Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Hmm..just reading DSR’s post again ..I think he was asking for a figure that should be expected (on advice from modellers?) whereas you mentioned what’s acceptable ..two different things?

I assume the 100k is from modellers? :shrug:
So far they’ve been higher than actual (I could be wrong) ..so maybe he’s happy to take a high figure ..hoping that if it’s say 80k it’s seen as less than feared
:shrug:

A bit like last year Patrick Vallance said 20,000 deaths would be a good result - that didn’t go so well...!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1413743833712574467[/tweet]

I'm sure this therefore is a coincidence...

[tweet]1413954689805307909[/tweet]

Yoda

English & European
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] beat me to it.

I’m sure [MENTION=1933]Yoda[/MENTION] mentioned it the other day

It’s been in the press as well.

Not me, but a few weeks ago I did say that I never bothered downloading the app due to my phone being able to pick up a blue tooth device 10 meters away through 3 walls (due to the layout of our flat) and there was no way I was going to have it saying I had been in close contact and telling me to isolate when that person could be in a separate building to where I was (be it pub, a shop, someone's house, etc).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No it doesn’t...

A fifth of Britons believe a 10pm curfew should be enforced even after the Covid pandemic is over, according to a new poll.

The poll also shows a majority believe that face masks on public transport and social distancing in pubs and theatres should remain "until Covid is under control globally".

Nineteen per cent feel a 10pm curfew should become a permanent fixture of policy regardless of the virus, according to research carried out by Ipsos Mori for the Economist.

Ministers introduced such a curfew last September amid rising virus infection rates, and it was not repealed until the end of the second lockdown two months later.

Face coverings in shops and on public transport are to become a matter of personal choice as part of "Freedom Day", when legal restrictions around social contact are lifted on July 19.

However, 70 per cent of those surveyed said the use of masks in these settings should remain in place for a further month beyond the reopening, while 40 per cent believe they should remain in place permanently.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
A fifth of Britons believe a 10pm curfew should be enforced even after the Covid pandemic is over, according to a new poll.

The poll also shows a majority believe that face masks on public transport and social distancing in pubs and theatres should remain "until Covid is under control globally".

Nineteen per cent feel a 10pm curfew should become a permanent fixture of policy regardless of the virus, according to research carried out by Ipsos Mori for the Economist.

Ministers introduced such a curfew last September amid rising virus infection rates, and it was not repealed until the end of the second lockdown two months later.

Face coverings in shops and on public transport are to become a matter of personal choice as part of "Freedom Day", when legal restrictions around social contact are lifted on July 19.

However, 70 per cent of those surveyed said the use of masks in these settings should remain in place for a further month beyond the reopening, while 40 per cent believe they should remain in place permanently.

OK, you used the clever phraseology of "people" which I bit on - Yes "people" may want a curfew, currently 19%, so a minority of "people".

I also know from my own experience of completing a recent Ipsos Mori poll that the questions can be a little loaded.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

So headline could equally be ‘80% of people don’t think a curfew is necessary’ ? Not unreasonable that 1 in 5 would think a 10pm curfew might help ease a load of social issues……I can think of several that would vote that way.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So headline could equally be ‘80% of people don’t think a curfew is necessary’ ? Not unreasonable that 1 in 5 would think a 10pm curfew might help ease a load of social issues……I can think of several that would vote that way.

And those people shouldn't really be listened to lol

The scary part is the Gov are listening to polls.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
If we assume that people actually thought about the answers, the fact that 20% of people are happy that they will not be able to leave their house after 10 pm except by permission of a government official, is pretty scary. Perhaps the question ought to be rephrased "Do you agree that leaving your house after 10 pm should be subject to government approval" and see what answer that gets.

I suspect that what people really thought is that the question as put is asking whether people should be subject to 10 pm curfew unless they have a good reason to leave the house. Everybody who leaves the house after 10 pm believes they are doing so for a good reason, or else why should they do it? So in answering the question, people probably believed that it would only apply to other people.

What if "good reason" applies to work and emergencies only? What if the curfew genuinely does man the abolition of evening football and same-day travel to distant away games? Would 20% temporary, 10% permanent, still be in favour then?

Would you give the government carte blanche to decide your social life for evermore and trust them not to do anything you wouldn't like?

I would like to see that question posed in more detail to people not rushing through a fifty-question online questionnaire. I am sure the answer would be different.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Mixed messaging on masks continues from the government this morning. Totally shambolic.

The really stupid thing is continuing with masks in shops and on public transport is massively favoured by the public in all polling on the subject, but they're so caught up in their own dogma that they can't bring themselves to do something that is seemingly so obvious.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
So the government want people to wear face coverings in enclosed spaces but don't want to make themselves unpopular by legislating for it.

Absolute cowards, the lot of them.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The really stupid thing is continuing with masks in shops and on public transport is massively favoured by the public in all polling on the subject, but they're so caught up in their own dogma that they can't bring themselves to do something that is seemingly so obvious.

So what is the issue? if the majority of people are massively favoured then most will still wear them?

I thought he made it quite clear that the expectation was it would continue but its stopped being mandatory because of the times its not needed - on bus/train alone - empty shop etc which you can currently be fined for.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So what is the issue? if the majority of people are massively favoured then most will still wear them?

I thought he made it quite clear that the expectation was it would continue but its stopped being mandatory because of the times its not needed - on bus/train alone - empty shop etc which you can currently be fined for.

By this logic let's remove the speed limits. People will still want to drive at the same speeds so let's remove the enforcement...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Spot on. I think ultimately a lot of people want and need to be told what to do. Being told to use your own judgment just doesn't compute!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here