Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Managers Who Make The Wrong Move.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Neither Lampard nor Gerrard did anything to warrant being given a managerial job apart from being high profile English players - and their appointments had disaster written all over it.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
That was Brighton's wrong move!
Really? Clough coming to Brighton was the start of the upturn that continued with Taylor building a team that nearly took us to the top tier for the first time leaving Mullery to finish the job. Without Clough, there would have been no Taylor, no Peter Ward, Brian Horton and more..

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
The key to Brian Clough's success at Forest was down to getting Peter Taylor to be his assistant again.

Great story about Clough's man-management in dealing with Roy Keane. When Clough signed Keane he paid Cobh Ramblers £15,000. The Cobh Chairman told Clough he would have taken £10,000 - Clough replied that he would have paid half a million. When Keane joined Forest he was repeatedly homesick and Clough used to allow him go back to Cork for a few days break - eventually Keane settled. Keane then played in an U-21 tournament in Holland. Forest were playing Liverpool at Anfield for the first game of the season. Clough called Keane into his office and told him he was taking him to Anfield to help out with the kit - he told him to bring his boots so that he could do the warm-up with the team. Keane was thrilled and ran off to pack his boots. 15 mins before the game Clough handed Keane a jersey and told him he was playing. Keane said that he was so shocked he didn't have time to get nervous. He walked out on the pitch and stood beside Stuart Pearce who turned to Keane and said 'who the f*ck are you' - 'I'm Roy Keane'.
Great story.
If you haven't already seen them, Mark Crossley tells some hilarious tales about his time with Clough. Quite a few on YouTube.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Frank O'Farrell had the potential to be a top manager - and was sold a pig in a poke by Man Utd. Busby wouldn't vacate the manager's office and whenever there was a problem the players promptly went to Busby who invariably over-ruled O'Farrell. Bobby Charlton was Busby's stooge in the dressing-room. DEspite all that O'Farrell had Utd top of the League at Christmas. Then George Best began acting up and O'Farrell set out to deal with the problem, but Busby again stuck his tuppence worth in and it resulted in Best going completely off the rails.

O'Farrell signed a five-year contract with Utd - but when they sacked him they refused to honour the contract and he had to sue them for unpaid wages. O'Farrell had to sign on at the dole office because he had no income.

This is a really good documentary about Frank O'Farrell

Good post, and thanks for the clip. There's also the book 'A Strange Kind of Glory' by Eamonn Dunphy (yeah, I know) that covers a lot about the Busby years and aftermath including O'Farrell, Docherty and Best.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The key to Brian Clough's success at Forest was down to getting Peter Taylor to be his assistant again.

Great story about Clough's man-management in dealing with Roy Keane. When Clough signed Keane he paid Cobh Ramblers £15,000. The Cobh Chairman told Clough he would have taken £10,000 - Clough replied that he would have paid half a million. When Keane joined Forest he was repeatedly homesick and Clough used to allow him go back to Cork for a few days break - eventually Keane settled. Keane then played in an U-21 tournament in Holland. Forest were playing Liverpool at Anfield for the first game of the season. Clough called Keane into his office and told him he was taking him to Anfield to help out with the kit - he told him to bring his boots so that he could do the warm-up with the team. Keane was thrilled and ran off to pack his boots. 15 mins before the game Clough handed Keane a jersey and told him he was playing. Keane said that he was so shocked he didn't have time to get nervous. He walked out on the pitch and stood beside Stuart Pearce who turned to Keane and said 'who the f*ck are you' - 'I'm Roy Keane'.
Great story, only mildly undermined by the unimportant detail that Pearce didn't play in that game.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Good post, and thanks for the clip. There's also the book 'A Strange Kind of Glory' by Eamonn Dunphy (yeah, I know) that covers a lot about the Busby years and aftermath including O'Farrell, Docherty and Best.
Dunphy was actually at Man U while Busby was manager - 1962-1965 I think

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Really? Clough coming to Brighton was the start of the upturn that continued with Taylor building a team that nearly took us to the top tier for the first time leaving Mullery to finish the job. Without Clough, there would have been no Taylor, no Peter Ward, Brian Horton and more..
Yes, really. Clough was a shockingly bad manager for us. The only good thing he did was to bugger off and fail to take Peter Taylor with him.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Great story, only mildly undermined by the unimportant detail that Pearce didn't play in that game.

You are correct - I'm showing my age, memory is going (or there is too much rubbish rattling around up there) - I checked the story - Pearce was receiving treatment for an injury and asked the physio what the line-up was for the match - then said 'Who the f*ck is Roy Keane'. Physio told him that he was some kid that they had signed a few days earlier from an Irish team. When the physio saw Keane a couple of days later he told him what Pearce had said and then Keane walked up to him and said 'I'm Roy Keane'.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whilst I don't disagree with that, it completely misses the point I was making. Oh, well ..
I know the point you were making - I simply don't attribute any of what happened five years later to Clough, just things that happened, not cause and effect. Taylor, just like Freddie Goodwin before him, just couldn't get us over the line.
Alan Mullery - nothing to do with Clough or anything he did - could and did. And Mullery didn't arrive as a result of Clough upping our profile - he was a rookie manager who was just damned glad to get a job!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Lawrie Sanchez. Transformed Northern Ireland, took them to the top of their Euro 2008 group. Jack Charlton-esque glory, footballing immortality, the unending adoration of a million people beckoned. But. He left in the middle of their qualification to manage Fulham in May 2007, was sacked in December. NI didn't qualify.

Managed at club level for two other single seasons, got relegated both times.

Good. What a bas*ard.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I know the point you were making - I simply don't attribute any of what happened five years later to Clough, just things that happened, not cause and effect. Taylor, just like Freddie Goodwin before him, just couldn't get us over the line.
Alan Mullery - nothing to do with Clough or anything he did - could and did. And Mullery didn't arrive as a result of Clough upping our profile - he was a rookie manager who was just damned glad to get a job!
You're distorting my point. Anyway, enough of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here