Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Coronavirus / Covid-19

Some of you need to give your head a wobble, this great plan the incredible Boris has set out is so vague and gives no one any support financially. A selfish government that does not care.
All this money promised to the NHS is just bollocks, staff are used and abused because they are compelled to help people .

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

He won’t commit to anything because his priority is himself and his position long term not the Country.

I’m playing my Farage card today, a man I simply detest and have no time for. He’d have been a much much better PM than the current one because he understands ‘Island & homogeneous’ mentality. I deplore those values in a social and economic sense but my god, we’d have less than 100 infections if he’d been in charge. He’d have locked us down with the same speed New Zealand were shut to the World.

We have a maverick PM who took an unconventional strategy that has been called ‘high risk’ on here many times. The government have now U-Turned from mitigation to suppression. What a mess, thousands are going to die in the short term for nothing now. Everything that awful man utters is ‘could’ & ‘may’. I’m asthmatic, I ‘could’ be in the vulnerable group because I have the flu jab and I ‘may’ get a communication from the government to ‘social distance’ myself but they are going to wait for the science to confirm this so I’m not expecting any news for a few weeks. When this is over, Johnson must be removed if a coup hasn’t already done for him. He is the worst person we could have possibly had in charge.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yea she's still going in... she is worried but feels she has to go in because two other pregnant teachers are still going in :( i didn't know if i was overreacting telling her to not go in. Don't want her risking her job, especially as mine is gradually become dubious.

I really think they need to tell the head they won't be. They're doing the complete opposite of what government advice is for the average person is to do as it is, and pregnant women are being told to take even further precaution. The two heads of the people I know and know of pregnant accepted they wouldn't go in without question.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So please tell me what your great plan is or was then? Corbyn ? Tell me what you think he would do differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No point in deflecting the thread to play Fantasy PM.

We have enough to be concerned about with the actual reality of this crisis.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So please tell me what your great plan is or was then? Corbyn ? Tell me what you think he would do differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think any other leader would be setting out to support its citizens right now

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He won’t commit to anything because his priority is himself and his position long term not the Country.

I’m playing my Farage card today, a man I simply detest and have no time for. He’d have been a much much better PM than the current one because he understands ‘Island & homogeneous’ mentality. I deplore those values in a social and economic sense but my god, we’d have less than 100 infections if he’d been in charge. He’d have locked us down with the same speed New Zealand were shut to the World.

We have a maverick PM who took an unconventional strategy that has been called ‘high risk’ on here many times. The government have now U-Turned from mitigation to suppression. What a mess, thousands are going to die in the short term for nothing now. Everything that awful man utters is ‘could’ & ‘may’. I’m asthmatic, I ‘could’ be in the vulnerable group because I have the flu jab and I ‘may’ get a communication from the government to ‘social distance’ myself but they are going to wait for the science to confirm this so I’m not expecting any news for a few weeks. When this is over, Johnson must be removed if a coup hasn’t already done for him. He is the worst person we could have possibly had in charge.

Farage? :laugh: sure he'd close the border, also a policy of stiff upper lip and do nothing but chicken pox parties to spread the virus and get it over with.

not clear what conventional strategy is for ours to be unconventional, no one else is really doing the same thing and changing every few days.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Coronavirus / Covid-19

Farage? :laugh: sure he'd close the border, also a policy of stiff upper lip and do nothing but chicken pox parties to spread the virus and get it over with.

Laugh all you want. Farage has said what he’d have done and he said it weeks ago. Rather than chicken pox parties, I think he’d be adopting the actions of the countries in the following article. Countries that are successfully flattening the curve and suppressing the virus.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-china-51921515

We’re about to go full Italy in this Country, I have no confidence in Johnson’s ‘Flattered Sombreo’.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
because they deal with evidence, summary and assumption isnt sufficient.
I don't think that answers the point I was discussing. They already had an idea of what percentage of us need to be infected/recovered in order for us to provide herd immunity (because of what's required with other viruses). So they knew it would require a good 40 million of us to be infected. Who in their right mind thought we could have 40 million people in the UK infected over the next 10 months, and not see hundreds of thousands of deaths?

I'm sorry but if the line I quoted ("We were expecting herd immunity to build. We now realise it’s not possible to cope with that") was really from Imperial College, then they were really unacceptably stupid.

and the upshot is, according to the graph, its not going to make much difference anyway.
Which graph? The one showing different peaks depending on the chosen course of action doesn't show how the outcomes would vary depending on when we choose to limit social contact. Look at the advice from the WHO. They say that in all serious virus cases it pays to act fast. Delaying the isolation actions costs lives.

Jan 30, 2008

Says the grim reaper , more political bullshit, I guess you're a flakey liberal
Regards
DF

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

You could come over as just a Johnson hater with a post like that, I totally disagree with the Farage bit, anybody with true leadership and doing the right thing for the people will do, like France and NZ for example.
But the rest I totally agree with and I couldn't care less if I admit that I detest the total idiot, I didn't expect that he had to make these sort of decisions so quickly as PM, but the country can now see what a weak clown he his.
He is miles outside of his comfort zone, why? because he has to think of other people and not himself and he can't do it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't think that answers the point I was discussing.

they might have an idea of something, being acedemics they want to do some research, run some models write and check a report before publishing. that takes time even if they come to the same conclusion as the commentariat.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
People do realise that Johnson is just a mouthpiece don’t they? Everything he says is written for him, every strategy composed by the backroom boys and girls. He may be an utterly objectionable person, but you can’t blame him for government policy on this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You could come over as just a Johnson hater with a post like that, I totally disagree with the Farage bit, anybody with true leadership and doing the right thing for the people will do, like France and NZ for example.
But the rest I totally agree with and I couldn't care less if I admit that I detest the total idiot, I didn't expect that he had to make these sort of decisions so quickly as PM, but the country can now see what a weak clown he his.
He is miles outside of his comfort zone, why? because he has to think of other people and not himself and he can't do it.

That's somewhat harsh.

I'm not sure I'd want a leader who's 'comfort zone' is in the eye of a global pandemic.

Sure I'd prefer someone more 'statesmanlike', but that person hasn't been around for quite a while.
I'd be feeling a lot safer if Obama was over there and we had lil Barack over here.

As it is Trump-lite is still clearing the lowest bar ever set - better than his 'daddy'.

History will tell us who was right, we're a long way from knowing that now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
People do realise that Johnson is just a mouthpiece don’t they? Everything he says is written for him, every strategy composed by the backroom boys and girls. He may be an utterly objectionable person, but you can’t blame him for government policy on this.

He brought Cummings in, so yes, he is responsible. We know they’re not listening to senior civil servants.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Says the grim reaper , more political bullshit, I guess you're a flakey liberal
Regards
DF

You used to be vaguely amusing Das, what do you actually get out of this these days? Seems a bit sad mate if I’m honest (sorry). I know someone who knows you and says you’re a decent bloke and the account is a wind up by your own confession, but maybe with all this going on now is not the time for it.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
That's somewhat harsh.

I'm not sure I'd want a leader who's 'comfort zone' is in the eye of a global pandemic.

Sure I'd prefer someone more 'statesmanlike', but that person hasn't been around for quite a while.
I'd be feeling a lot safer if Obama was over there and we had lil Barack over here.

As it is Trump-lite is still clearing the lowest bar ever set - better than his 'daddy'.

History will tell us who was right, we're a long way from knowing that now.

Obama... Now there’s an articulate, engaging statesman with huge gravitas. Are there two more polar opposite human beings/politicians than Obama & Trump?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So, following Boris’ advice for the vulnerable, not to go out and get their shopping delivered, I tried to do a home delivery with Sainsbury’s and there are no delivery slots showing for the NEXT THREE WEEKS. How the **** am I supposed to stay indoors and isolate if I can’t get supplies of food, etc...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Government of national unity? Is there a politician of any political persuasion that has the emotional intellect, gravitas and empathy to steer us through this?

Something we have to take a lot of the responsibility for.
We've treated our politicians as clowns and are now complaining we have clown politicians.

Sure they've made it easy of us to openly mock them.
But we've allowed soundbite policies, bravado, bluster and sensational headlines to guide us to a place where we are left with only the people we wouldn't want running the country, in charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here