Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Deary me.

You really need to calm down.

What do you class as a denier?

I’ve not seen a person claim it doesn’t exist? Or anyone that holds a different view point claims 6 million Jews didn’t get murdered.

People may not have actually claimed it doesn't exist, but there are still people on here trying to compare it to flu, saying it's no worse, and only last week one contributed by saying, but it's not really a Pandemic, even when presented with the dictionary definition of a Pandemic. So yes, there are deniers!

As for calm down, to be honest I couldn't be much calmer, the odd verbal spat on here allows me to let off a bit of steam, so all is good for me. Hope it is for you too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
People may not have actually claimed it doesn't exist, but there are still people on here trying to compare it to flu, saying it's no worse, and only last week one contributed by saying, but it's not really a Pandemic, even when presented with the dictionary definition of a Pandemic. So yes, there are deniers!

As for calm down, to be honest I couldn't be much calmer, the odd verbal spat on here allows me to let off a bit of steam, so all is good for me. Hope it is for you too.

This is largely how the Covid-excusers, or whatever we want to call them, have played (and maybe will play) things:

Feb: It’s just the flu
Mar: most have already had it
Apr: will go away in summer
May: died with or died of?
Jun: everywhere is the same
Jul: herd immunity @20%
Aug: ‘casedemic’!1!
Sep: false positives
Oct : virus is weaker
Nov: it’s the flu not C-19
Dec: lockdowns made us weak

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This is largely how the Covid-excusers, or whatever we want to call them, have played (and maybe will play) things:

Feb: It’s just the flu
Mar: most have already had it
Apr: will go away in summer
May: died with or died of?
Jun: everywhere is the same
Jul: herd immunity @20%
Aug: ‘casedemic’!1!
Sep: false positives
Oct : virus is weaker
Nov: it’s the flu not C-19
Dec: lockdowns made us weak

You missed...
Jan : it won't come over here, it never does

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Un****ingbelievable. The Czech health minister, after putting the country in masks, and closing all restaurants apart from window take-aways, and deliveries, after 8pm gets caught last night heading into a restaurant at 10pm, without a mask.

Guess a new health minister will be announced very soon. What the **** is wrong with politicians!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
‘COVID-excusers’ :lolol:

Honestly, pathetic. It’s always amusing that people believe they are right with no exceptions, the sarcasm and passive aggressive undertone on this thread as times is ridiculous, what the hell is a COVID-excuser? Some people see a world beyond COVID or have different ideas.

There’s always extremes of both sides of everything in the world not just COVID, I don’t think there is many on here who are extreme on either side, perhaps Dan has more radical views but he’s entitled to believe what he wants, he’s not exactly one of the 5G mentalists is he, and I don’t see anyone else who is a COVID denier or excuser.

It’s like me writing a list about ‘COVID bedwetters’

‘Wait 2 weeks’
‘250000 will die’
‘50000 cases a day by mid October’

The list could go on, plenty of people are wrong on each side of the debate.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I dont think anyone I know, doubts Covid 19 is real and does kill, but its not the only killer. And we have to learn to live with it.

Office for National Statistics (ONS)
@ONS
·
1h
The leading cause of death in September was dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, accounting for 11.2% of deaths in England and 11.1% of deaths in Wales http://ow.ly/uXtP50C0wcS

@ONS
·
1h
#COVID19 did not feature in the top 10 causes of death in September for England and Wales.

• In England it was the 19th most common cause of death

• In Wales it was the 24th most common cause of death

➡️http://ow.ly/NVOe50C0weG

@ONS
·
1h
In January to September 2020, #COVID19 was the underlying cause of death in:

▪️ 11.5% of all deaths that occurred in England (46,501 deaths)

▪️ 9.0% of all deaths in Wales (2,342 deaths)

➡️http://ow.ly/WkKa50C0wAC

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
‘COVID-excusers’ :lolol:

Honestly, pathetic. It’s always amusing that people believe they are right with no exceptions, the sarcasm and passive aggressive undertone on this thread as times is ridiculous, what the hell is a COVID-excuser? Some people see a world beyond COVID or have different ideas.

There’s always extremes of both sides of everything in the world not just COVID, I don’t think there is many on here who are extreme on either side, perhaps Dan has more radical views but he’s entitled to believe what he wants, he’s not exactly one of the 5G mentalists is he, and I don’t see anyone else who is a COVID denier or excuser.

It’s like me writing a list about ‘COVID bedwetters’

‘Wait 2 weeks’
‘250000 will die’
‘50000 cases a day by mid October’

The list could go on, plenty of people are wrong on each side of the debate.

What are the two sides out of interest?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I dont think anyone I know, doubts Covid 19 is real and does kill, but its not the only killer. And we have to learn to live with it.

Nobody seriously has argued we don't have to. But most sensible people are saying we learn to live with it at a point when people have help from the scientific / medical community in the form of a vaccine to protect the most vulnerable from it. It's the same logic which is why we know cancer kills but we still warn people about the things that cause it and develop treatments to tackle it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

What do you mean by "leaning to live with it" though. How would we be living right now, under your plan?

I think most right-minded folk understand that we are in a near impossible position in terms of trying to balance:

- Covid-19 health impacts
- The maintenance of health services for all other conditions (including mental)
- Macro-economic health
- The wellbeing of individuals and businesses impacted by a stuttering economy and demand contraction in many industries

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a magic path out of where we are that means everything will be OK, and it's clearly very difficult to find a path that minimises damage across all of these concerns.

There will be damage in many areas, we need to be able to identify it and support those who are impacted by it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
God bless Maureen from Barnsley. Speaking for the people like no politician has recently.

Ah yes, Maureen from Barnsley who remembers the bombs when she was three years old, with the nearest ones falling in Sheffield. Whose husband has lived through 6 pandemics, which actually were more epidemics and only three of those were classed as epidemics. She was very concerned about money and businesses despite being a pensioner. I wonder why?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
There probably hasn't been any outright Covid-19 denial but I reported a post that went very close. Certainly early on we had someone linking a vaccine to Bill Gates wanting to take over the world.

I suspect left unchallenged a few posters would go off on some fairly elaborate flights of fancy though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Always bemused and relieved in equal measure that off-licences appear to be immune from closure. Tho I'm sure hmgov is only following the science. Well the economic science anyways. Long may that continue to be the case :thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Mauren from Barnsley saying what most people feel

What, that she wants the Government to look after her specifically and screw everyone else?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

mortality rate of less than 1% , infection rate of less than 10% ......its an inconvenience at this stage and in my view being used by politicians to ram home how important they are to us whereas in actual fact they really aren't.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
mortality rate of less than 1% , infection rate of less than 10% ......its an inconvenience at this stage and in my view being used by politicians to ram home how important they are to us whereas in actual fact they really aren't.

Are you really suggesting the whole worlds politicians, possibly excepting Sweden, all got together to screw us over!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

Indeed, I imagine the people who died from it and their families found it very inconvenient.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Scenes in Wales, this cannot be real surely :lolol:

[tweet]1319615885250842624[/tweet]

Must confess they have lost me on this one. Apparently doing it to protect smaller shops who don't get to open but on balance the people need something to keep them going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here