Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tice is a bellend, I am not sure if he is anti vax - but it comes over as it.

Devi sridhar on the other end of the spectrum seem to talk down the vaccine as much as possible - complete idiots.

The problem with the Vaccine passport is it plays right into the Ickes of the worlds hands

Vaccine passports where a conspiracy theory and laughed at when they mentioned it a year ago, now here we are

I always thought of them as a sensible way forward, not forever and definitely not compulsory, and I’ve heard balanced discussions about them throughout the last 16 months.

I haven’t heard one sensible person saying they should be compulsory.

Whilst there are dangerous variants around, why should an unvaxed covid denier threaten the health of the compliant rest of us or those medically unable to have the vax eg on a flight? The airport, plane or football stadium is private property. Freedoms/rights come with responsibilites.

Anything sensible to get the world and life moving again.

Imho.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't like the guy, I won't hide that. But pretty shocked by that...

I always thought of them as a sensible way forward, not forever and definitely not compulsory, and I’ve heard balanced discussions about them throughout the last 16 months.

I haven’t heard one sensible person saying they should be compulsory.

Whilst there are dangerous variants around, why should an unvaxed covid denier threaten the health of the compliant rest of us or those medically unable to have the vax eg on a flight? The airport, plane or football stadium is private property. Freedoms/rights come with responsibilites.

Anything sensible to get the world and life moving again.

Imho.

I haven’t got a massive issue with them in certain settings, it’s just the way it’s done and been announced.

How many times over the past year have they said they won’t happen?

Even the logic of how they use them is flawed, why not the underground - that ticks a lot more boxes than a 20k cricket match in the summer?

I don’t think they will happen - I think there have seen the fall off in the up take

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I haven’t got a massive issue with them in certain settings, it’s just the way it’s done and been announced.

How many times over the past year have they said they won’t happen?

Even the logic of how they use them is flawed, why not the underground - that ticks a lot more boxes than a 20k cricket match in the summer?

I don’t think they will happen - I think there have seen the fall off in the up take

You even get the vaccine minister not that long ago deriding the very idea …they (the politicians) don’t do themselves very many favours

Off topic ..gorgeous day ..but knackering ..now rehydrating

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If
Contingency
Uncertainty
Suggest
Lot of uncertainty
Gear-change not a handbrake
Etc…….

….even an article with a scaremongering headline is littered with qualifications.

It says little more than we might need to reimpose mask-wearing for a bit (which I’d say the majority are still doing anyway).

and no attributable quote to anyone from SAGE, who havent convened formally since 7th July. i remember when The Independent was one of the papers with standards. :down:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
and no attributable quote to anyone from SAGE, who havent convened formally since 7th July. i remember when The Independent was one of the papers with standards. :down:

Aye…Indie was one of those that didn’t necessarily go for the clickbait headlines and could be relied upon for balanced views…..I gave up reading a while ago because that changed

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The requirement for fully vaccinated Britons returning from France to quarantine will not apply to one of the country’s Indian Ocean territories, despite it being a hotspot for the Beta variant.

Of course rest of France on our Amber plus list (quarantine req'd) despite having almost no beta variant, only Reunion, yes in the Indian Ocean!!

Has Johnson dumped Mustique?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1416856178617892866

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Any idea if that's related to reduced testing, as schools break up?

No drop in testing as far as reported numbers are concerned. 1,038,954 tests carried out yesterday according to the official government website. About 17% higher than the day before and slightly higher than the rolling 7 day average.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
No drop in testing as far as reported numbers are concerned. 1,038,954 tests carried out yesterday according to the official government website. About 17% higher than the day before and slightly higher than the rolling 7 day average.

So, a genuine drop in the proportion of positive tests? Sounds promising.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Another country imposes the requirement.

2186E228-C077-4F79-A2BC-049BF4A3269C.png

Should focus the minds of folk who gain their ‘knowledge’ from Dr Facebook.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If overall positives are up but at a high in 20-29 year olds that would suggest some progress.

Do vaccinations lead to more people who would have been ill being asymptomatic, hence giving a positive test, or does the body just not let the virus in?

Yoda

English & European
If overall positives are up but at a high in 20-29 year olds that would suggest some progress.

Do vaccinations lead to more people who would have been ill being asymptomatic, hence giving a positive test, or does the body just not let the virus in?

I think a PCR might show as a positive just due to how much they amplify it, even if the virus hasn't infected them and the vaccine/immune system has done it's job.

It's the one area I feel science & epidemiology hasn't been at it's greatest throughout this pandemic.

We really need to start looking at number of symptomatic cases (this would normally be a true case), asymptomatic cases with higher viral load as they can still spread it, this would normally be class as just an infection) and people who test positive but have low viral loads due to an immune response (would normally be ignored as either).

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think a PCR might show as a positive just due to how much they amplify it, even if the virus hasn't infected them and the vaccine/immune system has done it's job.

It's the one area I feel science & epidemiology hasn't been at it's greatest throughout this pandemic.

We really need to start looking at number of symptomatic cases (this would normally be a true case), asymptomatic cases with higher viral load as they can still spread it, this would normally be class as just an infection) and people who test positive but have low viral loads due to an immune response (would normally be ignored as either).

Must confess until Covid came along being asymptomatic with an illness never occurred to me but one place I just looked claimed 50% of flu cases are such. Won't link as I can't speak for the accuracy but it would seem to be a thing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

think you're asking for something we dont have tech for, at least not at scale. its one thing to detect presence of a virus, quite another to measure the amount of virus, and yet another to judge symptomatic state (which can change). it would at least take a more complex process.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports