were coming into the Irish team - when he resigned the team was losing Denis Irwin, Ronnie Whelan, Paul McGrath, John Aldridge, Andy Townsend, John Sheridan. Nothing was coming in to replace them and Charlton made no effort to try and bring new players into the team.

The key for smaller countries who have limited resources is to recognise when there is a batch of new quality players coming on stream and have the right manager in place to take advantage. At the moment NI don't have any indication of a new wave of players - and that is why O'Neill is struggling (he had to bring a 35 year old Kyle Lafferty back into the squad). However, the Republic have a lot of good young players coming through (with Ferguson topping the list) - the problem is that we are stuck with an idiot run of the mill LOI manager at the helm and the wave could dissipate before Ireland takes advantage. Hopefully Kenny will be sacked in the autumn and if he is I wouldn't mind seeing Lee Carsley getting the job.
I bow to your knowledge.

I posted this as him leaving annoyed me then, and annoys me still. But, genuinely, a question - and I get what you're saying about small international management - I think NI had three or four matches left, when he left: in those 5 or so months, was there really so much of a changing of the guard that he felt he'd taken them as far as he could?

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I forgot about David Burke as DOF. What an awful appointment that was. I remember lots of whisperings at the time about how unpopular he was. I also met him on the train back from Forest once with Bloom. He was pretty dour (unlike Tony who was necking cans of cider all the way back). I just looked him up to see what he is doing now- he is still a Director of Football. At a school.
Some of his signings really were SHIT. Toko what on Earth was that about, David Rodriguez, Colunga, even McCourt was a rogue shout.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Some of his signings really were SHIT. Toko what on Earth was that about, David Rodriguez, Colunga, even McCourt was a rogue shout.
That really was a strange season under Hyypia, just about the only time in Tony's reign when things didn't go to plan.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Mike Walker, Norwich to Everton. I've posted on here before about the similarities between Brighton/Potter and Norwich/Walker (with Walker doing better than Potter as he got Norwich into Europe where they outplayed Bayern Munich).

Without googling I believe he was Everton's briefest-ever managerial appointment. Once sacked by Everton he was never heard of again.
Really nice bloke, he coached me for a spell (ahem..about 40 years ago, he used to help Ipswich out whilst he was at Colchester).

Very kind, was sorry Everton didn’t work out

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Lawrie Sanchez. Transformed Northern Ireland, took them to the top of their Euro 2008 group. Jack Charlton-esque glory, footballing immortality, the unending adoration of a million people beckoned. But. He left in the middle of their qualification to manage Fulham in May 2007, was sacked in December. NI didn't qualify.

Managed at club level for two other single seasons, got relegated both times.

Good. What a bas*ard.
Chris Coleman did something similar - left Wales after guiding them to the Euros and joined Sunderland .

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Paolo Di Canio to Sunderland. Confirmation if even needed, he was unhinged and batshit crazy thus insuring he was unemployable as a manager ever again. Got away with his antics at Swindon due to being the big fish in the small pond and getting them promoted. Got found out amongst Premier League players who wouldn't tolerate his alternative man management skills.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Lawrie Mcmenemy when he left saints for sunderland. Got them relegated. Dont think he had another league club (assistant and england to Taylor and then northern ireland)

Like the Titanic, neither of them should have left southampton

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Chris Coleman to Sunderland? They were in disarray at the time, and since his management career has taken in a spell in China and Greece.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I bow to your knowledge.

I posted this as him leaving annoyed me then, and annoys me still. But, genuinely, a question - and I get what you're saying about small international management - I think NI had three or four matches left, when he left: in those 5 or so months, was there really so much of a changing of the guard that he felt he'd taken them as far as he could?
There is a bit of mis-informed hype around the NI team under Sanchez. The first year and a half that he was manager they won 3 games from 15 - all friendlies - against Estonia, St. Kitts & Nevis and Trinidad & Tobago. Six games into the WC qualifying group they had 3 points. Then in Sept 2005 they had a big 1-0 win against England in Belfast.

This created huge hype in the North and significantly raised expectations - yet in the next 7 games they won 2 friendlies - against Estonia and Finland. In Sept 2006 NI lost 0-3 at home to Iceland and the crowd were out for the head of Sanchez with the team booed off the pitch. Then four days later they beat Spain 3-2 in Belfast in a major shock. Spain completely dominated the game - went one up - bungled the back at the back to allow David Healy to deflect the ball into the net -Spain went back in front only for to give a back goal away from a free kick. Spain went up to the other end, hit the post - and when Maik Taylor (NI goalkeeper - at Birmingham at the time) booted the ball the full length of the pitch it bounced over Salgado, Casillas was off his line - David Healy ran onto the ball and lobbed it into the empty net. Taking nothing away from the North - but they won because of three bad mistakes by the Spanish defence while their goal was peppered by the Spanish who spent most of the game camped in the NI half.

Sanchez told the NI bosses after the game that he was resigning (from his perspective - going out on a high after the disaster days earlier to Iceland). He stayed and the NI team went on a bit of a spree (again - something that can happen at international level) - draw with Denmark - beat Latvia - beat Lichtenstein - then Sweden in Belfast, a game where the Swedes allowed the North to kick lumps out of them and in a game where there were few chances, they managed to let in two goals. The North were top of the group - and pretty much all thanks to David Healy who had scored 9 of the 10 goals that the North had scored in 5 games. Here was the problem for the North - they still had six more games - the last three against Sweden away - Denmark home - Spain away.

The NI team was made up largely of bit-part players in Championship teams (David Healy scored ten goals for a Leeds team that was relegated to L1). The prospect of being able to maintain the momentum of the six months from the Spain win to the Sweden win was unlikely - and the wheels came off 3 losses in six games (to Latvia, Iceland and Spain) and the North ended up third in the group - 6 pts behind second place Sweden.

In the meantime Chris Coleman was sacked at Fulham and while still NI manager Sanchez took over as caretaker - when he was offered the job permanently he snatched it up. He claimed he would have got the North to the Euros - but it was inevitable that the form teams would return to the top of the pack - Spain won 6 of their last 7 games and Sweden won 4 and drew 2 of their last 6.

Both the North's and the Republic's teams tend to perform above the sum of their parts - but it has been a long time (1982 world cup) since the North's team has come anywhere near being of the same standard (player-wise) as the Republic. In my opinion Michael O'Neill did a significantly better job, with arguably poorer resources, while NI manager (the first time) than Sanchez.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
There is a bit of mis-informed hype around the NI team under Sanchez. The first year and a half that he was manager they won 3 games from 15 - all friendlies - against Estonia, St. Kitts & Nevis and Trinidad & Tobago. Six games into the WC qualifying group they had 3 points. Then in Sept 2005 they had a big 1-0 win against England in Belfast.

This created huge hype in the North and significantly raised expectations - yet in the next 7 games they won 2 friendlies - against Estonia and Finland. In Sept 2006 NI lost 0-3 at home to Iceland and the crowd were out for the head of Sanchez with the team booed off the pitch. Then four days later they beat Spain 3-2 in Belfast in a major shock. Spain completely dominated the game - went one up - bungled the back at the back to allow David Healy to deflect the ball into the net -Spain went back in front only for to give a back goal away from a free kick. Spain went up to the other end, hit the post - and when Maik Taylor (NI goalkeeper - at Birmingham at the time) booted the ball the full length of the pitch it bounced over Salgado, Casillas was off his line - David Healy ran onto the ball and lobbed it into the empty net. Taking nothing away from the North - but they won because of three bad mistakes by the Spanish defence while their goal was peppered by the Spanish who spent most of the game camped in the NI half.

Sanchez told the NI bosses after the game that he was resigning (from his perspective - going out on a high after the disaster days earlier to Iceland). He stayed and the NI team went on a bit of a spree (again - something that can happen at international level) - draw with Denmark - beat Latvia - beat Lichtenstein - then Sweden in Belfast, a game where the Swedes allowed the North to kick lumps out of them and in a game where there were few chances, they managed to let in two goals. The North were top of the group - and pretty much all thanks to David Healy who had scored 9 of the 10 goals that the North had scored in 5 games. Here was the problem for the North - they still had six more games - the last three against Sweden away - Denmark home - Spain away.

The NI team was made up largely of bit-part players in Championship teams (David Healy scored ten goals for a Leeds team that was relegated to L1). The prospect of being able to maintain the momentum of the six months from the Spain win to the Sweden win was unlikely - and the wheels came off 3 losses in six games (to Latvia, Iceland and Spain) and the North ended up third in the group - 6 pts behind second place Sweden.

In the meantime Chris Coleman was sacked at Fulham and while still NI manager Sanchez took over as caretaker - when he was offered the job permanently he snatched it up. He claimed he would have got the North to the Euros - but it was inevitable that the form teams would return to the top of the pack - Spain won 6 of their last 7 games and Sweden won 4 and drew 2 of their last 6.

Both the North's and the Republic's teams tend to perform above the sum of their parts - but it has been a long time (1982 world cup) since the North's team has come anywhere near being of the same standard (player-wise) as the Republic. In my opinion Michael O'Neill did a significantly better job, with arguably poorer resources, while NI manager (the first time) than Sanchez.
Superb. Thank you. (y)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tony Adams taking the Portsmouth job has to be right up there. He took over from Harry Redknapp in 2009, managed 10 points from 16 games and was sacked. His next job was a mediocre 18 months at Gabala FC of the Azerbaijan Premier League, then ended with a brief stint at La Liga side Granada - played 7, lost 7 and relegated, never to manage again.

Last edited:

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Gary Neville going to Valencia?

Rémi Garde taking charge at Villa. He did well at Lyon, but that Villa move derailed his managerial career.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Tony Adams taking the Portsmouth job has to be right up there. He took over from Harry Redknapp in 2009, managed 10 points from 16 games and was sacked. His next job was a mediocre 18 months at Gabala FC of the Azerbaijan Premier League, then ended with a brief stint at La Liga side Granada - played 7, lost 7 and relegated, never to manage again.
I remember Adams bringing his Wycombe side to the Withdean. They were duly beaten 4-0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here