Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Only way to ensure full jab sign-up IMHO is to make it proof-of-entry to McDonalds and Burger King. Only way low IQ cntz might finally get the good news. Worst case scenario they might be forced - largely against their will - into a healthier diet

You’ve not visited supermarkets recently then

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
This winter is going to be bad regards seasonal flu and other respiratory illnesses. On there own you can deal with them however being unvaccinated and getting both COVID and the flu is going to be biblical. Things will not end well for the unvaccinated this winter ……

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think thats unlikely as many will have natural immunity, which some would argue is stronger than the vaccine, having already been exposed.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/cdc-urges-labs-covid-tests-025958593.html

Will the U.K. follow?

Seems pretty important to separate as much as possible.
It's certain that the people who hope for further lockdowns to prevent flu, will want this to happen. They will probably be able to get vast numbers of flu cases if they can persuade enough people to get tested, and with the huge numbers who die each year with flu or pneumonia on their death certificate (over 100,000 each year in this country) there are ample seeds for a new pandemic-panic.

Here's hoping not!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...d-hospitalisations-tested-positive-admission/

More than half of Covid hospitalisations are patients who only tested positive after admission, leaked data reveal.

The figures suggest vast numbers are being classed as hospitalised by Covid when they were admitted with other ailments, with the virus picked up by routine testing.

Experts said it meant the national statistics, published daily on the government website and frequently referred to by ministers, may far overstate the levels of pressures on the NHS.

The leaked data – covering all NHS trusts in England – show that, as of last Thursday, just 44 per cent of patients classed as being hospitalised with Covid had tested positive by the time they were admitted.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...d-hospitalisations-tested-positive-admission/

More than half of Covid hospitalisations are patients who only tested positive after admission, leaked data reveal.

The figures suggest vast numbers are being classed as hospitalised by Covid when they were admitted with other ailments, with the virus picked up by routine testing.

Experts said it meant the national statistics, published daily on the government website and frequently referred to by ministers, may far overstate the levels of pressures on the NHS.

The leaked data – covering all NHS trusts in England – show that, as of last Thursday, just 44 per cent of patients classed as being hospitalised with Covid had tested positive by the time they were admitted.

With another telling graphic.

4BE1B3D9-45FF-41D1-9BF6-DE93D42DC5EE.png

The Delta Variant doomsday modelling (hospitals overwhelmed) in April, May, June, July and counting, so far hasn’t happened.

The vax programme is still an incredible game changer in the UK and elsewhere.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

said before, data out of NHS is shite, they just dont have sensible, centralised, standards of data collection. each hospital (not even trust level) will be following own process and reporting through 3-4 layers before ONS get the data.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unless we have evidence to prove he is right or wrong then we cannot form an opinion.

What we do know is that the hospital figures over the next month or so will give us an idea as to what is going on out there.

Not really…..what Peston was ranting about makes a difference of less than 1% to the published numbers as things currently stand.

This, however, is more interesting (DT extract)

Exclusive: Over half of Covid hospitalisations tested positive after admission
Leaked data suggest vast numbers classed as being hospitalised by the virus when they were admitted with other ailments
By
Laura Donnelly,
HEALTH EDITOR and
Harry Yorke,
WHITEHALL EDITOR
26 July 2021 • 9:45pm

Experts said the news meant the national statistics may far overstate the levels of pressures on the NHS

The majority of cases were not detected until patients underwent standard Covid tests, carried out on everyone admitted to hospital for any reason.

Overall, 56 per cent of Covid hospitalisations fell into this category, the data, seen by The Telegraph, show.

Crucially, this group does not distinguish between those admitted because of severe illness, later found to be caused by the virus, and those in hospital for different reasons who might otherwise never have known that they had picked it up.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Not really…..what Peston was ranting about makes a difference of less than 1% to the published numbers as things currently stand.

Leaked data suggest vast numbers classed as being hospitalised by the virus when they were admitted with other ailments
By
Laura Donnelly,
HEALTH EDITOR and
Harry Yorke,
WHITEHALL EDITOR

Experts said the news meant the national statistics may far overstate the levels of pressures on the NHS

The majority of cases were not detected until patients underwent standard Covid tests, carried out on everyone admitted to hospital for any reason.

Overall, 56 per cent of Covid hospitalisations fell into this category, the data, seen by The Telegraph, show.

Crucially, this group does not distinguish between those admitted because of severe illness, later found to be caused by the virus, and those in hospital for different reasons who might otherwise never have known that they had picked it up.

This has been suspected for nearly the whole pandemic but anyone who said it was branded an Alt right anti vaxer.

A very good friend of mine works in the hospital admission department at a Sussex hospital and she has been saying it all along, not that it matters to the sick and dying, but it has been falsifying the figures.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sixth consecutive day where cases have dropped. Cases are plumetting now.

[MENTION=35904]A1X[/MENTION] and others - you must be so relieved that you were wrong about Freedom Day being a disaster?

I wasn't aware two weeks had passed since "Freedom Day" already?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Australia's vaccine rollout has been "a colossal failure" because the government failed to buy enough vaccines so its borders are therefore likely to remain closed until at least early 2022, former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull has said.

Mr Turnbull said the Australian government, led by under-fire Prime Minister Scott Morrison, had failed to buy enough vaccines, only securing enough AstraZeneca shots even though there was considerable hesitancy over that vaccine and not buying enough alternatives.

"It's the biggest failure of public administration I can recall," said Mr Turnbull, who served as prime minister from 2015-2018 before being ousted by Mr Morrison in a party room coup. Only 16 percent of Australians aged over 16 years so far fully vaccinated.

"It was a colossal failure and the problem is you can't wind the clock back and fix what should have been done last year. The very reason we are locked down - which is so frustrating when so many other parts of the world are opening up - is simply because our government failed to buy enough vaccines," he told the BBC.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sounds like you are clinging on to the hope that numbers go up again just to prove your point :shrug:

Of course I'm not hoping people get ill, that's an outrageous assumption you're making about me and frankly bang out of order. But to claim that this proves concerns about "Freedom Day" were unfounded is not only offensive but also stupid.

As to the "point" I was trying to make, I believe (like the majority of the UK population still do) that the unlocking came too early (I was always of the opinion it should have waited two more weeks for the schools to close, removing the main vector of community transmission) and the mask mandate should have continued until further notice. I still believe both of those and am entitled to that opinion, and I don't believe there has been anything yet which proves I am wrong to hold those beliefs.

Let's not forget a sizeable number of people two weeks ago (the accepted lag time between catching and cases appearing) were isolating after being "pinged", which will have had a fairly large impact on the figures.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Of course I'm not hoping people get ill, that's an outrageous assumption you're making about me and frankly bang out of order. But to claim that this proves concerns about "Freedom Day" were unfounded is not only offensive but also stupid.

As to the "point" I was trying to make, I believe (like the majority of the UK population still do) that the unlocking came too early (I was always of the opinion it should have waited two more weeks for the schools to close, removing the main vector of community transmission) and the mask mandate should have continued until further notice. I still believe both of those and am entitled to that opinion, and I don't believe there has been anything yet which proves I am wrong to hold those beliefs.

Let's not forget a sizeable number of people two weeks ago (the accepted lag time between catching and cases appearing) were isolating after being "pinged", which will have had a fairly large impact on the figures.

If you write a sarky one-liner it's very likely to get misinterpreted.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

By
Laura Donnelly,
HEALTH EDITOR and
Harry Yorke,
WHITEHALL EDITOR

Does the same logic apply to those who actually died within 28 days of a positive test?
Some died BECAUSE of Covid
Some died WITH Covid
Some died, despite RECOVERING from Covid.
Does the date distinguish?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here