Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Really sounded Johnson is shifting the blame to the public

Don't blame the Conservative party when we inevitably bring in new restrictions that interfere with Christmas, blame the rule breakers.

It won't be anything to do with it being wetter, colder and darker, or very importantly a failing test and trace system, it will be people meeting in groups of 7, or staying in a pub past 10pm.

This, ironically, has Cummings greasy hands all over it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Meanwhile, Germany reports just 922 new cases and 0 deaths. On a population about 20 million larger than ours.

But it’s all the British public’s fault for failing to keep their discipline obviously...

We must be the worst of in regards of recovery in Europe now?

I would argue the states are level, if not in a better state than us

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He is very reliable actually

Drifting gradually into the pile of people I label "nutjobs", after a promising start, primarily for this:

[tweet]1308437947272826882[/tweet]

According to this, 5,000 people dying a day would be OK so long as health services are not overwhelmed. No extension of restrictions would be required.

It's easy to call these imaginary shots to your little gang of devotees you've assembled by posting a few graphs, when you don't have to make decisions that impact tens of millions of people.

The key problem, for everyone, is how hospitalisations and deaths lag infection by days and weeks. We're already locked into the next month, if not more, regardless of what we change today. Despite that, I would expect to see some of the more whacky armchair epidemiologists saying "Your restrictions didn't work" if we are unfortunate and see a continuation in the rise of hospitalisations and deaths 3-5 weeks from now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The US is on a downward trend for both cases and deaths now so they’re definitely not winning the Crisis Country Cup right now. We’ve got France in the semis.

Macron told the heath minister to go away and do his job on testing when he suggested another tightening/lock down

Think we can take them in the semi and set up a final with Peru

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We must be the worst of in regards of recovery in Europe now?

I would argue the states are level, if not in a better state than us

Recovery?

All western European nations did well in the end to get CV19 to very low numbers, through strict lockdowns, Sweden with its own approach. That was that.

Then with restrictions eased across all countries, Ireland less so, CV19 numbers inevitably took off again with the predicted second wave. Once again ahead of the curve over us, France, Netherlands and Spain currently have far more new cases per million than the UK. I presume we’ll soon match that, sadly.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Recovery?

All western European nations did well in the end to get CV19 to very low numbers, through strict lockdowns, Sweden with its own approach. That was that.

Then with restrictions eased across all countries, Ireland less so, CV19 numbers inevitably took off again with the predicted second wave. Once again ahead of the curve over us, France, Netherlands and Spain currently have far more new cases per million than the UK. I presume we’ll soon match that, sadly.

Deaths are staying level in those places, according to Whitty If we don’t do anything ours will potentially double every 7 days

France are still relaxing measures

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Essentially what Boris is saying, unless there is a miracle and the virus disappears, a vaccine is the only viable way out, I can only guess he and the scientists are almost certain any vaccine will work because pinning every hope of this countries future on a phantom vaccine seems awfully inept to me. I’ll be honest I’m not that enamoured about a vaccine, I don’t want it, I would take it if I was vulnerable or elderly but as someone who is very healthy and in my mid twenties, I’m edging towards not wanting it.

So, in a years time, we could be in the exact same position we are in now... :(

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Deaths are staying level in those places, according to Whitty If we don’t do anything ours will potentially double every 7 days

France are still relaxing measures

We can’t have it both ways - these restrictions are awful, they’re unnecessary because there are next to no CV19 deaths. Then in the same argument that “this country is recovering the worst”, all is good in France, Netherlands and Spain.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Drifting gradually into the pile of people I label "nutjobs", after a promising start, primarily for this:

[tweet]1308437947272826882[/tweet]

According to this, 5,000 people dying a day would be OK so long as health services are not overwhelmed. No extension of restrictions would be required.

It's easy to call these imaginary shots to your little gang of devotees you've have assembled by posting a few graphs, when you don't have to make decisions that impact tens of millions of people.

The key problem, for everyone, is how hospitalisations and deaths lag infection by days and weeks. We're already locked into the next month, if not more, regardless of what we change today. Despite that, I would expect to see some of the more whacky armchair epidemiologists saying "Your restrictions didn't work" if we are unfortunate and see a continuation in the rise of hospitalisations and deaths 3-5 weeks from now.

Where’s his quote of 5000 a day

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The US is on a downward trend for both cases and deaths now so they’re definitely not winning the Crisis Country Cup right now. We’ve got France in the semis.

The US most certainly is not on a downward trend for cases - https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/21/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html - I follow the US situation closely for a number of reasons. And when cases start going up, those other metrics will follow - we've seen that pretty much everywhere (probably absolutely everywhere)/

I'll even save you the click and scroll to get to the graph:

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 21.36.21.png

As of Monday, 28 states had more new cases this past week compared to the previous week, according to Johns Hopkins data. Sixteen states are holding steady, and only six states are showing declines in new cases: Delaware, Hawaii, Louisiana, Michigan, South Carolina and Vermont.

But it's not just the raw numbers of new cases that the public should pay attention to. It's also the test positivity rates -- the percentage of tests taken that turn out to be positive. The World Health Organization (WHO) has advised governments maintain test positivity rates at or below 5% for at least two weeks before businesses reopen.As of Monday morning, 27 states and Puerto Rico had test positivity rates higher than that 5% threshold, according Johns Hopkins University.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh right so you used a figure plucked out of thin air to back your narrative ...

Well, yes. But I could have said 10 deaths. 100. 1,000. 5,000. 10,000, 1 million. The number doesn't actually matter. Use whichever number you want - big or small.

Regardless of how many people are dying, no additional restrictions are necessary according do your man, as long as the health service isn't overwhelmed.

We were losing close to 1,000 a day at our worst back in early April, and I don't believe our heath service was overwhelmed. If that were to happen again, my interpretation of his stated strategy would be that we don't need to do anything different, and no further restrictions would be required.

I don't know what you think my narrative is here, it's simply that I think this bloke has let his little bit of twitter fame go to his head somewhat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here