Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Short of dragging them to a clinic and shoving a needle in their arm, what can be done? The offer is there and a lot simply don’t want it.

Indeed. Unless it is made compulsory there is a real reluctance from large numbers in those groups. That needs to be tackled in order to improve that

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
We are still in a perilous situation. When we still see hospitalisation figures, now standing at over 38,000 people, with the number of people still dying with coronavirus, with the number of hospital admissions increasing, this is no time to speak about the relaxation of measures. We have a long way to go.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We are still in a perilous situation. When we still see hospitalisation figures, now standing at over 38,000 people, with the number of people still dying with coronavirus, with the number of hospital admissions increasing, this is no time to speak about the relaxation of measures. We have a long way to go.

Agree - not publicly at this stage. The press (just been listening to Sky pressing Patel on lockdown release plans) are now seemingly using this stick to beat the Government - ‘waaa waaa we need to know the plan, why aren’t you telling us’ etc. Simple in my view - I absolutely WOULD expect them to be putting detailed plans in place, but WOULD NOT expect or want them to be publishing them yet as it’ll lead to further non-compliance.

Should simply be saying that detailed plans are being considered, but that they are massively contingent on how the data looks at any point in time so we’re not going to commit to any dates or relaxation at this point.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Agree - not publicly at this stage. The press (just been listening to Sky pressing Patel on lockdown release plans) are now seemingly using this stick to beat the Government - ‘waaa waaa we need to know the plan, why aren’t you telling us’ etc. Simple in my view - I absolutely WOULD expect them to be putting detailed plans in place, but WOULD NOT expect or want them to be publishing them yet as it’ll lead to further non-compliance.

Should simply be saying that detailed plans are being considered, but that they are massively contingent on how the data looks at any point in time so we’re not going to commit to any dates or relaxation at this point.

I feel.much the same. Think the worst thing in the world would be to publish a detailed plan. Would lead to those desperate for an end to this to decide for themselves that if everything is easing by date x which is 3 weeks away we won't bother with the rules so much now

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there is a delivery plan published. i expect NHS/PHE have a detailed plan that changes daily as plans do. press want a detail schedule so they can report on every deviation.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I feel.much the same. Think the worst thing in the world would be to publish a detailed plan. Would lead to those desperate for an end to this to decide for themselves that if everything is easing by date x which is 3 weeks away we won't bother with the rules so much now

The flip on this is those desperate will say with no end in sight, what's the point?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The flip on this is those desperate will say with no end in sight, what's the point?

They can talk about the essence of the plan but without specific dates or data points.....no way they can commit to anything at the moment other than commit to reviews of restrictions if the data permits......

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
1,820 deaths today, another record breaking and tragic figure, I don't think the lockdown deniers have ever been more comprehensively wrong.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
See. I didn't read that as suggesting people would break rules but that they would just give up

My take also. I believe many are close to a state of 'learned helplessness'. No matter what one does the restrictions keep coming.

if vaccines don't prove to be the panacea we anticipated, what then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1,820 deaths today, another record breaking and tragic figure, I don't think the lockdown deniers have ever been more comprehensively wrong.

Crikey.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not sure how they can say there's no spike after Christmas when every graph shows a spike during the week after Christmas. one bit says " we might expect to start seeing the impact of a Christmas spike in the first week of the New Year. This is because the typical incubation period - the time for symptoms of the virus to appear - is, on average, about five days." thats exactly what we see, and then case drop off second week of new year.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
In hindsight we went into lockdown in early November too late, really should have been a few weeks earlier to coincide with half term for schools, and given the November lockdown never really made a significant impact on cases and hospitalisations we should not have come out of that lockdown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here