Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Malaysian airline crash

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
From the ex-US ambassador:

"@McFaul Russian GRU officer Strelkov admitting that he ordered the missile strike against the Malaysian jet."

Either this is incorrect and referring to the cargo plane they shot down earlier in the week, or they shot this down thinking it was another, as earlier posts here suggest...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why would Ukranian forces shoot down a plane - I wasn't aware that the Russian militants had any planes?!

Why would either side shoot down a passenger airline deliberately? As I have already said, nothing to gain in the slightest by this.

If they could pin the blame on the other side, perhaps?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
If they could pin the blame on the other side, perhaps?

Yes. This is the only reason someone would shoot it down deliberately - False flag I think they call it.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Whatever happened. My heart goes out to all the families of the victims. Coming from Amsterdam, I would assume that there will be UK casualties.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
18 years to the day since that TWA flight went down near Long Island,what a spooky coincidence.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This world of our needs sorting out pretty quickly ... difficult to see how

The answer is definitely not more violence yet that is definitely what will happen.

:nono:

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Sky News again reporting a rebel leader put up on his Russian twitter feed that they had shot down another Ukrainian cargo plane and it had landed right next to the village the Malaysian planes smoke can be seen rising above. That post was then removed when news of a missing passenger jet broke!

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
[h=2]Separatist leader 'boasts of downing plane in Ukraine'[/h] A separatist leader claimed on social media his men had shot down an aircraft in eastern Ukraine shortly before reports emerged of a passenger plane crashing in the area, Radio Free Europe Radio Liberty reports.
Igor Girkin wrote on Russia's largest social media site this afternoon: "In the vicinity of Torez, we just downed a plane, an AN-26 [a transport plane used by Ukrainian military].
"It is lying somewhere in the Progress Mine. We have issued warnings not to fly in our airspace. We have video confirming. The bird fell on a waste heap. Residential areas were not hit. Civilians were not injured."
The post also included two videos that showed black smoke billowing in the distance.

From http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-07-17/malaysian-passenger-airliner-crashes-in-ukraine/

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Absolutely dreadful pictures going about, I urge caution to anybody squeamish looking at photos.

This is really not going to go down well across the pond...

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I've just come home to hear the terrible news. Horrendous scenes on French tv. Thoughts are with the family members of the innocent victims. This world is seriously ****ed up!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Lets hope those responsible get what is coming to them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Itar Tass, a russian news agency, still has a piece up that the "Donetsk People’s Republic" downs a plane at Torez. pretty clear fvck up by the rebels. at the very least it shows they had tools and where using them at the time.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
No doubt it was the rebels - interesting to see the American retaliation to it

Is MH17 going to be a Franz Ferdinand?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here