Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
thats fine as long as you're not one of the few thousand.....i know 6 people who have pegged out within two weeks of having the second AZ vax , all reasonably fit and active but in their late 60's , i haven't had mine yet and frankly , i don't want it.

We're kill one Australia's worth of Covid deaths every week give or take

At the end of the day with 80% vaccinated and vaccines that are top side 80% effective you will get still get a lot of deaths with a high level of infection.

UK and Australia are both accepting CV will be endemic, one isn't really that bothered about public heath, one is

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
all six died from strokes and there was no pathology or autopsies done , one of them a friend of 30 years aged 70 , one of them a neighbour in my street , one of them the mother of the landlady of our local pub and one the guy who takes us on wine tours when we go down to Margaret River , and 2 parents of friends who i have never met.

but carry on being a funny **** eh....or a smart arse , i think the first one suits you better.

So how do you know it was the vaccine that killed them?

I am fed up of hearing these sort of stories all over social media of someone who knows someone, etc.

My condolences to the families of the deceased.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
We're kill one Australia's worth of Covid deaths every week give or take

At the end of the day with 80% vaccinated and vaccines that are top side 80% effective you will get still get a lot of deaths with a high level of infection.

UK and Australia are both accepting CV will be endemic, one isn't really that bothered about public heath, one is

purely political , the LNP capitalist state ...NSW has been hell bent on not locking down and has slagged off the Labour states for closing their borders , The Liberals are focused mainly on the economy , the trouble is W.A is a Labour state and has no covid , closed borders and quarantining in place , mining companies are flouting the quarantine by flying workers into northern WA via Darwin where they are mixing with W.A locals , they are literally playing Russian roulette and the Federal govt. is turning a blind eye because these mine workers pay fortunes in tax , a Melbourne millionaire flew into Perth via Darwin to watch the AFL final last weekend , he was arrested with 2 others from Melbourne and they are talking about an 18 month jail sentence for them to make an example .....meanwhile our P.M has pissed off to America for a jolly up with Rupert Murdoch , Bill Gates , Biden and just about anyone who will see him . so if you think Aus cares about it's peoples health i would question that .

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
So how do you know it was the vaccine that killed them?

I am fed up of hearing these sort of stories all over social media of someone who knows someone, etc.

My condolences to the families of the deceased.

can't be sure either way , the 4 i knew personally were all fit , well and active ...i have hypertension , osteoporosis in both knees and both shoulders and have recovered from cancer , i hardly ever get sick , i don't want the jab but i know if i ever want to get out of Aus again then i'm going to have to have it , i have looked for recognised side effects on the US , UK and AUS govt. websites , there are plenty but a large percentage of covid carriers are asymptomatic..... you have to admit it's a head fvck.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Take a look at the likes of Spain, France, Italy. They are still taking CV seriously and have mitigations in place and cases continue to fall.

UK government strategy is simple, vax like crazy, infect everyone and hope for the best. Its a big gamble, best case we just lose a few thousand who didn't need to die; worse case new variant, NHS overwhelmed and more....

What’s the comparison on percent tests that are positive

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

My situation might be different to yours as I have worked right through this as normal.

But now I am double vexed I am living my life as normal and don’t really give the old “ rona” a second thought.

Being double vaxed is as good as it gets at the moment I don’t really see what more we can do about it unless we want to change are whole way of life…which I am not prepared to do.

Surly if you feel vulnerable be careful but it’s been ok for me to go to work everyday it should be ok for me to go to the pictures. Maybe I am just selfish?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
My situation might be different to yours as I have worked right through this as normal.

But now I am double vexed I am living my life as normal and don’t really give the old “ rona” a second thought.

Being double vaxed is as good as it gets at the moment I don’t really see what more we can do about it unless we want to change are whole way of life…which I am not prepared to do.

Surly if you feel vulnerable be careful but it’s been ok for me to go to work everyday it should be ok for me to go to the pictures. Maybe I am just selfish?

I don't think you are selfish, I just think we are not out of the woods yet. If we emerge from this winter relatively unscathed then yes, life can return to pretty much normal pre 2020, but we need to get through this winter and there are lots of cases and it doesn't take very long at all for us to get into real trouble. People wearing masks in crowded spaces, such as cinemas, concourses at football matches, busy shopping centres etc is not a massive sacrifice for anyone, or trying to socially distance where possible when out and about, these small measures could make a real difference.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I don't think you are selfish, I just think we are not out of the woods yet. If we emerge from this winter relatively unscathed then yes, life can return to pretty much normal pre 2020, but we need to get through this winter and there are lots of cases and it doesn't take very long at all for us to get into real trouble. People wearing masks in crowded spaces, such as cinemas, concourses at football matches, busy shopping centres etc is not a massive sacrifice for anyone, or trying to socially distance where possible when out and about, these small measures could make a real difference.

We have two off work at the moment both double jabbed both positive one Is not well not in hospital but feeling pretty rank and the other feels fine, now if we didn’t know about Covid would we be taking his illness so seriously or be joking about old Frank’s got man flu ?

I don’t mean to sound glib about this and do appreciate that a virus can kill the old and vulnerable and in some cases can unfortunately take the young and fit, but with the brilliance of our scientists and health service we have the opportunity to go back to normality.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
We have two off work at the moment both double jabbed both positive one Is not well not in hospital but feeling pretty rank and the other feels fine, now if we didn’t know about Covid would we be taking his illness so seriously or be joking about old Frank’s got man flu ?

I don’t mean to sound glib about this and do appreciate that a virus can kill the old and vulnerable and in some cases can unfortunately take the young and fit, but with the brilliance of our scientists and health service we have the opportunity to go back to normality.

Absolutely but in my opinion that normality should begin next Spring if/when we get through what is going to be an extremely challenging winter. This virus is still less than 2 years old and as good as the vaccines are we have not been through sa winter with them yet and seen what the effects are so we shouldn't be throwing away all measures, we should stay cautious, we know things can change very quickly. Much rather have some of the less intrusive measures reintroduced and kept through winter than a spiralling in cases, NHS again at the poot of being overwhelmed and a full lockdown.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Absolutely but in my opinion that normality should begin next Spring if/when we get through what is going to be an extremely challenging winter. This virus is still less than 2 years old and as good as the vaccines are we have not been through sa winter with them yet and seen what the effects are so we shouldn't be throwing away all measures, we should stay cautious, we know things can change very quickly. Much rather have some of the less intrusive measures reintroduced and kept through winter than a spiralling in cases, NHS again at the poot of being overwhelmed and a full lockdown.
There's a bit of a logical disconnect about thhis. It's suggested, quite possibly correctly, that last winter's large scale isolation meant that diseases did not spread and this winter will be worse. So how will another winter of self-isolation help? Won't it just push the problem down to the third winter, and make it worse as well?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
There's a bit of a logical disconnect about thhis. It's suggested, quite possibly correctly, that last winter's large scale isolation meant that diseases did not spread and this winter will be worse. So how will another winter of self-isolation help? Won't it just push the problem down to the third winter, and make it worse as well?

It will yes if we require another full on lockdown like last winter, which may be the case if we have no mitigation measures and bury our heads in the sand until the last possible moment like we did last Autumn/Winter, and then lockdown may be the only place to go. If we have sensible measures like bringing back the legal requirement to wear masks in indoor public settings and keep the public on notice to socially distance wear possible 1m+ and good hygiene measures, working from home etc then I don't think we will need another lockdown or fire break.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It will yes if we require another full on lockdown like last winter, which may be the case if we have no mitigation measures and bury our heads in the sand until the last possible moment like we did last Autumn/Winter, and then lockdown may be the only place to go. If we have sensible measures like bringing back the legal requirement to wear masks in indoor public settings and keep the public on notice to socially distance wear possible 1m+ and good hygiene measures, working from home etc then I don't think we will need another lockdown or fire break.
Scotland are doing all that, and the evidence suggests that the effect of these restrictions on case numbers is very small.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Masks cost nothing and removing the mandate has increased public complacency

The fact is most nations around us have falling cases, these places have migitations in place. In the last 2 months France cases are down 75%, Italy down 33%, Spain down 92%, here they're up about 10%.

We may get away with this, but we leave ourselves little safety margin for the unexpected. If we have another lockdown we are really really screwed

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Masks cost nothing and removing the mandate has increased public complacency

The fact is most nations around us have falling cases, these places have migitations in place. In the last 2 months France cases are down 75%, Italy down 33%, Spain down 92%, here they're up about 10%.

We may get away with this, but we leave ourselves little safety margin for the unexpected. If we have another lockdown we are really really screwed

Why do you keep ignoring testing levels ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here