Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Again, easy to dismiss and clearly ignores the large number for who the efficacy of the vaccine is still unsure...

It's just far too easy to make these glib statements without a thought for those affected.

So we all mask up and hide forever ?

Tell the kids missing an education,
Tell the parents who can’t go to work
Tell the grandparents who can’t see their families in the autumn of their lives and have just suffered two years of solitude.

Society has to get going for a virus with a 97.5 survival rate.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
So we all mask up and hide forever ?

Tell the kids missing an education,
Tell the parents who can’t go to work
Tell the grandparents who can’t see their families in the autumn of their lives and have just suffered two years of solitude.

Society has to get going for a virus with a 97.5 survival rate.

There's two things that really get my goat, people making glib statements and those that go for worse case scenario on everything!

I agree all those things you mention are terrible and a horrible consequence of the pandemic, but don't label me with those, just because I asked people to be a little more thoughtful about what they say, i.e. "driven by kids", (can't they pass it on) and " they're all vaccinated".

As I politely pointed out many kids live with grandparents, who may not be able to have the vaccine, or it may not work as well.

These people shouldn't just be dismissed so easily with sweeping statements.

Yes, life needs to return to normal(ish), but that still means people should be considerate of others who may suffer as a consequence.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
There's two things that really get my goat, people making glib statements and those that go for worse case scenario on everything!

I agree all those things you mention are terrible and a horrible consequence of the pandemic, but don't label me with those, just because I asked people to be a little more thoughtful about what they say, i.e. "driven by kids", (can't they pass it on) and " they're all vaccinated".

As I politely pointed out many kids live with grandparents, who may not be able to have the vaccine, or it may not work as well.

These people shouldn't just be dismissed so easily with sweeping statements.

Yes, life needs to return to normal(ish), but that still means people should be considerate of others who may suffer as a consequence.

I don’t mean to sound glib, but I would have thought the amount of school children living with grandparents over 75 is quite small ?.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Any idea what the new case numbers are today ? the BBC is still showing yesterday's numbers ?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
..and all the other people that are ill. Where do you draw the line?

Stopping well people going about their normal day to day business is madness

What are you on about, who is stopping anyone doing anything?

All I pointed out / asked, was that people should have a bit of empathy for those who may still be concerned!

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
What are you on about, who is stopping anyone doing anything?

All I pointed out / asked, was that people should have a bit of empathy for those who may still be concerned!

You are wanting well people to wear masks and keep 1m apart or have I missed represented you? If so I apologise

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
You are wanting well people to wear masks and keep 1m apart or have I missed represented you? If so I apologise

Yes - You have misrepresented me completely.

I probably shouldn't have bothered, but I picked up a few posts back someone saying "cases are mainly being driven by children", as if children don't pass on infection, and simply pointed out that many children, who are "driving" infections, live with their grandparents, or vice versa. This comment then prompted another poster to say of said grandparents, "who have been vaccinated", again, I politely pointed out that not all grandparents would have been vaccinated, or that the vaccine would possibly not offer them full protection.

Like I said, I probably shouldn't have bothered, as I am clearly fighting a losing battle and am maybe too touchy on the subject - however, while I understand the need to get back to normality I would just like people to think a little about others before posting sweeping generalisations.

Rant over - apology accepted! :lol:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/03/we-might-not-be-over-the-worst-scientists-warn-as-covid-case-numbers-stay-high

Grim forecasts from leading epidemiologists on what the next few months have in store according to the Guardian.
Those aren't forecasts, they are worst case scenarios. The Guardian has persuaded four different experts to make a statement of what might go wrong, and repackaged them to try and frighten people who are still afraid of coronavirus into believing that they are all likely. Do not fall for the Guardian's scare tactics.

I think the bloke complaining that numbers of vaccination have dropped significantly now that most people have been jabbed, is perhaps the worst. He could at least explain why he wants children to be jabbed. (Unless of course he did explain and the journalist left it out.)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Those aren't forecasts, they are worst case scenarios. The Guardian has persuaded four different experts to make a statement of what might go wrong, and repackaged them to try and frighten people who are still afraid of coronavirus into believing that they are all likely. Do not fall for the Guardian's scare tactics.

I think the bloke complaining that numbers of vaccination have dropped significantly now that most people have been jabbed, is perhaps the worst. He could at least explain why he wants children to be jabbed. (Unless of course he did explain and the journalist left it out.)

The Guardian is the mouthpiece of indi sage, not sure can really take it seriously

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I love the way Crodo puts one of his doom and gloom stories on here, then you two immediately jump in and rubbish it.

The 3 of you now have your very own echo chamber, enjoy!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
An echo chamber in which you have posted more in the past 2 weeks or so?

Yes I post in this forum, with things that concern me, whereas you and your erstwhile colleague appear to have taken it upon yourselves as the moderators of people's opinions, jumping in on them as soon as posted.

Its really little wonder hardly anyone drops by this way anymore possibly for fear of being ganged up on and shot down!

For some, this ain't over yet!

Edit: I see D’Artagnan has ridden in too, with his antipodal view to Crodo.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I see that NZ has now dropped it's elimination strategy with a view to, if successfully vaccinating 90% of the population, ending lockdowns for good unless their health service becomes at risk of being overwhelmed. With Australia already moving in that direction lets hope this is the end of lockdowns to deal with this particular virus and we can move to less restrictive measures to stop the spread and keep cases and deaths down as much as possible.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I see that NZ has now dropped it's elimination strategy with a view to, if successfully vaccinating 90% of the population, ending lockdowns for good unless their health service becomes at risk of being overwhelmed. With Australia already moving in that direction lets hope this is the end of lockdowns to deal with this particular virus and we can move to less restrictive measures to stop the spread and keep cases and deaths down as much as possible.

Where is this new wave of Covid you predicted a few weeks ago?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here