Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Does she not have family? Oh, yes she does, so as a lone person she could bubble with her family if she left the home...

So if she can’t fit in the house of the family?

She needs treatment/care?

You accuse people daily of not caring, yet you write off more people than anyone else on this board

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If that can be done without packed loos, concourses and mass transport, with everyone wearing masks properly over nose and mouth ....then it’s a do-er.

But will us famously non-compliant Brits abide en masse, or will a sizeable proportion of ********s ruin it?

We are pretty much watched 24/7 now , there are plenty around to nudge people of not.

There would also be the side of being aware of the risk, I imagine those in certain groups wouldn’t want to go.

Using the Amex as an example to could encourage using the car park

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So if she can’t fit in the house of the family?

She needs treatment/care?

You accuse people daily of not caring, yet you write off more people than anyone else on this board

Don't talk drivel, just because you say it it doesn't make it true.
If you want me to be honest, and you can quote me all you like...

I "care" about 4 people, care as in feel responsible for.

My wife
Our 4 year old
Our granddaughter
Oh, and me - if that's allowed.

I also care about my Dad, brothers, sister, etc , but I can't control or be responsible for their actions.

I also "care" in the more liberal sense for the millions of vulnerable people out there, who at the moment have zero protection!

But I don't expect you to empathise with or understand any of that...

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We are pretty much watched 24/7 now , there are plenty around to nudge people of not.

There would also be the side of being aware of the risk, I imagine those in certain groups wouldn’t want to go.

"I knew the risks..."

Yes, but did the person you bumped into in the shops, or on the bus, or that person you had inadvertent contact with who then went to see and care for their elderly vulnerable relative ..

It's not just about "me" and "my" choices, it's how those choices affect others too...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

On R5 in recent weeks and months many retail workers and shop owners have called, describing the violence and threats they’ve faced. All for politely asking non-elderly customers to wear a mask.

The usual story, very British, getting close to someone’s face with the old “what ya gonna do about it pal?” In some instances followed by a coward’s punch or shop stock smashed up.

Exemplifying the trait of a sizeable minority in this country, pre and post CV19, who don’t give a monkeys about anyone else, society.

Unless the only transport to games is by car, or there are full blown police officers everywhere on park n ride and trains, stubborn thicko’s will ruin it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
On R5 in recent weeks and months many retail workers and shop owners have called, describing the violence and threats they’ve faced. All for politely asking non-elderly customers to wear a mask.

The usual story, very British, getting close to someone’s face with the old “what ya gonna do about it pal?” In some instances followed by a coward’s punch or shop stock smashed up.

Exemplifying the trait of a sizeable minority in this country, pre and post CV19, who don’t give a monkeys about anyone else, society.

Unless the only transport to games is by car, or there are full blown police officers everywhere on park n ride and trains, stubborn thicko’s will ruin it.

Honestly not seen that once and nor has anyone else in store, I’ve done numerous shift times and Crawley isn’t and area I would say is beyond that kind of behaviours.

What you gunna do about it?

Not let you in the ground.

And without disbelieving the stories - people do make stuff up to be outraged - both sides.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.

My experience of the Test event was that the people who attended were universally well behaved, both in the stadium and on the train afterwards. Realising, I imagine, that the future of fans being allowed back depended on their compliance with jumping through all the hoops. It was hugely well organised and the only negative comment I have is that it's still the same crap hot air dryers in the toilets.

If we were to start with crowds at 10% capacity i.e C3,000 people, there would be no issues with physical distancing and many of those may travel by car.

That said, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Honestly not seen that once and nor has anyone else in store, I’ve done numerous shift times and Crawley isn’t and area I would say is beyond that kind of behaviours.

What you gunna do about it?

Not let you in the ground.

And without disbelieving the stories - people do make stuff up to be outraged - both sides.

Managers at both ASDA Hollingbury and Sainsburys West Hove, told us about violence faced this year, over staff/other customers challenging customers who tried to excessively buy rationed items or fought other customers over those goods. Emergency services have reported an increase in being attacked and spat at. Shop owners and staff have carefully explained how they were attacked.

You’re conflating “outrage“ where third parties collectively jump on an internet bandwagon, with first hand accounts of people attacked or threatened.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My experience of the Test event was that the people who attended were universally well behaved, both in the stadium and on the train afterwards. Realising, I imagine, that the future of fans being allowed back depended on their compliance with jumping through all the hoops. It was hugely well organised and the only negative comment I have is that it's still the same crap hot air dryers in the toilets.

If we were to start with crowds at 10% capacity i.e C3,000 people, there would be no issues with physical distancing and many of those may travel by car.

That said, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Having also been there, I'd echo that. Even if it was reintroduced, due to transportation, I can't see too many more than 3,000 being viable and, if that's the case, you do wonder if it's financially viable for the club.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"I knew the risks..."

Yes, but did the person you bumped into in the shops, or on the bus, or that person you had inadvertent contact with who then went to see and care for their elderly vulnerable relative ..

It's not just about "me" and "my" choices, it's how those choices affect others too...

This is where the "we need to let people take personal responsibility" proposal just collapses.

This isn't about smoking 60-a-day, drinking 2 bottles of whiskey of an evening and living on McDonalds. There you do know the risks (or you should do), you are choosing to ignore them and although that is sad, no one else is going to be adversely impacted by your choices, at least not in terms of physical health.

With Covid-19 you are not living in a "personal responsibility" bubble. Each and every interaction could have serious consequences for someone many connections away from you, possibly some time in the future.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A decent expose of some of the utter bollocks some absolute wankers have been peddling around this:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/journalists-scientists-covid-19_uk_5f8e9458c5b66ee9a5f30d35

It is ****ing dangerous - we see on here how many people latch onto this stuff.

Maybe it's time to start stopping them from doing that then Bozza ? I know its awkward and time consuming and that some people might wail about " free speech " being sacrificed but maybe something needs to change ?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This is where the "we need to let people take personal responsibility" proposal just collapses.

This isn't about smoking 60-a-day, drinking 2 bottles of whiskey of an evening and living on McDonalds. There you do know the risks (or you should do), you are choosing to ignore them and although that is sad, no one else is going to be adversely impacted by your choices, at least not in terms of physical health.

With Covid-19 you are not living in a "personal responsibility" bubble. Each and every interaction could have serious consequences for someone many connections away from you, possibly some time in the future.

We, my friend, are definitely singing from the same hymn sheet...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Maybe it's time to start stopping them from doing that then Bozza ? I know its awkward and time consuming and that some people might wail about " free speech " being sacrificed but maybe something needs to change ?

Yep, with you on this - to me a Covid denier, should be treated with the same disdain as an Holocaust denier.

We all have an opinion as to how things should be played out, but I have heard too many times, even on these boards, "but it's not a pandemic, really" or "it's not a deadly pandemic", without clearly looking up the dictionary definition of "pandemic"...

Just out them, ban them, whatever! I don' t suppose anyone outside of these boards is going to care one way or another...!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Yep, with you on this - to me a Covid denier, should be treated with the same disdain as an Holocaust denier.

We all have an opinion as to how things should be played out, but I have heard too many times, even on these boards, "but it's not a pandemic, really" or "it's not a deadly pandemic", without clearly looking up the dictionary definition of "pandemic"...

Just out them, ban them, whatever! I don' t suppose anyone outside of these boards is going to care one way or another...!

I'm sorry but whilst I don't. Come down on either side now is not the time to mute opinions and NSC would be poorer for doing so.

As for likening covid deniers to holocaust deniers that would see my respect for those I consider sensible dwindle

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'm sorry but whilst I don't. Come down on either side now is not the time to mute opinions and NSC would be poorer for doing so.

As for likening Covid deniers to holocaust deniers that would see my respect for those I consider sensible dwindle

I'm really not advocating stifling opinions, but I am just sick and tired of the "whataboutery" when it comes to all things Covid.

The reality is for many - in a certain age and race demographic, Covid doesn't appear to be a massive problem - however, for a large minority it is. I just hope we can all get onto the same "page" to get things through to the normality that many crave!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Freedom of thought and speech, but it’s where a Covid denier (or the Common Flu is worse types), use a platform to influence - by lying, or deliberately muddying the scientific waters, quote a couple of dissenting scientists on an a niche issue as a reason to dismiss the objective world, quote selective statements from many months ago as if they’re the gospel now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Deary me.

You really need to calm down.

What do you class as a denier?

I’ve not seen a person claim it doesn’t exist? Or anyone that holds a different view point claims 6 million Jews didn’t get murdered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here