Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Major incident in Newhaven

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
A total myth.

Is it? The Conservative master plan for decades has been to sell as much of Britain as possible, facilitating tax cuts for the wealthy. This is not some kind of secret, voters have knowingly and willingly voted for this for most of my time on this earth (bar a bit at the beginning and a bit in the middle)

Politics wasn’t an interest for me in the 70s, but I remember how Thatcher/Major left the country, and this time is even worse. Yet people keep voting for it, the promise of lower tax bills, in return for the voters studied ignorance of what the public is losing each time the Conservatives are voted into power.

That is the bargain Conservative voters make, and they make it knowingly and willingly, every time.

Oh f*** me, this is the Newhaven thread. Third time’s the charm, I ain’t gonna post no more. :facepalm:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Brilliant. We have nationalised a parts maker who can make parts with the steel from….oh.

There is apparently no such thing as a Tory that understands supply chains, or even raw material production’s role in our national security. I suspect they were all booted out by Johnson for raising inconvenient facts.

Bugger, I’ve gone off topic again.
How far down that line do you go though?
Would you reopen the mines on the off chance that at some point we can't import raw material from overseas?

Incidentally, a few months ago in a pub I got talking to the bloke who was Parker Pen's project manager when they moved production from Newhaven to Nantes. He was scathing about the decision and had nothing but good things to say about the people working in Newhaven.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is it? The Conservative master plan for decades has been to sell as much of Britain as possible, facilitating tax cuts for the wealthy. This is not some kind of secret, voters have knowingly and willingly voted for this for most of my time on this earth (bar a bit at the beginning and a bit in the middle)

Politics wasn’t an interest for me in the 70s, but I remember how Thatcher/Major left the country, and this time is even worse. Yet people keep voting for it, the promise of lower tax bills, in return for the voters studied ignorance of what the public is losing each time the Conservatives are voted into power.

That is the bargain Conservative voters make, and they make it knowingly and willingly, every time.

Oh f*** me, this is the Newhaven thread. Third time’s the charm, I ain’t gonna post no more. :facepalm:
As previously pointed out, client journalism from newspaper owners who themselves are tax avoiding exiles, printing propaganda means many of the electorate are misinformed.

Back on topic, when I worked in the Criminal Justice System, many cannabis farms were run by Vietnamese.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
As previously pointed out, client journalism from newspaper owners who themselves are tax avoiding exiles, printing propaganda means many of the electorate are misinformed.

Back on topic, when I worked in the Criminal Justice System, many cannabis farms were run by Vietnamese.
Many Nail Bars are too 😉

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yeah - I'm not having it, either.

If all eligible voters in any election, are properly and truthfully informed, about their possible choices - then you could agree with the premise.

If a chunk of voters are disenfranchised (through age barriers, or voter ID limitations), and those left are unduly influenced by a biased media, funded and controlled by malevolent third parties with vested interests - not so much.

Or just drive round the country in a bus with a load of lies painted on it and pretend an Establishment City of London man is a pint drinking man of the people talking plain old common sense, while the BBC give him loads of air time despite him never having won a seat in the UK parliament.

Sheep are easily led.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I didn’t suggest that nail bars are illegal 😉
No, you suggested they're used for money laundering. See also Turkish Barbers and Vape Shops. Barely a day goes by on Twitter without someone (normally with a couple of flags on their bio) getting in an absolute FROTH about all three.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah - I'm not having it, either.

If all eligible voters in any election, are properly and truthfully informed, about their possible choices - then you could agree with the premise.

If a chunk of voters are disenfranchised (through age barriers, or voter ID limitations), and those left are unduly influenced by a biased media, funded and controlled by malevolent third parties with vested interests - not so much.
It is the responsibility of the voter to ensure they are properly informed, and indeed registered to vote.

We are lied to all the time my multiple informants. We can see, just from NSC, that different folk believe entirely different things about the state of society, the intentions and even the actions of politicians. There can be no gold standard repository of truth. We have to work it out for ourselves.

I do agree that there is active disenfranchisement, but if the tories make it harder to vote and harder to register to vote, it is still not impossible, and if people want to be able to vote they will simply have to spend the time to ensure they can. Yes I appreciate there is a numbers game in operation here, and that the tories hope that the poor, the frail, and the busy people, who would perhaps vote labour, end up unregistered. We can but hope that if we can vote the tories out, Labour will make it easier for people to vote.

I note also that the proxy voting process that made it easier for the old and infirm to vote by doing so through a trusted friend or family member, was abused with senior members of communities harvesting votes for their favoured candidate.

Like all things in society we need to be vigilant and make the effort to pursue what we consider to be just. It is also the case that there is no single view about what is just.

I don't accept that we are not getting the government we deserve owing to 'age barriers' or 'voter ID limitations'. Whether 16 year olds should get a vote is a moot point. I seem to recall that when I was 16 I wanted to 'send all the immigrants back home'. I wrote it in an exercise book. I may have been 15 but whatever. As for voter ID, why not?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I’m part of the electorate and like millions of others I didn’t vote Tory. Or leave.

It’s myth.

We don’t live in a democracy. Democracy only works if there is transparency and truth and if everyone knows precisely what they are voting for.

We are so far from democracy. It’s heartbreaking.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
We didn't vote for him. He was elected by the tory membership after a coup removed Johnson, and the first replacement (thick Lizzy) turned out to be mad. He wasn't voted it. FFS. Mate.
i f***ing know no **** voted for him but his f***ing peers seemed to think he was top man for the job ...****s, FFS MATE...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A total myth.
I think it is a valuable and sobering concept, even if it is somewhat tongue in cheek. What more could we as individuals do to ensure we get better government? Do we do anything much at all, other than moan? I understand you are an exceptional active citizen, so if you want to detach yourself from the collective responsibility, that's fine.

In general, by 'we' I mean the collective electorate. I don't mean that I, a Labour member, got a tory government because I personally deserved it. Although, perhaps I got a tory government because I didn't campaign hard enough. There again, I wasn't a labour member during the last general election, and only joined later, when Corbyn was replaced by Starmer. Perhaps I did get the government I personally deserved, after all :wink: .

In addition, we, as a nation, got a tory government because we as a nation, have a good number of patriotic, traditional, xenophobic, gullible or venal voters (perm whichever combination applies - those who voted for tax cuts may be venal for their choice and gullible for imagining Johnson would deliver, for example) and, on the occasion of the last general election, they were in the majority. That may seem unfair on the minority who voted for other parties. But if misfortune has fallen on anyone as a consequence this is deserved either because it was what they voted for, or deserved because they failed to persuade friends and colleagues to vote differently. Sadly the left lost the argument last time.

In restrospect, personally, I regret flouncing from labour over the 'tax breaks for all religious schools' policy of Blair, and paying little attention thereafter, as the party turned to mush under Brown and Milliband, so complacent was I that Cameron was mostly harmless and that we would reject the call to leave the EU. What a mug. So, yes, perhaps even I, personally, got the shit show I deserved. I'm now taking responsibility and owning it, and speaking against the current Sunk shower at every opportunity. You may not have noticed that :wink: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
i f***ing know no **** voted for him but his f***ing peers seemed to think he was top man for the job ...****s, FFS MATE...
Best not get too angry over the instincts and choices of tory MPs. If you do, you'll have only minutes to live :wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think it is a valuable and sobering concept, even if it is somewhat tongue in cheek. What more could we as individuals do to ensure we get better government? Do we do anything much at all, other than moan? I understand you are an exceptional active citizen, so if you want to detach yourself from the collective responsibility, that's fine.

In general, by 'we' I mean the collective electorate. I don't mean that I, a Labour member, got a tory government because I personally deserved it. Although, perhaps I got a tory government because I didn't campaign hard enough. There again, I wasn't a labour member during the last general election, and only joined later, when Corbyn was replaced by Starmer. Perhaps I did get the government I personally deserved, after all :wink: .

In addition, we, as a nation, got a tory government because we as a nation, have a good number of patriotic, traditional, xenophobic, gullible or venal voters (perm whichever combination applies - those who voted to tax cuts may be venal for the choice and gullible for imagining Johnson would deliver, for example) and, on the occasion of the last general election, they were in the majority. That may seem unfair on the minority who voted for other parties. But if misfortune has fallen on anyone as a consequence this is deserved either because it was what they voted for, or deserved because they failed to persuade friends and colleagues to vote differently. Sadly the left lost the argument last time.

In restrospect, personally, I regret flouncing from labour over the 'tax breaks for all religious schools' policy of Blair, and paying little attention thereafter, as the party turned to mush under Brown and Milliband, so complacent was I that Cameron was mostly harmless and that we would reject the call to leave the EU. What a mug. So, yes, perhaps even I, personally, got the shit show I deserved. I'm now taking responsibility and owning it, and speaking against the current Sunk shower at every opportunity. You may not have noticed that :wink: :thumbsup:

I understand your point. And arguably, you are correct. We are an apathetic nation. We’ll go off and kill foreigners thousand fo miles away for “a better world”
But we’ll happily let kids starve while companies declare hundreds of billions profit inder and because of Tory rule.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I understand your point. And arguably, you are correct. We are an apathetic nation. We’ll go off and kill foreigners thousand fo miles away for “a better world”
But we’ll happily let kids starve while companies declare hundreds of billions profit inder and because of Tory rule.
Indeed. Humans are disappointing, but I think there is hope. We do loads of mad and bad things now, but the direction of travel is pleasing, if annoyingly slow. I'm old enough to remember common attitudes to Jews, people of colour (a term that would have been mocked), men who showered daily (yes, forget about people who were openly gay, simply taking care of one's nose hair and finger nails would make you a "f***ing poof" in the 70s). What about women? I could go on.

I think of these things when I need cheering up. Shit happens, but we live and learn, even if we can't always see it in 'real time'. And when we don't learn, often laws are changed to make us learn (consider the open racism at football in the not-so-distant past). Onwards and upwards.

Best wishes :thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I’m part of the electorate and like millions of others I didn’t vote Tory. Or leave.

It’s myth.

We don’t live in a democracy. Democracy only works if there is transparency and truth and if everyone knows precisely what they are voting for.

We are so far from democracy. It’s heartbreaking.
nowhere is perfect but here you HAVE to vote , if you don't you get fined , again im not saying its the bees knees but i think it stops the political impetus being completely kyboshed , corrupted and side tracked for the good of a few billionaire , psychotic , megalomaniacs.....in this day and age all politicians regardless of their party , all bat for the same team , if Starmer gets in you can bet your universal credit vouchers you'll have the bayonets out for him within 3 yrs....power corrupts

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Best not get too angry over the instincts and choices of tory MPs. If you do, you'll have only minutes to live :wink:
i have neighbours from Hartlepool , Leicester and Luton . They are all in their 80's , they sit outside in the balmy summer evenings putting the world to rights , drinking heavily , all three are thoroughly disillusioned with the state of Britain and British politics , i have stopped coming home early because i get caught up in their too and fro and it winds me up no end .....trouble is they sound like a bunch of racist , homophobic twatts but it is difficult to argue with most of what they say :headfuck:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
i have neighbours from Hartlepool , Leicester and Luton . They are all in their 80's , they sit outside in the balmy summer evenings putting the world to rights , drinking heavily , all three are thoroughly disillusioned with the state of Britain and British politics , i have stopped coming home early because i get caught up in their too and fro and it winds me up no end .....trouble is they sound like a bunch of racist , homophobic twatts but it is difficult to argue with most of what they say :headfuck:
I wouldn't worry yourself by putting much store by a drunk, 80 year-old Monkey Hanger in Australia's opinion on the state of Britain.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I wouldn't worry yourself by putting much store by a drunk, 80 year-old Monkey Hanger in Australia's opinion on the state of Britain.
trouble is he's a very well travelled , well read , highly qualified engineer ....very intelligent guy , the fella from Luton was a town planner and Borough architect , both loaded , admittedly the guy from Leicester is a bell end ..:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here