Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Malkay will be in charge for Charlton.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Is that the Malky Mackay who was so badly treated at Cardiff ?

Unfortunately, for those of us with a memory longer than a goldfish, that would be the same one who spent VERY big to win promotion to the premier league and has no history of developing youth. Fits TB's plans ideally then :facepalm:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
All Malky has proved is he can get a very expensively assembled squad to to the Prem, then overspend on poor players once he gets there.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
All Malky has proved is he can get a very expensively assembled squad to to the Prem, then overspend on poor players once he gets there.

You're mistaken there, I think 32 permanent signings in just over a couple of years is obviously a long term football philosophy and is exactly the sort of model we should follow :wink:

2011/12 Permanent Signings
Craig Conway
Don Cowie
Andrew Taylor
Rob Earnshaw
Aron Gunnarsson
Joe Mason
Kenny Miller
Rudy Gestede
Ben Turner
Elliott Parish
Kadeem Harris

2012/13 Permanent Signings
Joe Lewis
Filip Kiss
Jordon Mutch
Etien Velikonja
Kim Bo-Kyung
Heidar Helguson
Craig Bellamy
Matthew Connolly
Tommy Smith
Craig Noone
Nicky Maynard
Fraizer Campbell
Simon Lappin

2013/14 Permanent Signings
Andreas Cornelius
John Brayford
Simon Moore
Steven Caulker
Gary Medel
Maximilliano Amondarain
Kevin Theophile-Catherine
Peter Odemwingie

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We all criticise and mock clubs like Chelsea for their trigger-happy chairman, yet when it comes to our own club....

True. We even have a running thread on here which effectively takes the piss out of all the clubs that have had a manager in place for less time than us.

Oscar came here with little knowledge of English or Championship football; by the time the summer transfer window comes round - with cash to spend from the Bridcutt, Barnes and AEA transfers - he will have had a season to learn what it takes. He will also have improved his English - let's not underestimate the aspect of communication in a 2nd language. Significantly, he and the team will be moving into a fantastic new training facility and have a whole pre-season to get the players he wants to play the way he wants.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I wonder how all the people calling for a knee jerk reaction would feel if their boss pulled them aside tomorrow and said "I realise you've had an incredibly difficult year, in far from ideal circumstances, with one hand tied behind your back, and even though you are completely within reach of the target I set you at the beginning of the year if you put your mind to it and have a good couple of months, and even though you had no experience of this market before, which I obviously accounted for, I'm going to SACK you".

Because that's what they're asking Bloom to do. Fortunately, I don't believe we are one of 'those' clubs.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I agree. Oscar will be here until the Summer and will then leave (on his volition, not sacked).

I think this might well be the case. I have heard so many rumours about the structure concerning the bringing in of new players that if true I think OG will feel he has to go. It's not as if he has got the best out of the present ones either.

True. We even have a running thread on here which effectively takes the piss out of all the clubs that have had a manager in place for less time than us.

Oscar came here with little knowledge of English or Championship football; by the time the summer transfer window comes round - with cash to spend from the Bridcutt, Barnes and AEA transfers - he will have had a season to learn what it takes. He will also have improved his English - let's not underestimate the aspect of communication in a 2nd language. Significantly, he and the team will be moving into a fantastic new training facility and have a whole pre-season to get the players he wants to play the way he wants.

This. I find it truly amazing how our fans are so good at undermining the efforts of a manager who, from the onset, has stipulated that he wants to build a squad that is capable of a. getting out of the Championship, and b. sustaining life within the Premiership. The good folk of NSC have very short memories of some of the utter drivel the previous manager (who shall remain unnamed) served up. Our first season back in the Championship saw us flirting with relegation at one point as well as losing a couple of games in quick succession by 6 goals. Has this happened this year? However, it was Oscar's fault that Greer made two mistakes and it was also Oscar's fault for Ulloa missing a penalty. This is a transitional season where, quite frankly, we have achieved well above expectation considering the issues which have been well documented (for those on NSC with short memories I will be happy to post again with a list). Oscar has given the opportunity to a younger crop of players who will be much better for it (JFC, Ince, March, Dunk) who were never really given any chance previously. This is what is normally called building for the future. Unfortunately, some of our fans have bought into the culture (cancer) which is affecting football today, of every match has to be a win and the teddy is thrown a long way out of the pram if we don't. It's not our right to win every game - simple. It reflects society of today where we expect everything for nothing. Tough. It doesn't work like that.
Our club is moving forward and we should move forward with it, not against it. If you say you trust Bloom, then trust him in his decision to appoint a manager who goes about his business with an air of dignity, who is building for the future and is still dealing with many skeletons.

Or, in a nut shell, get a grip.

Rant over. Awaits vitriol.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think this might well be the case. I have heard so many rumours about the structure concerning the bringing in of new players that if true I think OG will feel he has to go. It's not as if he has got the best out of the present ones either.

If this is the case - and let's be honest, we have nothing but unsubstantiated speculation on this matter - then I think that TB would probably be more inclined to change the structure to suit his head coach/manager than let him leave before he's had a chance to make his mark. All this would achieve is another summer overhaul with the coaching staff.

Sir Alex is always the obvious example of a manager being given a chance to get the club playing and running how he wants; Brendan Rogers is another - I knew a couple of Liverpool fans who wanted him out when they only finished 7th and behind Everton last season.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
This. I find it truly amazing how our fans are so good at undermining the efforts of a manager who, from the onset, has stipulated that he wants to build a squad that is capable of a. getting out of the Championship, and b. sustaining life within the Premiership. The good folk of NSC have very short memories of some of the utter drivel the previous manager (who shall remain unnamed) served up. Our first season back in the Championship saw us flirting with relegation at one point as well as losing a couple of games in quick succession by 6 goals. Has this happened this year? However, it was Oscar's fault that Greer made two mistakes and it was also Oscar's fault for Ulloa missing a penalty. This is a transitional season where, quite frankly, we have achieved well above expectation considering the issues which have been well documented (for those on NSC with short memories I will be happy to post again with a list). Oscar has given the opportunity to a younger crop of players who will be much better for it (JFC, Ince, March, Dunk) who were never really given any chance previously. This is what is normally called building for the future. Unfortunately, some of our fans have bought into the culture (cancer) which is affecting football today, of every match has to be a win and the teddy is thrown a long way out of the pram if we don't. It's not our right to win every game - simple. It reflects society of today where we expect everything for nothing. Tough. It doesn't work like that.
Our club is moving forward and we should move forward with it, not against it. If you say you trust Bloom, then trust him in his decision to appoint a manager who goes about his business with an air of dignity, who is building for the future and is still dealing with many skeletons.

Or, in a nut shell, get a grip.

Rant over. Awaits vitriol.

Don't start speaking sense on here mate, it's a place for hysterical over reaction. Some of the behaviour shown by adults at yesterday's match was quite frankly embarrassing. The bloke with glasses in wsu block h about 4 rows from the front was just screaming at the players all match, complete ****.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I wonder how all the people calling for a knee jerk reaction would feel if their boss pulled them aside tomorrow and said "I realise you've had an incredibly difficult year, in far from ideal circumstances, with one hand tied behind your back, and even though you are completely within reach of the target I set you at the beginning of the year if you put your mind to it and have a good couple of months, and even though you had no experience of this market before, which I obviously accounted for, I'm going to SACK you".

Because that's what they're asking Bloom to do. Fortunately, I don't believe we are one of 'those' clubs.

I agree to an extent, but surely 'the boss' of a company has a long term strategic vision and if staff members are not pulling their weight, then their position is reviewed.

Poyet got away with it, as despite his some times 'non-political' correctness, the results and generally performances were ok.

We've nearly had a season now. Oscar inherited a good team, however has been beset by injuries, but the style is poor at best and I really do believe our position flatters us from what I've seen. Tactically some of the decisions are baffling, but he is the man in charge.

As per another thread a few weeks ago, in fairness to Oscar I think he was probably duped a little and told he had more resource financially than appears to be the case.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

While I agree with your position, I really don't like these 'what if it was you' analogies (see also, 'would you be happy with the players coming to your place of work and booing you?!'). I am sure Oscar is on a very decent wage, and to sack him would give him a generous pay off (assuming he hasn't done anything the club can categorise as gross misconduct), giving him release from a probably stressful situation, and with his Barcelona links the decent probability of another club giving him a chance, it isn't really comparable to a lot of fans' job situations.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Oscar was made Academy Director in June and they brought a new manager in. This was quite possibly the plan in Bloom's mind from the outset.

I agree to an extent, but surely 'the boss' of a company has a long term strategic vision and if staff members are not pulling their weight, then their position is reviewed.

Poyet got away with it, as despite his some times 'non-political' correctness, the results and generally performances were ok.

We've nearly had a season now. Oscar inherited a good team, however has been beset by injuries, but the style is poor at best and I really do believe our position flatters us from what I've seen. Tactically some of the decisions are baffling, but he is the man in charge.

As per another thread a few weeks ago, in fairness to Oscar I think he was probably duped a little and told he had more resource financially than appears to be the case.

Not quite convinced he inherited a good team. He inherited a decent but ageing team that IMO punched above its weight last season as shown in the play offs. He inherited players who wanted to follow the previous incumbent, he inherited backroom turmoil.

The strategic intent remains. This is a good learning experience where he will be much better for it in the summer. I am going to put my head above the parapet here and would like to see the following go:

Lopez
Orlandi
Greer - only for the reason of age (no I'm not ageist) and we need pace at the back.
Andrews
Agustin

I am also not totally convinced with Ulloa (good poacher and strong but not technically gifted nor speedy).

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Do those calling for change honestly believe that given all that has happened, with disjointed and unsettling pre-season, horrible luck with injuries and a very poor January transfer window when we lost our second striker and goal scoring midfielder and did not replace them, would be doing better than ninth place and in with a shout of the playoffs? Would I like us to be scoring more and being more fluid then sure but which ever way you dress it we don't have the forward power or creativity to be like that presently. We have one, yes one centre forward in Ulloa and have lost Buckley and orlandi for most of the season as our impact creative players and suffered from an off form lopez who could play that role. Coupled with crofts and barnes, perspective is needed.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If this is the case - and let's be honest, we have nothing but unsubstantiated speculation on this matter - then I think that TB would probably be more inclined to change the structure to suit his head coach/manager than let him leave before he's had a chance to make his mark. All this would achieve is another summer overhaul with the coaching staff.

Sir Alex is always the obvious example of a manager being given a chance to get the club playing and running how he wants; Brendan Rogers is another - I knew a couple of Liverpool fans who wanted him out when they only finished 7th and behind Everton last season.

Don't misunderstand me in thinking I want Oscar out, I don't. I've maintained that I will judge him nearing the end of his second season in charge.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there

Spot on.
Let's judge Oscar next season, I think he needs time and build HIS team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here