Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
To calm this country down, today we need an announcement.
The budget is to stop and an emergency budget put in place.
The money announced in the budget and borrowing at the low interest rates should be put into helping people and companies directly affected by the virus to the tune of at least £500 billion.
This is for zero contracts, self employed and places like pubs, restaurants, theatres etc.
Statutory sick pay should be raised to about £130 per week as it is in most of Europe.
Brexit should be halted for now and use the millions being spent on that and the 22000 civil servants working on it to work on distributing the money in a quick and fair system.
This is the banking crisis part 2 and Johnson needs to own it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He brought Cummings in, so yes, he is responsible. We know they’re not listening to senior civil servants.

arent they? isnt the CMO civil service?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
It suggests that the rich and famous have greater access to testing.

Totally this. Joe public cannot get tested, if you have symptoms, and self isolate but not tested, how will you know if you actually had it. Ridiculous. Also the government needs to grow some balls and stop advising but start ordering what you can and cannot do, especially regarding pubs, restaurants etc who currently cannot claim on insurance.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The money announced in the budget and borrowing at the low interest rates should be put into helping people and companies directly affected by the virus to the tune of at least £500 billion.
This is for zero contracts, self employed and places like pubs, restaurants, theatres etc.
Statutory sick pay should be raised to about £130 per week as it is in most of Europe.
Brexit should be halted for now and use the millions being spent on that and the 22000 civil servants working on it to work on distributing the money in a quick and fair system.

i like that this is a plan.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
So, following Boris’ advice for the vulnerable, not to go out and get their shopping delivered, I tried to do a home delivery with Sainsbury’s and there are no delivery slots showing for the NEXT THREE WEEKS. How the **** am I supposed to stay indoors and isolate if I can’t get supplies of food, etc...

As I suggested earlier on this thread, the first 2 hours of shop and bank etc. trading each morning should be made over-70s only, with everyone else told to stay away..

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Worse than the banking crisis because health panic is closing economies down that are not systemically ****ed by dodgy, greed-led financial instruments. The G7 & G20 are equally as important as the WHO. The major problem is the ****ing clown across the water who’s now floundering because his deity-status Wall Street is in free fall and his hotel businesses are ****ed. That **** really cannot think past his own self interest - especially when he is absolutely wedded to the belief that’s what’s best for him is going to make America great again.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
You used to be vaguely amusing Das, what do you actually get out of this these days? Seems a bit sad mate if I’m honest (sorry). I know someone who knows you and says you’re a decent bloke and the account is a wind up by your own confession, but maybe with all this going on now is not the time for it.

Says a lot about someone when they're acting the way he is now, on this thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A straw clutching question.

Having just looked at the Met Office's long range forecast, for the UK.
They say we're in for a pretty settled 4 weeks of decent whether with slowly rising temperatures.

Does that impact on us going forward, in any way?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Lovely down the seafront yesterday in the sunshine. Spotted a young woman relaxing on the pebbles, her head gently resting on a six pack of toilet rolls ..... you are no one without a packet of Andrex :smile:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Coronavirus / Covid-19

You used to be vaguely amusing Das, what do you actually get out of this these days? Seems a bit sad mate if I’m honest (sorry). I know someone who knows you and says you’re a decent bloke and the account is a wind up by your own confession, but maybe with all this going on now is not the time for it.

Agree, ban this Pink Fairy clown. Again, why does he always get let back in?

He’s not funny or witty. If this is a wind up account ditto, who cares — it’s the same. Ban both.

Just low grade offensive remarks. At least be capable of dialogue. If he gets his jollies trolling then let him go on reddit or somewhere.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

They say we're in for a pretty settled 4 weeks of decent whether with slowly rising temperatures.

Don’t think so. Italy and Spain have had mild weather for a while.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just heard the news that Tom Hanks has recovered from the Coronavirus and is now resting in a house in Queensland.
I'm so glad of this news, as other normal people don't seem to get a look in ???

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

I have no expertise other than what a German doctor told me here in New Zealand a couple of days ago... he's expecting the virus to slow down in the northern hemisphere as temperatures rise (as per regular flu), but his news was a bit depressing for the locals as they head into autumn and winter.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yea she's still going in... she is worried but feels she has to go in because two other pregnant teachers are still going in :( i didn't know if i was overreacting telling her to not go in. Don't want her risking her job, especially as mine is gradually become dubious.

Well the BBC headline on the government advice ( if you can call it that ! ) included pregnant women avoiding going to places where others are so I'd suggest she has a very good case of not going in. I told the member of my team that's pregnant that she needed to WFH on Friday and not come back into the office until told to do so.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
According to the doctor on the Jeremy Vine show today the virus can live for up to 24 hours on card or paper. Advice was to open the envelope/parcel and bin the wrapping. Then wash hands very well and use gel. Alternatively don’t touch the post for 24 hours. Getting scarier by the day

Royal Mail (quoting Public Health England) have put out a statement.

Public Health England (PHE) has advised that people receiving parcels are not at risk of contracting the coronavirus. From experience with other coronaviruses, we know that these types of viruses don’t survive long on objects, such as letters or parcels. This complements the highly publicised guidance from PHE for people to wash their hands more often than usual using soap and hot water.

https://www.royalmail.com/coronavir...C7jJOLCouMT9XxJiXL4MHM2I02gU099kiF41v3EyqDjT0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports