Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Major incident in Newhaven

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
what he's typed is correct ....they have done the same in Aus Ford now manufactured in Thailand after a brief dalliance with South Africa which resulted in recall after recall and Holden ( Vauxhall/gm) banished completely ...its called globalism mate , you need to wake up to it , it'll be in your town soon.

So I’m supposed to be outraged that a multinational company chooses where to base its infrastructure?

Sorry, no.

We have sold our energy security to the French, our car production to the Indian and Chinese and our food security to the rest of Europe. We have also sold our ability to produce steel of the required quality to run a military to the Indians, who have promptly shut it down.

Now we can only go to war if a steel producing nation allows it. We’ve been told over multiple decades (ever since the stock exchanges “Big Bang”) that it doesn’t matter that we don’t do anything, we have a fantastic services sector.

We can’t make or produce anything, but we’ve been promised that’s ok, because we can show those who do make things where to hide their profits from our tax authorities.

This hasn’t happened over a year or two, this has happened over four decades.

The only way to reverse this would be to renationalise often loss making industries and subsidise them, requiring tax increases to pay for them.

Nobody is voting for that, everybody is voting for “moar tax cuts” despite plentiful evidence of the effects of our current tax regime.

This is our bed to lie in. For me to get pissy about Ford using a regime that we and America between us are the architects of, would be hypocritical in the extreme.

The British population won’t even vote Labour in unless they lurch so far to the right that they’re indistinguishable from the Conservative Party, so I have zero expectation of anything changing, except that we will continue to owe more and more as we do less and less ourselves. Welcome to Britain.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
So I’m supposed to be outraged that a multinational company chooses where to base its infrastructure?

Sorry, no.

We have sold our energy security to the French, our car production to the Indian and Chinese and our food security to the rest of Europe. We have also sold our ability to produce steel of the required quality to run a military to the Indians, who have promptly shut it down.

Now we can only go to war if a steel producing nation allows it. We’ve been told over multiple decades (ever since the stock exchanges “Big Bang”) that it doesn’t matter that we don’t do anything, we have a fantastic services sector.

We can’t make or produce anything, but we’ve been promised that’s ok, because we can show those who do make things where to hide their profits from our tax authorities.

The only way to reverse this would be to renationalise often loss making industries and subsidise them, requiring tax increases to pay for them.

Nobody is voting for that, everybody is voting for “moar tax cuts” despite plentiful evidence of the effects of our current tax regime.

This is our bed to lie in. For me to get pissy about Ford using a regime that we and America between us are the architects of, would be hypocritical in the extreme.

The British population won’t even vote Labour in unless they lurch so far to the right that they’re indistinguishable from the Conservative Party, so I have zero expectation of anything changing, except that we will continue to owe more and more as we do less and less ourselves. Welcome to Britain.
We did nationalise Forgemasters a few years ago go to provide parts for the MoD.

You may remember them as the lads who made a supergun for Saddam Hussein, which was impounded at UK customs after somebody questioned its labelling as an oil pipe. :lolol:
I should emphasise that the directors at Forgemasters were exonerated from any wrongdoing.

Edit: they're doing quite a lot of work on the Forgemasters site at the minute, anybody getting the train into Sheffield today from Doncaster/Meadowhall direction will see the site on the left.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Sorry, no.

i would say that you are , indeed , outraged ....as we all should be .

tax cuts result in poverty as we can all see , rich ****s keep their coin and poor ****s suffer or go out robbing ....throw in 50 k third world immigrants and what's gunna go wrong ...? did the Eton and Cambridge educated f*** witts not give this any thought ......at all..??

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
i would say that you are , indeed , outraged ....as we all should be .

tax cuts result in poverty as we can all see , rich ****s keep their coin and poor ****s suffer or go out robbing ....throw in 50 k third world immigrants and what's gunna go wrong ...? did the Eton and Cambridge educated f*** witts not give this any thought ......at all..??

Immigration is absolutely a double-edged sword. But, we have created an environment nationally that is full of uncertainty and the potential for significant hardship. This is not an environment in which people feel safe and secure.

It’s a known fact that all animals including humans have declining birth rates when they don’t feel safe or secure, or there is perceived to be a lack of available resources. We’re simply not having the number of kids we used to. In my view, this is completely understandable, we used to have a comprehensive social safety net. Now, not so much. I would also add that a mixture of contraception and awareness of what child rearing involves has also correctly contributed to the birth rate decline.

Immigration fills the gaps in our labour force, it should be welcomed, because the alternative is those jobs going elsewhere. Even the leftiest of the left on here doesn’t want entirely uncontrolled immigration, they want the people who come in to be of good character and ready and willing to contribute, but as babies famously take 9 months on our ever laggardly NHS and don’t then reach an age to work for a further 18 years, immigration is the only quick fix, the alternative being employers deciding that Britain doesn’t have the workforce and basing their facilities elsewhere.

Where you and I differ at present is that you are accepting in good faith articles suggesting that our issues are largely caused and exacerbated by immigration. I am far less certain of that, and while I accept that immigration can increase pressure on stretched local services, they are not the cause of those services being stretched.

We have suffered years of chronic underinvestment in our public services, with the Conservative’s latest wheeze being that local authorities should sell any land or buildings that they own to plug the shortfall in the settlement from central government. This is the modern Conservative playbook. Starve something of resource, then sell it when it’s on its knees because clearly public ownership is not working. It’s cynical and short-termist, what happens when there’s nothing left to sell? We have to buy things back at market prices. Public risk, private profit.

We need to rebuild our social housing stocks, provide more generous settlements to our local authorities, and pay for it all. I would absolutely vote for higher taxes, and a party that will close the loopholes and legislation so adroitly exploited by multinational organizations, but no mainstream political party will spell out what’s needed because they risk deep unpopularity. The British electorate believe in the Conservative vision of selling off the family silver to subsidize tax cuts, while everything gets less civilized and nastier. It doesn’t have to be this way, but the British electorate really need to give their head a wobble.

Anyway, you’ve got me doing a Fergus now, so I’ll say no more on this thread. There don’t seem to have been any fatalities reported, so I hope that those in the Newhaven incident are recuperating well. If you want to carry on the chat, by all means PM me, then we won’t bore everyone else.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Immigration is absolutely a double-edged sword. But, we have created an environment nationally that is full of uncertainty and the potential for significant hardship. This is not an environment in which people feel safe and secure.

It’s a known fact that all animals including humans have declining birth rates when they don’t feel safe or secure, or there is perceived to be a lack of available resources. We’re simply not having the number of kids we used to. In my view, this is completely understandable, we used to have a comprehensive social safety net. Now, not so much. I would also add that a mixture of contraception and awareness of what child rearing involves has also correctly contributed to the birth rate decline.

Immigration fills the gaps in our labour force, it should be welcomed, because the alternative is those jobs going elsewhere. Even the leftiest of the left on here doesn’t want entirely uncontrolled immigration, they want the people who come in to be of good character and ready and willing to contribute, but as babies famously take 9 months on our ever laggardly NHS and don’t then reach an age to work for a further 18 years, immigration is the only quick fix, the alternative being employers deciding that Britain doesn’t have the workforce and basing their facilities elsewhere.

Where you and I differ at present is that you are accepting in good faith articles suggesting that our issues are largely caused and exacerbated by immigration. I am far less certain of that, and while I accept that immigration can increase pressure on stretched local services, they are not the cause of those services being stretched.

We have suffered years of chronic underinvestment in our public services, with the Conservative’s latest wheeze being that local authorities should sell any land or buildings that they own to plug the shortfall in the settlement from central government. This is the modern Conservative playbook. Starve something of resource, then sell it when it’s on its knees because clearly public ownership is not working. It’s cynical and short-termist, what happens when there’s nothing left to sell? We have to buy things back at market prices. Public risk, private profit.

We need to rebuild our social housing stocks, provide more generous settlements to our local authorities, and pay for it all. I would absolutely vote for higher taxes, and a party that will close the loopholes and legislation so adroitly exploited by multinational organizations, but no mainstream political party will spell out what’s needed because they risk deep unpopularity. The British electorate believe in the Conservative vision of selling off the family silver to subsidize tax cuts, while everything gets less civilized and nastier. It doesn’t have to be this way, but the British electorate really need to give their head a wobble.

Anyway, you’ve got me doing a Fergus now, so I’ll say no more on this thread. There don’t seem to have been any fatalities reported, so I hope that those in the Newhaven incident are recuperating well. If you want to carry on the chat, by all means PM me, then we won’t bore everyone else.
mate ...you say we but it's not we / us is it ..??, it's them .......how the f*** did you end up with Sunak as p.m. the guy comes from billionaire heritage , his father in law is a stand alone billionaire in the surveillance/banking and pharmaceutical industry , he wasn't voted in ...?? for f*** sake mate ....!!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Welshman charged in connection with last Friday's "Major incident in Newhaven "

Vietnamese !

After so much was posted about Muslim immigrants changing religion on this thread. I really can't imagine why the thread went off at such a tangent :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
mate ...you say we but it's not we / us is it ..??, it's them .......how the f*** did you end up with Sunak as p.m. the guy comes from billionaire heritage , his father in law is a stand alone billionaire in the surveillance/banking and pharmaceutical industry , he wasn't voted in ...?? for f*** sake mate ....!!
We didn't vote for him. He was elected by the tory membership after a coup removed Johnson, and the first replacement (thick Lizzy) turned out to be mad. He wasn't voted it. FFS. Mate.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We didn't vote for him. He was elected by the tory membership after a coup removed Johnson, and the first replacement (thick Lizzy) turned out to be mad. He wasn't voted it. FFS. Mate.

Not wishing to be pedantic, but absolutely nobody voted for Sunak. The coup removed Johnson, the membership voted for Truss, she resigned, they had another leadership contest and everyone stood down except for Sunak.

He's the Tory's last standing default, nothing more. Inspirational :wink:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not wishing to be pedantic, but absolutely nobody voted for Sunak. The membership voted for Truss, she resigned, they had another leadership contest and everyone stood down except for Sunak.

The fifth Prime Minister in 8 years since Cameron ran away. The coward is now a Lord and Foreign Secretary. That tells the world what an unholy mess this country is in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not wishing to be pedantic, but absolutely nobody voted for Sunak. The membership voted for Truss, she resigned, they had another leadership contest and everyone stood down except for Sunak.

Not even an internal vote because nobody else wanted the job?

Frankly I'm not bothered. If a sitting PM is removed it is the prerogative of the party of government to replace him.

Wislon - Callaghan
Thatcher - Major
Blaire - Broon
Johnson - Thicko - Sunk

And every time it happens the opposition screams for a policeman (er, a general election). We love it, here. Love it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The fifth Prime Minister in 8 years since Cameron ran away. The coward is now a Lord and Foreign Secretary. That tells the world what an unholy mess this country is in.
I blame the electorate.

We only ever get what we deserve.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not even an internal vote because nobody else wanted the job?

Frankly I'm not bothered. If a sitting PM is removed it is the prerogative of the party of government to replace him.

Wislon - Callaghan
Thatcher - Major
Blaire - Broon
Johnson - Thicko - Sunk

And every time it happens the opposition screams for a policeman (er, a general election). We love it, here. Love it.
Each of your examples happened in one term of government. There have been just two elections (in two years) since Brexit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Each of your examples happened in one term of government. There have been just two elections (in two years) since Brexit.
Two PM replacements, not elections, surely? Sorry, not following your point.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Two PM replacements, not elections, surely? Sorry, not following your point.
Cameron ran away almost immediately after the Brexit vote in 2016. May took over but wanted a bigger majority so called a snap election in March 2017.
She was ousted the following year and Johnson took over.
He held an election in Dec 2019, ousted in 2022, followed by Truss, followed by Sunak.

5 PMs and just two general elections in 8 years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Cameron ran away almost immediately after the Brexit vote in 2016. May took over but wanted a bigger majority so called a snap election in March 2017.
She was ousted the following year and Johnson took over.
He held an election in Dec 2019, ousted in 2022, followed by Truss, followed by Sunak.

5 PMs and just two general elections.
Sorry yes. I forgot about those jokers.

So switching PMs during their tenure as PM seems quite commonplace.

I am not keen, obviously, but I'm not particularly concerned. It is what it is.

One of the most profound coups was in 1981 when Andrew McIntosh won the GLC for labour and was then quickly replaced by Ken Livingstone, who was so effective that Thatcher stepped in and abolished the GLC.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
We did nationalise Forgemasters a few years ago go to provide parts for the MoD.

You may remember them as the lads who made a supergun for Saddam Hussein, which was impounded at UK customs after somebody questioned its labelling as an oil pipe. :lolol:
I should emphasise that the directors at Forgemasters were exonerated from any wrongdoing.

Edit: they're doing quite a lot of work on the Forgemasters site at the minute, anybody getting the train into Sheffield today from Doncaster/Meadowhall direction will see the site on the left.

Brilliant. We have nationalised a parts maker who can make parts with the steel from….oh.

There is apparently no such thing as a Tory that understands supply chains, or even raw material production’s role in our national security. I suspect they were all booted out by Johnson for raising inconvenient facts.

Bugger, I’ve gone off topic again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I blame the electorate.

We only ever get what we deserve.

A total myth.
Yeah - I'm not having it, either.

If all eligible voters in any election, are properly and truthfully informed, about their possible choices - then you could agree with the premise.

If a chunk of voters are disenfranchised (through age barriers, or voter ID limitations), and those left are unduly influenced by a biased media, funded and controlled by malevolent third parties with vested interests - not so much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here