Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55736239

Deeply concerning from Imperial College London that the current lockdown is not having the affect of getting the R rate beyond 1 and we can expect to see an increase in cases again very soon, putting massive further pressure on the NHS. The government really needs to act now and ensure extra enforcement of the current measures and indeed a tougher, longer lockdown to try and start seeing infections decline. Talk of emerging from lockdown in mid Feb or even March is beginning to look like pie in the sky.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Deeply concerning from Imperial College London that the current lockdown is not having the affect of getting the R rate beyond 1 and we can expect to see an increase in cases again very soon, putting massive further pressure on the NHS. The government really needs to act now and ensure extra enforcement of the current measures and indeed a tougher, longer lockdown to try and start seeing infections decline. Talk of emerging from lockdown in mid Feb or even March is beginning to look like pie in the sky.
Indeed.

I think we need to wait for the clocks to change to BST before things start to relax a bit.

In the meantime they need to look at the 40% school "lockdown" attendance and get it down to nearer the 10% of Lockdown 1.
Extra school in the summer to compensate.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This suggests lockdown and restrictions on hospitality, retail and leisure will be in place well into Summer. I think it is coming home to roost the vaccine will not be the magic bullet and we will still need to keep other measures in place alongside vaccination for the forseeble future.

Furlough wont save these businesses, so its getting to the point for some its actually pointless.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Imperial is the only source saying this, I agree we wont be out anytime soon - but I am not sure too much can be looked into this alone.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Furlough wont save these businesses, so its getting to the point for some its actually pointless.

Agreed for many pubs and restaurants this will probably be the final nail in the coffin, not being able to open until summer and then only with severe covid restrictions and limited capacities.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Furlough wasn't designed to save businesses (certainly after it became clear this wasn't just going to go away in June last year), it's about keeping people with money coming in to prevent sudden, mass unemployment and likely civil unrest.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Furlough wasn't designed to save businesses (certainly after it became clear this wasn't just going to go away in June last year), it's about keeping people with money coming in to prevent sudden, mass unemployment and likely civil unrest.

But without the jobs due to companies failing, there is no point to the Furlough.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But without the jobs due to companies failing, there is no point to the Furlough.

There is if you view it in terms of a Government looking to kick it's problems down the road that little bit further (something they have consistently done with almost everything else for the last few years)

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
This React study is very interesting. Suggests the spike was as a result of people going back to work and back to school after Christmas, not Christmas itself. Highest levels of TRANSMISSION week 6-15th July.
Going to be a critical few weeks as it's looks like lockdown might not be working this time.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Genuinely not sure how you can look at the falling case numbers and assume lockdown isn't working

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Genuinely not sure how you can look at the falling case numbers and assume lockdown isn't working

the React study is looking at different data, field work sample rather than general whole population.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
This React study is very interesting. Suggests the spike was as a result of people going back to work and back to school after Christmas, not Christmas itself. Highest levels of TRANSMISSION week 6-15th July.
Going to be a critical few weeks as it's looks like lockdown might not be working this time.

Well we were told by my company that we would work and attend site visits as normal with all covid protocols in place. And I have noticed nearly if not all manufacturing is back up and running with many offices also filling up. I am not saying its a bad thing I just get the impression, that silently people have made their own decisions and gone back to work, not only to help save their companies but in a lot of cases for their own sanity.

When you say "This " lockdown might not be working I get the impression that the other 2 or 3 lockdowns didn't really help in the long run.

I was working in Guildford Uni last March just when this was starting and in the Lab I was working in a young undergrad and I were talking about the upcoming lockdown, he said something that is starting to make sence ( although I do get the flattening the curve bit) "Imagine a 100 gallon tank and the virus is a hole, you can put your finger over the hole causing the water to drip out off the hole until the tank empties, or just let the water pour out of the hole but that might flood, but the 100 gallon tank will empty which ever way you chose its just a matter of time".

Mind you the vaccine makes that redundant luckily

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Boris Johnson has declined to say whether the national lockdown will be over by summer, as he warned the new Covid variant was spreading "very fast indeed".

On a visit to North West England, where Storm Christoph has caused flooding, Mr Johnson was asked whether restrictions would be eased by the summer.

He said: "I think it's too early to say when we'll be able to lift some of the restrictions.

"We'll look then (February 15) at how we're doing but I think what we're seeing in the ONS data, in the React survey, we're seeing the contagiousness of the new variant that we saw arrive just before Christmas - there's no doubt it does spread very fast indeed.

"It's not more deadly but it is much more contagious and the numbers are very great."

He said it is "absolutely crucial" to obey the current restrictions "in what is unquestionably going to be a tough few weeks ahead".

Later, the Prime Minister's official spokesman refused to rule out a lockdown that extends to the summer.

"We will continue to keep all of the scientific evidence and data under review," he said.

"It remains our position that we want to ease restrictions as soon as it is safe to do so, but in order for us to do that we need to see the transmission rates of the virus come down and we need to see the pressure on the NHS reduce."

Analysis from the UEA found the highly-virulent B.1.1.7 strain which evolved in Kent has made it impossible to ever achieve herd immunity with the current effectiveness of vaccines. The researcher say that even if every person in the UK, including children, gets the Oxford jab, this would only be enough to bring the R rate down to 1.325 when all restrictions are lifted. However, the Oxford vaccine is only approved for over-18s and if all adults - 79 per cent of the UK - got this vaccine, the R rate would be 1.98, they add. Pfizer's jab is approved for everyone over 16 - 81 per cent of the UK

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Boris Johnson has declined to say whether the national lockdown will be over by summer, as he warned the new Covid variant was spreading "very fast indeed".

On a visit to North West England, where Storm Christoph has caused flooding, Mr Johnson was asked whether restrictions would be eased by the summer.

He said: "I think it's too early to say when we'll be able to lift some of the restrictions.

"We'll look then (February 15) at how we're doing but I think what we're seeing in the ONS data, in the React survey, we're seeing the contagiousness of the new variant that we saw arrive just before Christmas - there's no doubt it does spread very fast indeed.

"It's not more deadly but it is much more contagious and the numbers are very great."

He said it is "absolutely crucial" to obey the current restrictions "in what is unquestionably going to be a tough few weeks ahead".

Later, the Prime Minister's official spokesman refused to rule out a lockdown that extends to the summer.

"We will continue to keep all of the scientific evidence and data under review," he said.

"It remains our position that we want to ease restrictions as soon as it is safe to do so, but in order for us to do that we need to see the transmission rates of the virus come down and we need to see the pressure on the NHS reduce."

Analysis from the UEA found the highly-virulent B.1.1.7 strain which evolved in Kent has made it impossible to ever achieve herd immunity with the current effectiveness of vaccines. The researcher say that even if every person in the UK, including children, gets the Oxford jab, this would only be enough to bring the R rate down to 1.325 when all restrictions are lifted. However, the Oxford vaccine is only approved for over-18s and if all adults - 79 per cent of the UK - got this vaccine, the R rate would be 1.98, they add. Pfizer's jab is approved for everyone over 16 - 81 per cent of the UK

That last paragraph is confusing. That seems to assume nobody fights off the virus with T- Cell repsonse, antibodies from previous infection?

Have you got a link to this?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Analysis from the UEA found the highly-virulent B.1.1.7 strain which evolved in Kent has made it impossible to ever achieve herd immunity with the current effectiveness of vaccines. The researcher say that even if every person in the UK, including children, gets the Oxford jab, this would only be enough to bring the R rate down to 1.325 when all restrictions are lifted. However, the Oxford vaccine is only approved for over-18s and if all adults - 79 per cent of the UK - got this vaccine, the R rate would be 1.98, they add. Pfizer's jab is approved for everyone over 16 - 81 per cent of the UK

that sounds extremely unlike anything else read on the variant. its also not representative of herd immunity, unless they are claiming is a new major strain (which it isnt).

ah wait, its from the Daily Mail. :facepalm:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I wonder if the author is aware that if 1,000 people have the virus and they infect 2 people each in a fortnight, then at the end of 32 weeks everyone in the country has the virus; at the end of 34 weeks, everyone has it twice over, and by the end of the year, we would each be catching the virus 75 times per day.

I wonder also if he would get the same result if he allowed that R numbers change over time, and that catching the disease is a way to gain immunity, and that childrens' R numbers are not the same as adults?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here