Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Royal Mail (quoting Public Health England) have put out a statement.

Public Health England (PHE) has advised that people receiving parcels are not at risk of contracting the coronavirus. From experience with other coronaviruses, we know that these types of viruses don’t survive long on objects, such as letters or parcels. This complements the highly publicised guidance from PHE for people to wash their hands more often than usual using soap and hot water.

https://www.royalmail.com/coronavir...C7jJOLCouMT9XxJiXL4MHM2I02gU099kiF41v3EyqDjT0

Interestingly my usually unflappable postie had a parcel for me - rung the door bell, and left the parcel on the doorstep and then stepped back. When I opened the door he apologised and said he couldn't hand the parcel to me.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Got to go shopping as the cupboards are bare

We shall fight in the aisles,
we shall fight for the toilet roll,
we shall fight for the paracetamol
we shall fight for the hand cleaner;
we shall never surrender

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Interestingly my usually unflappable postie had a parcel for me - rung the door bell, and left the parcel on the doorstep and then stepped back. When I opened the door he apologised and said he couldn't hand the parcel to me.

Yesterday I was in and I heared what I thought was the mail dropping through, no knock.
10 minutes later I saw that it was a parcel that needed signing for, so I now have to go and get it.
Now, I don't know if that is now the policy or not because the lazy git does that most times anyway and makes my piss boil.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Mine did the same on Saturday.

That is what is said in the statement.

Additionally, for all customers (including those who are self-isolating) where we need to deliver any parcel that won’t fit through your letterbox, we will place your item at your door. Having knocked on your door, we will then step aside to a safe distance while you retrieve your item. This will ensure your item is delivered securely rather than being left outside.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Totally this. Joe public cannot get tested, if you have symptoms, and self isolate but not tested, how will you know if you actually had it. Ridiculous. Also the government needs to grow some balls and stop advising but start ordering what you can and cannot do, especially regarding pubs, restaurants etc who currently cannot claim on insurance.

You have answered your own question with the last 5 words... Taking ownership by the government, means taking financial responsibility.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I would have thought the more at risk you are the more you would use your own initiative for self preservation and isolate yourself, do you really need to be told!

Agreed, my family will be self isolating from this weekend, unfortunately the selfish ***** who have stripped the shops of all necessary supplies and booked all the shopping slots for the next 3 weeks have made it very difficult for us!

D

Deleted member 22389

Went to the small co-op, surface wipes, and everything else to do with cleaning including bars of soap gone. It does feel a bit weird outside. Always thinking about what I touch now and trying not to touch face and then making sure to wash hands when I get back.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
So the full payment was due on the Villa for our Orlando holiday in mid-May, I thought I better check with my travel insurance that it's covered in the event if the Flights are still cancelled.

It isn't!, Neither is the cost of the theme park tickets if they are still closed. (Although I'm guessing the Theme parks will offer a refund) So I've had to cancel the Villa and then see nearer the time whether we can go if not. If everything is open then I'll book something in early May!

For the Car and tickets I've checked and they can be amended for later in the year, thinking of October half term time to switch to if we can't go in May.

So for anyone who is meant to be travelling in the next couple of months, check your travel insurance to make sure you are covered for what you expect you are. You maybe surprised.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
A straw clutching question.

Having just looked at the Met Office's long range forecast, for the UK.
They say we're in for a pretty settled 4 weeks of decent whether with slowly rising temperatures.

Does that impact on us going forward, in any way?
Be great if we could go down the pub

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So the full payment was due on the Villa for our Orlando holiday in mid-May, I thought I better check with my travel insurance that it's covered in the event if the Flights are still cancelled.

It isn't!, Neither is the cost of the theme park tickets if they are still closed. (Although I'm guessing the Theme parks will offer a refund) So I've had to cancel the Villa and then see nearer the time whether we can go if not. If everything is open then I'll book something in early May!

For the Car and tickets I've checked and they can be amended for later in the year, thinking of October half term time to switch to if we can't go in May.

So for anyone who is meant to be travelling in the next couple of months, check your travel insurance to make sure you are covered for what you expect you are. You maybe surprised.

Also important if anybody has annual multi-trip travel insurance to check to see if they can renew, ours runs out on 30 March and the company will not renew it and nobody is taking on new business.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A scientist on Sky News just then felt that Europe/UK would be suffering from COVID-19 for circa 18 months, until a vaccine is created and widely taken.

This is as a result of the now widespread containment/suppression strategy.

Jan 30, 2008
You used to be vaguely amusing Das, what do you actually get out of this these days? Seems a bit sad mate if I’m honest (sorry). I know someone who knows you and says you’re a decent bloke and the account is a wind up by your own confession, but maybe with all this going on now is not the time for it.

Send my regards to him , you could always put me on ignore though , stay safe
Regards
DF

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just heard the news that Tom Hanks has recovered from the Coronavirus and is now resting in a house in Queensland.
I'm so glad of this news, as other normal people don't seem to get a look in ???

I was heartened by Trump testing negative for COVID-19, and going on about it at several of his press conferences. A very important person.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
A scientist on Sky News just then felt that Europe/UK would be suffering from COVID-19 for circa 18 months, until a vaccine is created and widely taken.

Think that is fairly obvious.

One thing I'm struggling to understand. They've fast tracked a generic vaccine and given to a group of people in the US but they are saying it will be several months before they know if it is effective and then won't be able to produce for 12 months+

1) Surely if these are fit and healthy people and they are exposed to a 'contaminated' environment then why wouldn't they know in days (certainly if it didn't work)
2) Why, if it worked does it take so long to produce in volume?

Any ideas?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

This is as a result of the now widespread containment/suppression strategy.

Can see the suppression strategy working for a bit and then failing with a second wave, in the end we'll be back with the herd immunity plan. Unless there is a miracle vaccine relatively quick...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Think that is fairly obvious.

One thing I'm struggling to understand. They've fast tracked a generic vaccine and given to a group of people in the US but they are saying it will be several months before they know if it is effective and then won't be able to produce for 12 months+

1) Surely if these are fit and healthy people and they are exposed to a 'contaminated' environment then why wouldn't they know in days (certainly if it didn't work)
2) Why, if it worked does it take so long to produce in volume?

Any ideas?

This explains all: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/17/when-will-a-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports