Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Basically HMGOV has decided to throw the science under a bus and go for herd immunity, the policy they first went for. Totally and criminally reckless

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Basically HMGOV has decided to throw the science under a bus and go for herd immunity, the policy they first went for. Totally and criminally reckless

They have the insurance policy of the vaccination programme to allow them to do this, which they didn't last March - but we all know sometimes insurance fails to pay out!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Surely those two articles (one of which you posted twice) are arguments in favour of total lockdown, not in favour of wearing of masks. I don't see how someone immuno-compromised is going to be much better off with cases rising while masks are compulsory rather than cases rising while masks are not compulsory.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Surely those two articles (one of which you posted twice) are arguments in favour of total lockdown, not in favour of wearing of masks. I don't see how someone immuno-compromised is going to be much better off with cases rising while masks are compulsory rather than cases rising while masks are not compulsory.

My point is, and I’ve probably made this more than once now too, if that is ok by you - is that the glorifying of Freedom Day is just the final nail in the coffin (possibly literally) for some now, rightly or wrongly, too scared to go out!

I am sure Freedom Day will be treated with scenes similar to those seen in London yesterday - maybe Boris could set aside a Bank Holiday for it as we didn’t winThe Euros!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

They have the insurance policy of the vaccination programme to allow them to do this, which they didn't last March - but we all know sometimes insurance fails to pay out!

What do you suggest as an alternative?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Such is life sadly. All I can say is these people need to get their vaccines and practice good hygiene, just as they will have been doing for years to avoid influenza.

Life must go on. For a vast majority of us we can finally be free again. We can finally treat covid like just another bug - unfortunately one that will threaten the lives of those with weak immune systems, to add to the others, but thankfully there are effective vaccines that can greatly reduce the risk just like they do with flu.

The immunosuppressed fully understand their risks, but don’t like to have others rubbing their nose in it like Braveheart... Freedom Day!!!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

For Johnson so far he has been responsible for ten of thousands of unnecessary deaths, but his base have convinced themselves he has done as well as anyone else would have done.

Another roll of the dice.

For him the worse that can happen is he hits the US speech circuit earlier than planned

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don’t give a **** about what everyone else is thinking or doing, I will continue to wear a mask outside the house.
I used to think that the Chinese/Japanese who wore them were a bit odd - I will be joining them.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The Chinese wore masks over a justified fear of pollution.

The Japanese culture is more about wearing a mask when they are ill to protect others. That would be great for us to adopt even in a post-covid world, for all airbourne bugs.

Wearing masks generally will have to be phased out. It is symbolic of the dystopian year of 2020. It is not good for mental health. Until we are fully out of this I applaud those who continue to wear them out of choice, but hopefully after this winter they will be 100% unnecessary, unless we adopt the Japanese approach to mask wearing which would be great.

I'm not sure I've ever read a more confused post - are you Boris Johnson's successor to Dominic Cummings, as you appear to have government policy making down to a fine art?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The Chinese wore masks over a justified fear of pollution.

The Japanese culture is more about wearing a mask when they are ill to protect others. That would be great for us to adopt even in a post-covid world, for all airbourne bugs.

Wearing masks generally will have to be phased out. It is symbolic of the dystopian year of 2020. It is not good for mental health. Until we are fully out of this I applaud those who continue to wear them out of choice, but hopefully after this winter they will be 100% unnecessary, unless we adopt the Japanese approach to mask wearing which would be great.

These bits...

So are masks great or Orwelian, make your mind up?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So when will we be back under restrictions then do we reckon? I reckon 4th October looks on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here