Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Malkay will be in charge for Charlton.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Do you think Oscar will change his style of play, or will it be the same with a different personnel?

or ... we've still got the rump of the team that should have at least made Wembley last year and with the FFP propaganda machine running at full throttle I'm not sure how much better we can expect these new personnel to be

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
This. I find it truly amazing how our fans are so good at undermining the efforts of a manager who, from the onset, has stipulated that he wants to build a squad that is capable of a. getting out of the Championship, and b. sustaining life within the Premiership. The good folk of NSC have very short memories of some of the utter drivel the previous manager (who shall remain unnamed) served up. Our first season back in the Championship saw us flirting with relegation at one point as well as losing a couple of games in quick succession by 6 goals. Has this happened this year? However, it was Oscar's fault that Greer made two mistakes and it was also Oscar's fault for Ulloa missing a penalty. This is a transitional season where, quite frankly, we have achieved well above expectation considering the issues which have been well documented (for those on NSC with short memories I will be happy to post again with a list). Oscar has given the opportunity to a younger crop of players who will be much better for it (JFC, Ince, March, Dunk) who were never really given any chance previously. This is what is normally called building for the future. Unfortunately, some of our fans have bought into the culture (cancer) which is affecting football today, of every match has to be a win and the teddy is thrown a long way out of the pram if we don't. It's not our right to win every game - simple. It reflects society of today where we expect everything for nothing. Tough. It doesn't work like that.
Our club is moving forward and we should move forward with it, not against it. If you say you trust Bloom, then trust him in his decision to appoint a manager who goes about his business with an air of dignity, who is building for the future and is still dealing with many skeletons.

Or, in a nut shell, get a grip.

Rant over. Awaits vitriol.

I couldn't agree more. Too many on here expect instant success.

It's been a frustrating season. At times we show moments of brilliance in our approach play and then it can be followed by utter dirge in front of goal. However, we are not that far from being a very very good team. Look at Burnley - would they be in the same position if they had had the injuries we have have suffered this season? Getting promotion often needs a large slice of luck.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Our defence this season has kept us out of a relegation battle. If its true what TB says about Oscar having the final word on signings then he should be sacked for bringing Obika in.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Our defence this season has kept us out of a relegation battle. If its true what TB says about Oscar having the final word on signings then he should be sacked for bringing Obika in.

Obika was a season long loan target before Oscar was appointed , fortunately for us he picked up an injury and wasn't available until January. Oscar may have been influenced by NJ's opinion of how good Obika was.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I Hope not.

I still hope we see sense and get him in here ASAP!

Might still make the play offs!

OOps. Misread that last night. I thought it said will be in charge OF Charlton!!

Therefore I should have said

I Hope so!

I hope we see sense and get him in here ASAP!

Might still make the play offs!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Do you think Oscar will change his style of play, or will it be the same with a different personnel?

This is the key question for me - I don't expect us to win every game or run away with this league, not by a long way. Where I am really struggling with this season is the negative and defensive play - yes it IS defensive!

It is also churlish for those to suggest that Poyets teams served up shite, yes at times we did, but you could count on one hand the amount of times we were awful. You can count on one hand the amount of times we have taken a game by a scruff of the next this season and had a go and played 'well'. It's that apparent lack of passion/drive/commitment/personality in our play that I can't live with. Sadly, I truly believe our football reflects the personality of our manager right now.

We are not Barcelona and never will be, that's why you adapt. I label it as progress as I have done in a few other threads, and for me we have taken some massive steps backward this season, I just don't see where the progress is going to me from.

The comparisons with Ferguson and the patience Man U showed are crap as well. He already had a European trophy in his cabinet by the time he became their manager, not an Israeli league title.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
This is the key question for me - I don't expect us to win every game or run away with this league, not by a long way. Where I am really struggling with this season is the negative and defensive play - yes it IS defensive!

It is also churlish for those to suggest that Poyets teams served up shite, yes at times we did, but you could count on one hand the amount of times we were awful. You can count on one hand the amount of times we have taken a game by a scruff of the next this season and had a go and played 'well'. It's that apparent lack of passion/drive/commitment/personality in our play that I can't live with. Sadly, I truly believe our football reflects the personality of our manager right now.

We are not Barcelona and never will be, that's why you adapt. I label it as progress as I have done in a few other threads, and for me we have taken some massive steps backward this season, I just don't see where the progress is going to me from.

The comparisons with Ferguson and the patience Man U showed are crap as well. He already had a European trophy in his cabinet by the time he became their manager, not an Israeli league title.
:clap::clap:

Feb 14, 2010
The way the players failed to turn up in the play off at home against palace ( of all teams) and now the way they have shown a similar lack of fight this season will mean that they will get deserved stick. I'm pleased the Amex 30,000 have told the players exactly what they think of them. Why should Brighton continue to have bigger gates than Leeds but not expect anything? This club has under achieved in its history and it's time we said enough is enough, how about the players start over achieving for a change?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This. I find it truly amazing how our fans are so good at undermining the efforts of a manager who, from the onset, has stipulated that he wants to build a squad that is capable of a. getting out of the Championship, and b. sustaining life within the Premiership. The good folk of NSC have very short memories of some of the utter drivel the previous manager (who shall remain unnamed) served up. Our first season back in the Championship saw us flirting with relegation at one point as well as losing a couple of games in quick succession by 6 goals. Has this happened this year? However, it was Oscar's fault that Greer made two mistakes and it was also Oscar's fault for Ulloa missing a penalty. This is a transitional season where, quite frankly, we have achieved well above expectation considering the issues which have been well documented (for those on NSC with short memories I will be happy to post again with a list). Oscar has given the opportunity to a younger crop of players who will be much better for it (JFC, Ince, March, Dunk) who were never really given any chance previously. This is what is normally called building for the future. Unfortunately, some of our fans have bought into the culture (cancer) which is affecting football today, of every match has to be a win and the teddy is thrown a long way out of the pram if we don't. It's not our right to win every game - simple. It reflects society of today where we expect everything for nothing. Tough. It doesn't work like that.
Our club is moving forward and we should move forward with it, not against it. If you say you trust Bloom, then trust him in his decision to appoint a manager who goes about his business with an air of dignity, who is building for the future and is still dealing with many skeletons.

Or, in a nut shell, get a grip.

Rant over. Awaits vitriol.

I agree with the overall sentiment of not getting on Oscar's back. But not the highlighted bit. Our league position after each game in our first year back in the championship:

3, 2, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 5, 5, 9, 12, 10, 11, 10, 11, 11, 7, 6, 7, 9, 11, 16, 13, 12, 10, 11, 10, 8, 9, 9, 7, 7, 7, 5, 8, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 10

The nearest we came to 'flirting with relegation' was 16th, and at one point we were 1st

This season:

15, 19, 16, 10, 13, 14, 13, 10, 12, 12, 14, 14, 16, 12, 10, 9, 9, 11, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8, 7, 6, 7, 8, 9, 8, 7, 8, 8, 8, 7, 8, 8, 9, 9

We have twice been as low as 16th, and even were lower at one point. We have never been higher than 6th. If you are counting 16th (a clear five places above the relegation zone), for one week only, then yes, we have flirted with relegation this season. (If you take an average of our positions after each game, that first season we averaged 7th, this season we have averaged 10th)

Also, there was almost two months between the Premier League Liverpool 6-1 (Feb 19th) and the West Ham 6-0 (Apr 14th) so not exactly quick succession.

Last edited:

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
I agree with the overall sentiment of not getting on Oscar's back. But not the highlighted bit. Our league position after each game in our first year back in the championship:

3, 2, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 5, 5, 9, 12, 10, 11, 10, 11, 11, 7, 6, 7, 9, 11, 16, 13, 12, 10, 11, 10, 8, 9, 9, 7, 7, 7, 5, 8, 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 10

The nearest we came to 'flirting with relegation' was 16th, and at one point we were 1st

15, 19, 16, 10, 13, 14, 13, 10, 12, 12, 14, 14, 16, 12, 10, 9, 9, 11, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8, 7, 6, 7, 8, 9, 8, 7, 8, 8, 8, 7, 8, 8, 9, 9

We have twice been as low as 16th, and even were lower at one point. We have never been higher than 6th. If you are counting 16th (a clear five places above the relegation zone), for one week only, then yes, we have flirted with relegation this season. (If you take an average of our positions after each game, that first season we averaged 7th, this season we have averaged 10th)

Also, there was almost two months between the Premier League Liverpool 6-1 (Feb 19th) and the West Ham 6-0 (Apr 14th) so not exactly quick succession.

19th

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
....Look manager,head coach ,or whatever ! The league is littered with overspent clubs. When you come here,budget means budget OK,you can wish all you want,you will get a say on who you don't want,but it is us the club who will dictate on who we can afford.Then Coach its up to you,that's your job,ours is to make sure we don't go bust !!!!!!...........I can live with that !

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He got a darn sight closer than Oscar is going to get - with Poyets players.

Hardly....Barnes, El Abd, Bridcutt, Vicente, Lopez a shadow of last season, Orlandi hardly play and no Cms...So no he hasn't had Poyets players.What has been sold has been replaced with lesser players..So no surprise its only going one way.....oh and I forgot Poyet also had the best left back in the division as well...He spent a fortune.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Hardly....Barnes, El Abd, Bridcutt, Vicente, Lopez a shadow of last season, Orlandi hardly play and no Cms...So no he hasn't had Poyets players.What has been sold has been replaced with lesser players..So no surprise its only going one way.....oh and I forgot Poyet also had the best left back in the division as well...He spent a fortune.

Ward is the only REGULAR not brought in by Poyet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here