Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Managers Who Make The Wrong Move.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'll stert with a couple of our own . . .

Nathan Jones, seemingly on to a good thing when head coach at Saturday's opponents Luton, a role that seemed to suit him well, before leaving them in the lurch twice, once for Stoke City, and then for Southampton. Forgiven the 1st time he left, but cerainly not the second, and totall found wanting in the Premier League.

Graham Potter, left us well and truly in the pooh pooh when abandoning us for the bright city lights of Chelsea, taking half of his coaching staff with him. Yes probably tripling his bank balance but no job satisfaction at all, and receiving death threats into the bargain.

Both examples still seeking new posts.

Doubtless loads of other examples of managers shooting themselves in the foot when deciding to move on to join so called bigger clubs, then finding out the hard way that the grass isn't always greener. Over to you to name a few more.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Nuno Espirito Santo? Took the plunge and left Wolves to join Spurs. Possibly went even worse than the Jones or Potter moves did

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Mike Walker, Norwich to Everton. I've posted on here before about the similarities between Brighton/Potter and Norwich/Walker (with Walker doing better than Potter as he got Norwich into Europe where they outplayed Bayern Munich).

Without googling I believe he was Everton's briefest-ever managerial appointment. Once sacked by Everton he was never heard of again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Micky Adams 1.0. Dream move to assistant manager at Leicester quickly turned into a nightmare. Shame really, if he'd hung around at the Albion for another six months he'd have been an unassailable Double Championes solid gold Albion Legend. Instead, he jumped ship and left Peter Taylor with a simple steering job. Oh well :shrug:

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Didn't his contract at Wolves expire? Only got the spurs gig because he was a free agent, I thought.
You're correct. He's also doing just fine earning a pretty penny in Saudi.

I'd add Frank Lampard's 2nd stint as Chelsea last season. The ex-legend shine has well and truly worn off after Everton and the Chelsea debacle. Similarly, I doubt Allardyce will get another top flight firefighting role after the insipid way Leeds went down. He's gone the way of the now-extinct-Curbishley/Pulis.

Curveball, Sami Hyypia. He likely regrets taking the Brighton job. Garcia barely held the team together the season before and the club gave him a useless DoF, awful loanees (except Teixeira), has-been freebies and Chris O'Grady to will the Ulloa shaped hole. Plus, he was rubbish.

He was pretty well regarded before us, but all he's done since is a stint at FC Zurich (relegated) and a blink-and-you'll-miss it assistant job.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Gus Poyet.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Micky Adams 1.0. Dream move to assistant manager at Leicester quickly turned into a nightmare. Shame really, if he'd hung around at the Albion for another six months he'd have been an unassailable Double Championes solid gold Albion Legend. Instead, he jumped ship and left Peter Taylor with a simple steering job. Oh well :shrug:
Don't know about a nightmare, yes they went down with him as Dave Bassett's assistant but the next season with MA in charge they got promoted to the PL.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Gerrard to Villa. Another case of "being a great player doesn't instantly make you a great manager in the PL". Look how Villa kicked on after he was sacked.

Not that he'll be complaining too much now, as he loads the bags of sports-washed cash into his private jet.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Even if you do make the 'wrong' move as a manager and end up getting sacked, you'll have made so much money from the club you got sacked from that it must ease the blow. Look at say Frank Lampard going to Everton, a very poorly run club and his time there was a disaster and yet I imagine his earnings and pay off must run into millions.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Peter Taylor (2) didn't do much after choosing to leave us.
Didn't need to do much while he was with us. Pretty much a simple steering job. Quote from DK book: "One thing I should make clear is that this team virtually manages itself... So I'm offering the job, but this isn't something that's broken..."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here